The wonderful high school days... yeah right!!!

Julia Vanhorn

I just thought I would post a thread reminiscing my high school days.

I was a goody two-shoe all the way up to my senior year. Always stayed after school and participated in extracuricular activites. I was in the marching band, concert band, National French Honor Society, French Club, VICA, Student Council, Mock Trial, academic bowl team, Y-club. I also had several awards: National Award Winner in English and French. Who's Who Among American High School, National Honor Roll, several grand champions winnings in marching band, superior ratings in concert band. Those are just a few that I can think of at the top of my head. I only had one detention the entire time that I was in school, and that was for dress code violation (I wore a plain blue t-shirt -- btw, is the school color -- we had an all-collared shirt dress code). Tell me if that is not just plain stupid.

Then my senior year came along... I would start running away if I were you. It was a miserable year for me. I would cut the first two classes and mysteriously show up for the last two classes (we were on what they called block schedules). I had in the order as written: math, World History, Senior English/World Literature, and marching band. I hated the first two classes and I hated the teachers that taught them. Or I would miss the whole day on friday and show up for friday night marching band. As odd as this may sound, they never really got onto me for skipping classes like that, or at least not until the end of the semester. The second semester was the same way. I had Commercial Arts, I cannot remember of this one, Entrepreneurship, and Health Occupations. The middle two were with the same teacher, he was alright but I did not want to be in that class to begin with. I barely managed to actually graduate but I did... somehow... I think...

Anyways, I just thought I would post my high school experiences and see if I was alone in the same ordeal that I did. I know you may be looking at me and thinking that I am just plain stupid and you may be right. Look at it this way, they did not teach MAKE-UP. If only if they had that, I would have been there and ready to go.

Oh and by the way... I was not a druggie in high school, I just wanted to sleep and be comfortable in my warm bed.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Vanhorn
I totally forgot about senioritis. I had the full-blown case of it lol.

Me too. I think its pretty common!

depecher

I had senioritis in 10th and 11th grades. I ditched school all the time and failed 5th period math. I somehow got a passing grade in Spanish 3. I turned it around in 12th grade but by then, I had enough credits so I could leave at lunch time. LOL. High school was sooo awful back then. I hated it. I was soo glad to graduate and go to community college and then to university. LOL.

pumpkincat210

I ditched first and second period all the time. I also didn't go in at all alot. I actually got in school suspension for it.
I hated first period which was economics.so friggin boring. but all i wanted to do my senior year was party and sleep.

Glow

I still have a year and a half left of high school,
So not digging it, I actually bother to show up for class and im doing awful. Like 60's. and to get into most universities its like min average of 70%. Yuck

But yeah, sounds like you had hardcore senioritis.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Vanhorn
How many credits did you need to graduate?

haha, i have no idea! i can't remember that far back..

Julia Vanhorn

I think I needed either 25 or 28 credits to graduate, and I just had enough to get by. Plus I also needed the dreaded summer school to actually get my diploma.

Nowadays, I think you need like 32 credits to graduate at my school, that was every single class. Talk about bummer...

Julia Vanhorn

Also, everyone feel free to post your stories, I just wanted to see what current and future MAs and make-up addicts were like.

Moppit

Grade 10 was awful for me. I failed history and English and had to go to summer school. I tried smoking weed at summer school and one day was sick of school and started walking back home which was 30 minutes by car. Luckily someone I knew came along and drove me home. I 'dated' too many guys as well.

I didn't skip too often but when I did I always convinced my mother to write a note.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
haha, i have no idea! i can't remember that far back..

I ended up graduating with a 3.1 gpa, so it's okay now.

libra14

I used Nair between my eyebrows in the 11th grade Do you remember Captain Mowser from the Police Academy? Yeah, so did all of my classmates. Good thing I was popular or that embarrassment could've ruined me. It blew over quickly though and one of my teachers (she was real cool)showed me how to use a pencil to fix it until it grew back.

Are those the kind of stories you are looking for?
rofl.gif

Chelly

i was suspended for a week for missing like 40 am classes or something stupid like that.. i was never a big fan of school..and i was never a junkie.. im jsut damn lazy! well not anymore - but highschool i def was
winks.gif

Julia Vanhorn

wow, I just thought of this, it has been three years since I graduated from high school. That is scary... I almost want to say that I miss it, but only because of the extracurricular activities. I had so much fun with that.

Pink_minx

Yeah I miss Highschool too but only the first 2 years of it, my last two years of highschool was hell...I had to move away from my friends who I grew up with since grade school then I had to move! ugh there was the worst times at this new school...it was so ghetto, so many fights I even got beaten up because someone mistaken me as someone else! god I hated those last two years of school, its like no one wanted to be my friend cause they already had their own close friends it was hard times.

caffn8me

I never got into a huge amount of trouble other than for failing to do homework. I used to find it boring so managed to get a couple of detentions for it. Ironically, one of the subjects I got detention for was French - the teacher had regarded me as a poor student because I never did any work but when the exams came round I got the top mark in the class
smiles.gif
My other detention was for chemistry and I went on to win a place to study biochemistry at Oxford. If the teachers had set interesting homework they'd have got my attention better
winks.gif

I thoroughly immersed myself in the school theatre during the last three years at school doing design (mostly lighting) rather than acting - I was always a bit shy. I even won a couple of school prizes because of it. I'm still in touch with some of the staff from my school (which I left in 1984) and see one quite regularly.

All in all I had a fairly easy ride. The school system in the UK is very different to the USA - there is no "graduation" and it's perfectly possible for school leavers to have no qualifications whatsoever.