theft.

ductapemyheartt

today, i was at mac and one of the artists and a couple of girls from benefit were telling me about people stealing testers and products in the boxes. it seems like this counter has a huge problem with theft. they said people steal eye shadows all the time...even lipsticks [without the top!].

apparently one time, someone walked right in, grabbed about ten of the mineralize satin finish foundations and walked out.

does anyone else have problems like this?
and what are the solutions?

lara

Every counter everywhere has problems with theft. People are so confident that they can get away with because they know that the chances of being busted are nearly nil and store security is almost universally a joke.

All you can do is train staff to recognise typical theft-orientated behaviour, arrange regular tester walks (once an hour someone takes a quick walk around the outside of the display bays and looks for any missing product or unexpected gaps), discretely restrict access to the live stock display areas at the back of the counters (this is a bigger issue in some stores than it is in others) and get double-sided security locks placed on the pull-out stock bins.

It's a really difficult thing to deal with, because there's such a fine line between being proactive about theft and being paranoid about it.

blazeno.8

Hm, when I worked in retail we made sure to have a bunch of people in an area. If there was only one person in a zone, that person was right near the easiest to grab items ie: the front. That way you can greet people and stand right near those items because the more you talk an interact with someone the less likely they are to take it if they're a solo act. Give them attention basically, if they're really intent on taking the item, they'll get annoyed with the attention or they get frightened off by it. Those who react well and still go for it? I don't know about those...
Also check for suspicious purses (I'm not suggesting you go pawing around someone's purse). I want to say aluminum (some metal) lined purses are usually used to trip up censors and our mall security was all over those people not only in the mall but also in the parking garage.

trollydolly

i work in a shop in the uk (woolworths) and theft is a massive problem because its a big store. the manager tells us that if we see anyone stealing anything to run after them. but to be honest im not going to risk my personal safety by running after someone!
i can believe people would be so cheeky as to steal testers from mac! do people have no limits as to how low they'll go these days??

panther27

Oh yea at the MAC counter I go to one of the girls I know there says that people steal testers ALL the time everyday-she said once someone opened a drawer and swiped a whole bunch of the clear lipglasses-pretty unbelievable huh?And that people steal the MA's brushes and then actually return them to the counter and the MA's can so obviously tell that those brushes were stolen,but that they HAVE to do the return for them anyway!!!!That is one of the most insane things I have heard of.
th_confused_new.gif
Some people are just crazy

ZoeFerret

I am not surprised about the all the people stealing stuff even testers ( odd thing to steal but if it isn't bolted down people will steal it. ) The only real thing to do is just be around- be super friendly ( it's known if you notice them and give them attention they may decide not to steal b/c too much attention is drawn to them- they normally don't want to be noticed . ) and just report suspicious people to the people in Lost Prevention- it's their job to take care of theft. It sux but some people are bad.

MadchenRogue

Well, I was watching a show last year of how this store avoids theft of those Donation coins jars by gluing velcro at the bottom of the jars, and the correspondent velcro on the table. So, when anyone TRIES to steal the jar, it makes that THRISH sound. It may sound tacky, BUT its a wonderful idea which MAC and other stores should adopt.
th_wink3.gif

Velcro Tape - Uline

xmrsvindieselx

So what I have learned from working retail is ALWAYS give good customer service..

especially when you suspect someone is a thief! ( I know a lot of people who dont want to talk to the customer because they know shes a thief)

If they are stealing, it will most likely make them reallllly uncomfortable and they will leave

and if not..the customer just sees it as great customer service!

Gblue

i get it all the time, especially "my" fragrance testers getting taken. i'm really protective over them and yesterday i followed a guy all around my department because i didn't trust him but was just acting like i wanted to help, so i could get my stock back! :p

Latest posts