The process of buying your first property

SagMaria

Right now I am renting and I know what a money sucker it can be. I would love to be able to buy my first apartment, townhouse or house soon and I was wondering if you girls could describe what it was like for you. What was the process like? Do you have any helpful advice? I'd especially love to hear stories from around my area; Vancouver, BC, CANADA but all are welcome!!! Thanks girls.
thmbup.gif

captodometer

I bought my house in NY with a no down payment mortgage from the Veteran's Administration; I was in the United States Air Force for a while. Otherwise, I think I would have needed a 5% downpayment for an FHA mortgage. These are both American programs; don't know if Canada has anything similar.

I did live in your area of the world for 3 years: Tacoma, Washington. Housing there was expensive. A small house in decent area was going for more than $200000. And that was 4 years ago. So I'm assuming that something in Vancouver costs CA$300000. Which means that you probably need at least a $15000 down payment, plus a similar amount in closing costs. Until you have $30000, it's probably not worth looking.

The process itself was pretty noneventful. I found an agent, flew into town, looked at about 30 houses in a week, found one, made an offer, and flew home. It closed on time and everything was fine.
greengrin.gif

I do recommend that you buy the worst house in the best neighborhood if you can't afford something extravagant. Rochester, NY has negative population growth and an abysmal public school system. But it also has Kodak, Bausch & Lomb, and Xerox. I bought in an upper-middle class suburb called Brighton, 10 minutes from downtown. I certainly didn't get the worst house, but there are million dollar homes within a mile of mine. The school system is nationally ranked: at face value I could care less because I don't ever intend to have children. I also paid 2-3X more than I would have paid to buy in the city. But then I decided that moving to New Zealand would be fun. I had 20 people come and view my house in less than 2 weeks when I decided to rent: mostly people who wanted the opportunity to send their kids to school in my district. I was able to rent at a rate that covered my my mortgage, taxes, and property management fees. The value of the house continues to go up; meanwhile I live on the other side of the world.
If I had purchased a less expensive house in a more affordable neighborhood, it would probably still be sitting vacant or unsold. And I would be stuck with the mortgage payment.

If you think that you will buy your house and live in it for a long time, the things I mentioned probably don't matter But if you later decide to rent or sell, they matter a great deal. So you should probably pass on the so-called bargain in a questionable neighborhood.

sophistichic

Well I bought an apartment in Vancouver near Metrotown a while ago, before all the housing prices went crazy high. I don't live there anymore, but buying an apartment is really stressful sometimes. There are a lot of hidden fees in buying any home and in Vancouver, there might be some vandalizing, so you'll have to find a security plan if you're buying a house. My friend's house was in a pretty posh neighborhood but her car got broken into right in front of her house.

Before you buy a place, consider if you have good/bad credit. They go pretty heavy on background credit checks. Also there's an investment that helps out new home buyers, but I don't remember what it was, sorry.

Hope I helped you...

Willa

Thank you captodometer about the advice on buying the ''Worst'' house in the best neigborhood
smiles.gif

Me and my bf are also looking to buy something. I'm tired to pay for something that isn't mine. It cost me near 700$ per month only for the rent (heated). At this price, plus my bf paying the same amount, we will have something good.

Right now in Montreal, a lot of condos are being build. We want to get something not too expensive, around 116 000$ (before taxes). At this price, you usually get a place downstairs but with a lot of windows and its ''semi'' downstair (sorry can't find the real word hehe).

We are thinking about buying before july of 2008... I cross my fingers!

I don't know about Vancouver, but here in Mtl, you have some programs where you can get some money back, like a 5000$ rebate. Its to help the city keep it's family/young people.

aeni

Oy, I couldn't fathom buying a house or apartment here in town. There's a condo right across from me going for 800K and the place I'm in now is bigger (the only pro across is that they have floor heating in the kitchen and bathrooms under the tile). I wish I came here for school after the Olympics since the market keeps going up up up no matter where you are in town.

That's my view though as an American living in Canada. I don't know if things are done similarly in the states as written above.

SagMaria

I DEFINITLEY wouldn't buy in the city, as in Vancouver, properties there are insanely overpriced ... I'm more looking to buy in Coquitlam or Port Moody ... do you own your property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeni
Oy, I couldn't fathom buying a house or apartment here in town. There's a condo right across from me going for 800K and the place I'm in now is bigger (the only pro across is that they have floor heating in the kitchen and bathrooms under the tile). I wish I came here for school after the Olympics since the market keeps going up up up no matter where you are in town.

That's my view though as an American living in Canada. I don't know if things are done similarly in the states as written above.

aeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMaria
I DEFINITLEY wouldn't buy in the city, as in Vancouver, properties there are insanely overpriced ... I'm more looking to buy in Coquitlam or Port Moody ... do you own your property?

No, I rent. I'm 2 blocks away from Boundary and my roommate is just looking for extra income, so the rent is exactly what I wanted it to be. One of my classmates lives somewhere in Zone 3, don't know how much her rent is either.

We're just poor students! Lol

SagMaria

Hehehe yeah I know what thats like!!
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeni
No, I rent. I'm 2 blocks away from Boundary and my roommate is just looking for extra income, so the rent is exactly what I wanted it to be. One of my classmates lives somewhere in Zone 3, don't know how much her rent is either.

We're just poor students! Lol