• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

The Magic Behind makeupMOMMA's Brows

makeupMOMMA

Aloha folks
smiles.gif

Wanted to share with everyone my step-by-step guide as to how I do my eyebrows. Results will vary from person to person, as our shapes are very different, but the general technique of filling in eyebrows is fairly universal. And remember this: Your eyebrows are sisters, not twins
winkiss.gif

Enjoy!

Aloha,
Mrs. Lynne

Step 1: Get your materials ready, eyebrow powder and a dense angle brush. Not included in this tutorial, but optional items can include eyebrow wax and/or a water-based medium like MAC's Mixing Medium or MAC's FIX+. I have a preference of using powder for my eyebrows versus pencil because in my experience using eyebrow powder seems to blend more naturally.

The rule of thumb in choosing an eyebrow shade is to go 2-3 notches lighter than the natural hair color of your eyebrows. I use this rule in conjunction with matching my eyebrow shadow closest to what color the hair is on my head also. When my hair was light brown, I chose a much lighter shade than what I'm using today because this shade just made the overall appearance too dramatic. But since my hair is in it's natural black state, this color is suiting. Use your best judgment.
006.jpg

Step 2: Depending on the color of eyebrow powder you're using and the natural color of your eyebrows, you can either tap your brush into the powder for a hint of color or run your brush across the powder a few times to have a bolder application. The inner tips of my eyebrows are much darker than the outer so I scape my powder a couple times to match close to my natural eyebrow hair color.
007.jpg

Step 3: Starting near the inner eyebrow where it "appears" the bottom part of your eyebrow starts, place the brush UNDER the eyebrow hair.
008.jpg

Step 4: Guide the brush along your arch stopping at the tip where your eyebrow "appears" to end. I use these points as a guideline for my eyebrows natural curve. You can choose to extend the length of your eyebrow at this point.
009.jpg

Step 5: Go back to your inner eyebrow and extend it further towards your nose but no more than 25-30 degrees past your tearduct. It should look like this.
010.jpg

Step 6: Now starting from the inner eyebrow, glide the brush along the top of your eyebrows using the edges of where your eyebrow naturally forms as a guide. Only do this up to the arch.
011.jpg

Step 7: Once I hit the arch of my eyebrow, instead of lining the rest of the upper eyebrow to the tip, I simply position my brush above the upper eyebrow (as if I were to continue lining it) and drag the brush down to meet the line bottom line already drawn in. Doing this shades in the eyebrow and gives you more control in making the tip gradually thinner. Do this until you reach the tip.
012.jpg

Step 8: Go back and shade in the inner part of your eyebrow. Drawing the lines on either side of the brow is similar to lining the lines in a coloring book before coloring inside. It helps to keep the color in one spot.
013.jpg

When it's all shaded in, it should look like this.
014.jpg

Step 9: Touch up the bottom part of the eyebrow using a Q-Tip gradually thinning (but not TOO thin) as you approach the arch. Shape to your desire.
015.jpg

The arch is where I begin to really taper and finish off the eyebrow.
016.jpg

Step 10: Using the other end of the Q-Tip, round off the corners near the inner (upper and lower) part of the eyebrow.
017.jpg

And.... Tada!
018.jpg

newagetomatoz

Great tutorial!! I can't wait to try this out since I have no clue on how to apply brow powder! YAY!! Uniform brows for me! Thanks!

Shimmer

Do you do your brows before or after foundation? I know some girls who do theirs first, then do the foundation saying it makes it look more natural.

makeupMOMMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetomatoz
Great tutorial!! I can't wait to try this out since I have no clue on how to apply brow powder! YAY!! Uniform brows for me! Thanks!

You're welcome newagetomatoz!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Do you do your brows before or after foundation? I know some girls who do theirs first, then do the foundation saying it makes it look more natural.

Hi Shimmer! I've actually done both before and after foundation applications and honestly girl, I'm torn between both methods because I can't say I like one more than another. I would rather have my foundation on first for the fact that I like putting on the tablecloth before the plates (if that analogy visually makes any sense). But lately I tend to do my foundation AFTER I do my eyebrows because it helps me clean up any fallout without having to disturb already placed foundation. And I just haven't really hit it off well in putting loose powder for fallout. But the only thing with doing it after for me is that since I buff my foundation on, I have to be extra gentle and careful around my brows for fear of smudging it or taking it off since I do use powder. And also to make sure that foundation powder doesn't catch on my eyebrows. For those reasons also is why sometimes I have preference in the other direction. Complicated, huh? LOL!

Hope that helps through all the confusion
smiles.gif
Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Myosotis

This is so helpful. I have always been pretty clueless when it comes to my eyebrows and I usually don't do much to shape them. That has changed since I found this tutorial!

Sillarian

Thank you so much for that tutorial it was really helpful! Your eyebrows are beautiful btw, even w/o the brow filler, your so lucky! lol =)