The Drugstore Makeup Counter: An Expose.

Cosmopolitics

I work at a drugstore makeup counter.

soapbox.gif

The company's actions concerning the counter are deplorable. We aren't allowed to reprimand customers if they are opening sealed makeup, "testing" it, "testing" other products on the shelves such as lotion, etc. "It will drive the customer away" they say. So how am I to ensure quality product?

The thing is, I can't. I'm not allowed to do that either, apparently.

I went through the lipsticks on Sunday and tried to damage out quite a few of them because they had clearly been touched, used, mashed-up, you name it. When I came in the next day, I was confronted by one of the managers.

"You can't do that." he said. "That's thousands right there."

"Well, exactly." I said. "Maybe we should prevent this problem altogether by, I dunno, being able to tell the customer "no" or put up signage saying "don't do this"?"

"We technically can't do that either."

I opened up a tube of lipstick, the tip completely worn down, obviously used. "Would you buy this?"

"I dunno, I'm not a girl."

"Makeup has hygiene issues, especially lipstick and mascara. You can get cold sores and other illnesses if you use unsanitary makeup."

"Still, we can't damage it out. Maybe wipe the tops of them off with tissue or something." :what:

"That isn't going to help. Who wants to buy a lipstick that clearly looks like it has been tampered with? I wouldn't!"

They wouldn't let me do it, even after I explained why it needed to be done. The company is knowingly selling you tainted makeup and it makes me sick to my stomach.

This is a very good reason why I buy my makeup at MAC.

Other tidbits:

The girls at the counter get no formal training. They recieve a regular cashier's training, and that's all. Everything else is guesswork. The cosmetics brand "schools" (more like meetings, seminars, and not really a school) are for the head "beauty advisor" only, and even then, she says, you don't learn much there.

The girls are often hired for the position because they are a pretty face, garrulous, and "put-together." There is no knowledge needed. I'm only lucky I knew about makeup when I started.

A case in point is one of the high school girls who works the counter in the evening. She is dumb as rocks when it comes to cosmetics. She wears foundation that is a couple of shades too dark for her face.

"It makes me look tanner." she says. No, it makes you look like your face is dirty. When people ask her about makeup, she is completely clueless. Same for the head "beauty advisor." She's also dumb as dirt when it comes to makeup.

We are also expected to sell things that we know absolutely nothing about. I've been talked to a couple of times because I refuse to sell something which I haven't a clue about. I refuse to be dishonest.

I'm tempted to resign my position. The disgusting quality of the makeup they allow on the shelves probably is the final straw.

MiCHiE

That's a shame. People hold you all in high regard. I can't tell you how many times I go to Sally Beauty Supply and hear customers asking the cashier about color, conditioner, etc...They don't know, for the most part. Their knowledge of beauty products is limited to what's written on the package, in many cases.

mallory

Yes, I don't know how many times I've found a lipstick I like only to find it's been open and crushed into the lid! That is one big reason why I'm leery of buying DS makeup, not really the quality of the product itself as much as the odds of it being tampered with.

Beauty Mark

I only buy drug store makeup if it's been sealed or obvious that no one has touched it. I usually choose whatever is in the back.

It seems illegal that they would be allowed to knowingly sell contaminated products. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Dreamergirl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I only buy drug store makeup if it's been sealed or obvious that no one has touched it. I usually choose whatever is in the back.

It seems illegal that they would be allowed to knowingly sell contaminated products. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Word. Hell-o, herpes/pink eye/etc.

Holly

Sounds like you work at the same place as me
winks.gif

It's awful, all the other girls at my counters know absolutely nothing about any of the makeup that we sell. In fact, I'm the only one in the cosmetics department that wears makeup.. I cant even wrap my mind around that one. Anyhow, I was listening to one of the girls the other day, and a woman wanted help finding a bronzer, and the girl said to "just get a darker shade of the foundation you use and use that instead, it goes into the skin better" Im like... what?!

We're also not allowed to reprimand customers either for using makeup that isn't a tester, or opening lipsticks or eyeliners, and putting them back on the shelf. I did it once, and one of my co-workers were like "What are you doing? They're going to stop shopping here if you don't let them do that" and I think to myself why would you want a customer like that? I mean they're making you lose a lot of money in the long run.

Luckily my boss- the "Beauty advisor" (Who doesn't even wear makeup, she hates the stuff actually) lets me make my own decisions about certain things. Like the used makeups. If I see something that's been opened, used, or smooshed, I throw it out. And if I notice a customer buying something that's been opened, I go and get an unopened product immediately.

