The Illusion of Sex.

Tahti

That's awesome, I was just thinking about this recently!
What actually makes a face masculine or feminine? Typical 'feminine' traits such as high cheekbones and full lips can look just as lovely on men, and appear masculine on them. Similarly strong jaws or heavy eyebrows can look beautiful on women. If you got rid of hair/makeup/whatever on a man and a woman, possibly siblings who have similar faces, I'm sure there wouldn't be much difference at all..

X4biddenxLustX

I thought this was neat. So I guess when we do contouring and highlight we're manipulating our features for a more feminine look? If that makes any sense?

tremorviolet

I wonder how much of this is cultural. We're used to seeing women wearing make-up and so may be conditioned to view more contrast as more feminine. I also wonder what the results would be if the faces weren't presented side by side. Would you still pick the left one as the female if it were mixed in with a bunch of different photos?

Very interesting tho'; thanks for the post.

chocolategoddes

Stuff like this is so interesting to me.
I don't know about everyone else, but I love playing up my masculine/ feminine features of my face with makeup, so you could be on to something.
We contour and highlight our cheeks to make them appear more prominent.
We arech our brows to make them look lifted.
We line and gloss our lips to make them fuller and defined.
We wear falsies and liner to enhance our eyes. All of this makes our faces look much more feminine if you think about it.

metal_romantic

I thought they both looked female.
th_dunno.gif

BEA2LS

i can see a male and female but i wonder if i didnt read any of this first how it woulda looked to me?