the high-end virgin needs help.

Vendetta

Since I don't have access to much high-end makeup (just Lancome, Clinique and that sort of thing) here in Roanoke, I'd love to try some new high-end things.

What kinds of makeup do you recommend to begin buying high-end with? I collect Urban Decay powders, but that's about all I have.

Where did you look when you started buying high-end? Favourite products? Good deals anywhere?

I guess I just need recommendations as to what products to get first
eyelove.gif

(And it doesn't have to be just MAC...it can be other brands too.)

Lealei

That all depends on what kind of makeup you like to wear. In terms of staple items...

+Pressed powder compact [Clinique and MAC make the best ones IMHO, but I prefer MAC's Select Sheer]
+Tinted moisturizer/sheer foundation [Tarte's Smooth Operator is great and pretty foolproof. Check it out at Sephora.com]
+Blush [I love The Body Shop's Lip and Cheek Tint, but that's not quite high end lol]
+Eyeshadow [MAC is the best one for this hehehe. Get at least 3 colors: one for all over the lid, one for the crease, and one for your lashline.]
+Mascara [You're gonna have to ask about this one, I don't use high end mascara]
+Lipstick/Lip Gloss [I love MAC lipstick, I haven't tried the gloss yet]

blondehott

Lancome effacernes concealer is great.also I love lancome color focus eyeshadows.Lancome has pretty juiscy tubes too esp.melon,peche,spring fling
smiles.gif

flowerhead

flowerhead said:
High end basics:
-Studio Fix foundation, the range of colours is huge and give you a non-fussy matte finish
-Select Sheer powder (Loose/pressed), makes skin feel like velvet, stops shine
-Diorshow mascara, the best mascara around in mine and many people's opinion. Gives you huge unclumpy eyelashes
-NARS Bronzer/Blush, Finely milled, beautiful colours
-MAC eyeshadow, get three basic neutral colours for lash, line and crease, and several to make your eye colour 'pop'
-MAC lipliner/eyeliner, Soft and waxy, stunning colours
-MAC brushes:
116 Blush brush
136 Large powder
242 Shader brush
209 Eyeliner brush
269 Medium angle brush

Hope that helps!

flowerhead

flowerhead said:
High end basics:
-Studio Fix foundation, the range of colours is huge and give you a non-fussy matte finish
-Select Sheer powder (Loose/pressed), makes skin feel like velvet, stops shine
-Diorshow mascara, the best mascara around in mine and many people's opinion. Gives you huge unclumpy eyelashes
-NARS Bronzer/Blush, Finely milled, beautiful colours
-MAC eyeshadow, get three basic neutral colours for lash, line and crease, and several to make your eye colour 'pop'
-MAC lipliner/eyeliner, Soft and waxy, stunning colours
-MAC brushes:
116 Blush brush
136 Large powder
242 Shader brush
209 Eyeliner brush
269 Medium angle brush

Hope that helps!

LatinaRose

nars blush and eyeshadow
dior lipgloss
lancome juicy tubes
mac eyeshadow, studio fix fluid, lipglass, and fluidline

exballerina

- Laura Mercier: foundation, tinted moisturizer, concealers, powders
- Chanel: blushes, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, eye shadow
- Stila: convertible color, lipgloss, eye shadow
- Estee Lauder: mascara, eyeliner
- Nars: blush, nail polish
- Tarte: cheek stains, lipbalms
- Too Faced: bronzer, blush, lip injection

Hm... there are more, but can't think anymore!

Kat

I would recommend investing in high end foundation and powder (also because the MAs can match you at the counter to take the stress out of it) eyeshadow and lipstick.

If you're not looking to get everything high end in the beginning then I think there are a lot of good, cheaper blushes out there. Same goes for mascara, but make sure you check out the reviews in make up alley. However, you tend to get what you pay for with eyeshadow - the more expensive ones are easier to apply and more richly coloured (although there are obviously still the duds). I find a lot of the cheaper stuff looks great in the pan but it's just not worth the effort to apply. Lipstick is a similar deal I suppose - the textures are just sooo much better high end IMHO!

midnightlouise

Well as for good deals, do you have TJMaxx & Marshall's anywhere close? I've found some cool stuff there that was fairly cheap: Urban Decay, Hard Candy, Sugar, Rocket City...it's kind of medium-end I guess lol! but still it was stuff they were selling at Sephora but for 1/3 the price. Also do you have any cosmetics company outlets near? That's a great place to look for EL brands at a cheaper price. Some of my favorite products aside from tons of MAC, which is a given
greengrin.gif
are in general:

Urban Decay e/s
Cargo & NARS blushes & bronzers
Stila e/s, It glosses, palettes
Shu Uemura e/s
BE foundation, glimpses & glimmers (e/s)
Pout e/s duos

and specific:
Lorac Croc palette
Diorshow mascara
Too Faced Park Avenue Princess palette

And one last thing I did...when I first got into high end stuff, I looked at what people were talking about here and on MUA and then I checked the reviews to see what people who bought the stuff were saying about it. Checking those reviews has saved me hundreds of dollars over the last few years.
smiles.gif

Hope some of this helped a little!