I'm so glad that I have a lot of product knowledge (with a little help from specktra
winks.gif
), because I have customers always asking me about what we sell. But when I don't know, I just tell them that. But if I know someone who's tried a product, I tell the customer about the experience that my friend, or whoever had with it.

Honestly I'd love to work at MAC or Sephora (ones opening in our mall soon!) but this is my first job (even though I'm 19) and Im sure I need more work experience. I might apply anyhow, a few people said I should, and I think I'd get a few referrals.
smiles.gif

Sorry if I didnt make much sense I didn't get much sleep yesterday!
rofl.gif

Cosmopolitics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Sounds like you work at the same place as me
winks.gif

It's awful, all the other girls at my counters know absolutely nothing about any of the makeup that we sell. In fact, I'm the only one in the cosmetics department that wears makeup.. I cant even wrap my mind around that one. Anyhow, I was listening to one of the girls the other day, and a woman wanted help finding a bronzer, and the girl said to "just get a darker shade of the foundation you use and use that instead, it goes into the skin better" Im like... what?!

We're also not allowed to reprimand customers either for using makeup that isn't a tester, or opening lipsticks or eyeliners, and putting them back on the shelf. I did it once, and one of my co-workers were like "What are you doing? They're going to stop shopping here if you don't let them do that" and I think to myself why would you want a customer like that? I mean they're making you lose a lot of money in the long run.

Luckily my boss- the "Beauty advisor" (Who doesn't even wear makeup, she hates the stuff actually) lets me make my own decisions about certain things. Like the used makeups. If I see something that's been opened, used, or smooshed, I throw it out. And if I notice a customer buying something that's been opened, I go and get an unopened product immediately.

I'm so glad that I have a lot of product knowledge (with a little help from specktra
winks.gif
), because I have customers always asking me about what we sell. But when I don't know, I just tell them that. But if I know someone who's tried a product, I tell the customer about the experience that my friend, or whoever had with it.

Honestly I'd love to work at MAC or Sephora (ones opening in our mall soon!) but this is my first job (even though I'm 19) and Im sure I need more work experience. I might apply anyhow, a few people said I should, and I think I'd get a few referrals.
smiles.gif

Sorry if I didnt make much sense I didn't get much sleep yesterday!
rofl.gif

Yup, looks like we are counter twins!
lol.gif

If I wasn't a college freshman with limited job experience, I would have walked out, then and there. (It also doesn't help that I'm the one having to reprimand all of the lazy store staff, too.)

I know the most about makeup in my store, by far. In fact, I'm really the only one with proper knowledge of it. For godsake, the head beauty advisor wears lipliner on her eyes and bakes so much in the sun that she has leather-face.
th_crazy2.gif

I have a lot of regular customers who return to my counter because I am honest. I don't BS them. I have big issues with dishonesty.

The trouble is, is that it isn't even the focus of the so-called "cosmetics" counter. The counter itself is name only. The counter is all "sales" quota and no knowledge. And even then, the district's quotas are unrealistic and unreasonable, especially for a slow store such as mine.

Holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmopolitics
Yup, looks like we are counter twins!
lol.gif

If I wasn't a college freshman with limited job experience, I would have walked out, then and there. (It also doesn't help that I'm the one having to reprimand all of the lazy store staff, too.)

I know the most about makeup in my store, by far. In fact, I'm really the only one with proper knowledge of it. For godsake, the head beauty advisor wears lipliner on her eyes and bakes so much in the sun that she has leather-face.
th_crazy2.gif

I have a lot of regular customers who return to my counter because I am honest. I don't BS them. I have big issues with dishonesty.

The trouble is, is that it isn't even the focus of the so-called "cosmetics" counter. The counter itself is name only. The counter is all "sales" quota and no knowledge. And even then, the district's quotas are unrealistic and unreasonable, especially for a slow store such as mine.

Bahaha lipliner on her eyes? That's HORRIBLE LOL

Yep, we haven't been on our "quota" apparently for years.

And I totally agree with you about dishonesty. If you're not honest, they won't come back! So there's really no point in lying at all.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeni
And this is why I don't buy drugstore brands...

Ditto. I don't buy makeup in ds or walmart, target, etc.

