The evolution of "beauty"

ellienellie

GodTube.com - Evolution-a dove film

I think this is a fascinating and sadly, common misconception of how a lot us view other women on billboards/t.v etc and often wish we looked more like them.

Even though we know they've had an entire team of professional make-up artists, hairstylists, fashion designers and had every blemish, mark and so called "imperfection" wiped away and airbrushed to within an inch of their life, we still "aspire" to perfection.....

It just doesn't exist.

frocher

Lately there has been controversy about the Dove campaign. Although they have ads for real beauty and have been using "real" models, they have recently admitted that in the ads the models were airbrushed.

Kuuipo

Pretty much everything and everyone in print is photoshopped from jello to babies. Its when we photoshop people to "perfection" and have them believe it is real because its a photograph - it does tamper with most people's perception of what they should look like, if even unconsciously.

frocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo
Pretty much everything and everyone in print is photoshopped from jello to babies. Its when we photoshop people to "perfection" and have them believe it is real because its a photograph - it does tamper with most people's perception of what they should look like, if even unconsciously.

Yes, but when their stance is photoshopping women's bodies gives unreal standards for girls to live up to I don't expect them to be photoshopping women's butts and bellies. The company was sheepish about it when this was exposed and refused to release the undoctored photos.

Beauty Mark

I wish there was some way to change the fact girls are given physical standards to live to beyond being healthy. Even if they use real people, it doesn't mean we can live up to those standards

KikiB

Psh I've always hated Dove but when they came out with that "Real Women" crap I officially boycotted them. The sad part is that they pay for advertising in mags like Vogue-taking away advertising space from fashion brands. Call me stupid, but I would rather see an advert with Chanel Iman or ALK, two models I do not like, than the Dove stuff.

SparklingWaves

I saw this a while back and I was glad that I did. I really did not know that photos were being altered to this extent. I think this was a good educational video.

This is my favorite before and after of photoshope of a teen. This made me see advertisements differently. Click the picture to see each part that was altered.

Girlpower - Retouch

redambition

The campaign for real beauty is simply an advertising strategy used by Unilever (who must have acquired Dove at some point as I distinctly remember them being a P&G brand several years ago).

Now, to draw upon something I saw on a TV show that analyses advertising...

Consider the ad campaigns on some other Unilever brands:

Lynx - male fantasies played out with sexy, barely clad, airbrushed girls.
Sunsilk - the current Australian campaign promotes a runway model look
Slim Fast - need I say more?

All things considered, it makes it harder to believe that the Dove campaign is really meaningful when the same parent company portrays women in the usual unrealistic way.

k.a.t

This is actually really sad
ssad.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiB
Psh I've always hated Dove but when they came out with that "Real Women" crap I officially boycotted them. The sad part is that they pay for advertising in mags like Vogue-taking away advertising space from fashion brands. Call me stupid, but I would rather see an advert with Chanel Iman or ALK, two models I do not like, than the Dove stuff.

Vogue should be smart enough to know its reader. It isn't like Dove forced them to place an ad without benefits to Vogue

KikiB

I know but as a reader of fashion magazines, I would prefer to NOT see those types of adverts-which is why I rarely buy American fashion mags anymore.

ellienellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo

Exactly. It really does have an effect on how we view ourselves. Comparing our own bodies/looks to those derived artificially.

Not good, especially all the young girls who are even more susceptible to such propaganda.

ellienellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.a.t
This is actually really sad
ssad.gif

I agree hun.

I mean what the heck was wrong with her after she had her hair and make-up done? she looked great.

But no... they had to stretch her neck, slim her face and widen her eyes as well!!?
nonono.gif

It is sad.
ssad.gif

CherryLex

The only magazines I subscribe to anymore are Self & Women's Health and what really gets to me is the fact that even these "Health" touting mags are airbrushing models... and it's so obvious in most of the pictures.
I know when I was in school (graduated '97) I had a hard enough time with self confidence and my appreance and things just keep getting worse. It makes me not want to have kids considering this artifical world we're developing for them. And when I say "we" I mean huge, money grabbing corporations, lol.

Arisone

Yes, it is sad. I saw the commercial a while back. I don't even understand what's the point of them even having the model pose for a picture. By the time they photoshop her she's not even going to look like herself. What's the point of hiring a model, makeup artists, hair stylists and wardrobe consultants, etc, when they could just hire an artist to draw a woman in photoshop?

I'm not surprised there was photoshopping in the Dove ads.

Also, I rarely look at fashion magazines and even refuse to read some women's mags. I don't want to be bombarded with "artificial beauty".

c00ki312

i saw this last year and was amazed by the transformation. although she looked good, it wasnt really her. they photoshopped so much that it made me think 'what was wrong with her in the first place?' and is that how much change we should do to look perfect?! and im also shocked dove airbrushed. of all people, i never would have expected them. it kinda defeats the whole purpose of their campaign.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryLex
The only magazines I subscribe to anymore are Self & Women's Health and what really gets to me is the fact that even these "Health" touting mags are airbrushing models... and it's so obvious in most of the pictures.

I find Self to be one of the worst. It touts health but the models they use are so thin (and it looks unnatural). At least that was how it was when I stopped reading it. The last time I flipped through it at Borders, nothing had changed.

I read Lucky and Allure. With Allure, alot of it I just ignore. I am more interested in seeing new products.

k.a.t

I wonder how this made the poor girl feel? I know i'd be wondering what is so wrong with me that i have to be virtually re-invented in order for my picture to go up for public viewing.
ssad.gif

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.a.t
I wonder how this made the poor girl feel? I know i'd be wondering what is so wrong with me that i have to be virtually re-invented in order for my picture to go up for public viewing.
ssad.gif

what was done to her (makeup and subsequent image doctoring) is normal for any print campaign or fashion shoot images in the glossies.

the problem is that we see these images as "normal". they're not. no one looks that perfect, no one has skin that doesn't have a single imperfection.

ever wondered why celebs seem to look haggard and tired in many images caught by a paparazzo? it's because the images in photoshoots are doctored beyond belief. the paparazzi pics show them for how they really look, day to day.

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
what was done to her (makeup and subsequent image doctoring) is normal for any print campaign or fashion shoot images in the glossies.

the problem is that we see these images as "normal". they're not. no one looks that perfect, no one has skin that doesn't have a single imperfection.

ever wondered why celebs seem to look haggard and tired in many images caught by a paparazzo? it's because the images in photoshoots are doctored beyond belief. the paparazzi pics show them for how they really look, day to day.

I know what they done to her is 'normal', but i can't help but wonder if this has an effect on the actual models?

I agree, a lot of girls/women see these photoshopped-to-death pictures in ads etc and think that this is what they're meant to look like; it's not doing our self-esteem any favours but it is the sad reality of today, and it is what sells products - this ideal image of "perfection" we're constantly being fed.

Latest posts