The weirdest blemishes I have ever seen... Any insight?

laneyyy

Hello All! Ok, so, I am 23, and I JUST recently started having breakouts. Half the time, they are usually the normal pimples, but mostly, they are hard, red bumps. Usually on my chin/jawline. At first when looking at them, it seems like it will just be a normal blemish, but after a day or so of treating them, they turn out to be these hard, sore, most non-zit looking things. The spot treatments I use don't get rid of them, or any treatment I use for that matter. They just kinda stick around, and once they finally go down, they leave reddish/purplish spots on my face. For the most part, my skin is clearing up. I have been using the Clinique Acne Solutions line, and have been extremely satisfied with the results. It's just these damn little spots that are being irksome. Any insight on what these might be and how I might be able to take control back of my FACE! HA!

Oh, BTW, I live on a military base in Europe, and there aren't any Derms out here that I know of, anyway... =/

hrdruian

yeah, those take forever to get rid of. and they hurt in the mean time. i once had a derm tell me they were viral, i think. could be wrong. its whatever the normal ones aren't. she had me on a daily pill for them and it solved the problem until i got tired of taking it. it was like a daily antinbiotic. they hurt 'cuase there's like a small cyst under your skin blocking your pore. for fast pain relief, you can pop 'em. but then you have to deal with the scab it'll create. i know, its gross. but i hope this helps.

Paramnesia

I get the same problem, it generally takes ages for the reddish purple marks to disappear too. I also get heaps of small bumps around my jawline.

coachkitten

This might sound strange but have you had any sort of infection lately. I got the same type of blemishes when I had a terrible bladder infection and once I got on antibiotics my skin cleared right up. I normally have very clear skin so to get these types of blemishes what totally out of the norm.

laneyyy

You know what? I just might have... I do notice everytime I get a fever, or am sick with like the crud, or sinusy stuff, my skin gets weired. I'm not one to go to the doc and get antibiotics though, because I'm allergic to most types, but that does make sense... I wonder why???
th_dunno.gif

drenewt

I had acne for a while. The hard kind, and it killed! I tried every kind of treatment and proactive worked well for surface stuff. Turns out I had cyctic acne and needed to take Acutane for it. The stuff worked well for me but has CRAZY side effects. You have to be on two forms of birthcontrol and if by chance you do get pregnant while you are on it your child WILL have crazy birth defects. That said, it worked miracles on me and my skin has been perfect since. It's only available through a derm though.

Lizzie

When I have pimples around the outside of my face it's usually due to wearing my hair down a lot, wearing scarves, or things of that nature.
Maybe there's something aggravating your skin?

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

From the sounds of it, they sound like Blind Pimples. They hurt like a slut! It is usually produced from excess oil under the skin which doesn't develop into a normal pimple (like having a cyst thing under there.) DO NOT pick at them as they can sometimes leave a scar, and if not a scar they take FOREVER to clear up, so it is best you leave them alone.
smiles.gif

drenewt

Yeah. That is one of the side effects. I wouldn't use it unless you are desperate. For me, I think it balanced my hormones. I actually felt much better emotionally while I was on it.

drenewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAbY_cHiCkEn01
From the sounds of it, they sound like Blind Pimples. They hurt like a slut! It is usually produced from excess oil under the skin which doesn't develop into a normal pimple (like having a cyst thing under there.) DO NOT pick at them as they can sometimes leave a scar, and if not a scar they take FOREVER to clear up, so it is best you leave them alone.
smiles.gif

Yeah, they really can scar. Do not pick at them. I you must you can disinfect a needle and drain them. Yeah, It's disgusting but they feel much better afterward.

Lissa

I was told by my doctor that those types of cystic bumps were caused by hormones, excess testosterone. I didn't get acne until I was in my 20s either. I was given antibiotics for it which helped a lot. But yes they are very painful and take forever to go. I found tea tree oil to help a lot just dabbed on, and not messing with them which made them so much bigger

Dahlia_Rayn

Yep, those buggers are cystic acne, and usually caused by hormonal changes (which women endure about once every seven years). I've had several of these breakouts along my jaw line over the last few months and it's only now starting to settle down. I try not to pick them because they scar like crazy! Also, sometimes if you've been using the same face care for years, when your hormones change it may not work for you anymore! I found that DermaDoctor Ain't Misbehavin' (from Sephora) has helped my cystic acne a ton. Just FYI, I'm 28 years old and have never had more then one or two little zits at a time until this problem cropped up a few months ago!

kimmy

i agree that it sounds like cystic acne. i never had that until just recently, and i'm nineteen so you're still in that age range where your hormones are still doing weird things which is basically what causes cystic acne.

my doctor put me on retin-a, it's a topical so there's not the risky side effects that internal medicines have. it dries your skin out and will probably make it peel, which is pretty gross, so you just have to keep checking your makeup if you're out. after a few weeks, your skin adjusts to the medication and the peeling will ease up alot. i only have two weeks left on a six week treatment and i'm seeing huuuge improvement. retin-a speeds up the process that your skin undergoes to shed and reproduce new skin cells, so it helps with fine lines and stuff like that, too.