..kels*

blech! am i the only one who didn't know this?!? that is absolutely disgusting! me & my best friend from middle school used to be sneaky about opening & testing products from the shelf. we both assumed we'd get in trouble for it, because even at 13 years old we knew how unsanitary it was. i find it appalling that drugstore management turns a blind eye to this.
nonono.gif

Cosmopolitics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..kels*
blech! am i the only one who didn't know this?!? that is absolutely disgusting! me & my best friend from middle school used to be sneaky about opening & testing products from the shelf. we both assumed we'd get in trouble for it, because even at 13 years old we knew how unsanitary it was. i find it appalling that drugstore management turns a blind eye to this.
nonono.gif

I find it appalling as well. Apparently they've noticed my disgust and abhorrence and moved me over to Photo 4/5 days a week. It isn't going to solve their repugnant problem. They'd figured they'd rather move me than clean up their act. But at least I don't have to be associated with that filthy department as much.

Today when I was up front and people brought cosmetics up there, I was checking them like mad. Haha.

MiCHiE

I also had NO idea that the items were not sealed until I started posting here. The only DS things I had ever bought were shrinkwrapped....I had never really paid attention to every line in the store. Just last night I stopped in Walgreens and was looking at a line they were closing out. Sure enough, one of the sponges in the palette had been used and was sitting pretty in the tray, full of color.

Dark_Phoenix

I only buy things that are shrink wrapped, have "safety seals" or plastic packaging. I realllly hate when I'm looking at lipsticks and people have tryed them on and ruined the color on top. I mean, I will admit to opening a couple of the lids if they're not shrink wrapped to check out color and unused-ness but it's kinda nasty to see a crumbled up, icked out lipstick someone has smashed on their face and put back.

MAC_Pixie04

No offense to anybody who works with drugstore cosmetics or purchases/wears it, but the idea makes me sick to my stomach.

The thought of not having testers and hygiene supplies near the makeup at Target, Rite Aid etc is disgusting to me. And I get twice as grossed out when I see people buying things that have been opened and used because they think it can just be wiped off. Or people testing everything and then putting it back when it's not what they're looking for. Subpar ingredients and packaging that look and feels cheap. I know not everybody can afford designer makeup, but I know that corporations can afford to make quality products and maintain low prices, and I also know that retailers (Target, Wal-Mart, CVS etc) can afford to supply testers and hygiene supplies to their consumers for their satisfaction and protection.

I'd rather spend $40 on my foundation and know that it matches my skin and hasn't been fucked with at the store than to go to Target and guess a shade, grab a foundation that someone's fingers have been in, and go home and hope to god it works and I didn't just waste $6.

NicksWifey

Thank you for posting this!!

I hardly ever buy drugstore makeup, but the few staples I do love that are from the drugstore or Wal-Mart or Target, are usually pre packaged, thank god. I hate to go in Wal-Mart and see a bunch of childish bitches trying foundation on each other and lip colors and then just throwing it back on the rack. You just want to knock their heads together. I've lost count of how many times I've seen damaged and open products from Wal-Mart, CVS, Rite-Aid, Target, you name it. It's horrible.

BarrelOfDonkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
No offense to anybody who works with drugstore cosmetics or purchases/wears it, but the idea makes me sick to my stomach.

The thought of not having testers and hygiene supplies near the makeup at Target, Rite Aid etc is disgusting to me. And I get twice as grossed out when I see people buying things that have been opened and used because they think it can just be wiped off. Or people testing everything and then putting it back when it's not what they're looking for. Subpar ingredients and packaging that look and feels cheap. I know not everybody can afford designer makeup, but I know that corporations can afford to make quality products and maintain low prices, and I also know that retailers (Target, Wal-Mart, CVS etc) can afford to supply testers and hygiene supplies to their consumers for their satisfaction and protection.

I'd rather spend $40 on my foundation and know that it matches my skin and hasn't been fucked with at the store than to go to Target and guess a shade, grab a foundation that someone's fingers have been in, and go home and hope to god it works and I didn't just waste $6.

Wal-mart does have testers, at least for all the brands that will supply them with testers anyway. Maybelline, Cover Girl, N.Y.C., Rimmel, L'oreal, Revlon, they all have testers. The only one I can think of that doesn't is Physician's Formula. People steal the testers a lot of the time just because they're the easiest to grab while passing by the shelf, but as soon as new testers come in they go back out on the shelves.

Willa

But you know, not everybody is aware about the hygiene facts. Not to excuse any disgusting people who opens testers and put them back on the display... But last w/e I went to the drugstore with my man and saw a bronzing powder. I tested it on my hand and then my man told me : Try it on your cheeks!

You should have seen the face I made
lol.gif

He now knows that we just CAN'T try the testers on our face...

Heiaken

Here in Finland in any store super/hypermarkets have testers on make up, nailpolish is the only thing that doesn't have them I think. Also if someone sees you to open up something else that isn't a tester you have to pay for it. So in here drugstore cosmetics do have the same hygiene standards that high end brands have.