Theme Makeup with a Purpose

glammy girl

Ohhh you crack me up!  :lmao: I first heard mention of Kinda Sexy here on Specktra.  I never gave it much thought other than not being familiar with it until my MAC Store MUA suggested it.  It's Matte, my favorite formula! My go-to smokey eye: For this Smokey Eye look I use the MAC Jungle Camouflage Full Face kit's (LE) eye palette, but I also use other permanent shadows, and list those alternatives, as well. Blackground Paint Pot (for daytime I use Constructivist PP) Carbon e/s to lid over Blackground PP Camo e/s above crease (Swiss Chocolate is also a very fav alternative) Bad Lieutenant to crease & lower lash line (A deep dark brown like Embark/Carbonized) Although the lid color is dark, I still apply Blacktrack fluidline and top that with Carbon e/s to keep it in place Fascinating eye kohl to waterline (Use Black if you prefer) Dew to brow (I also like Ricepaper)
Ooh that sounds so pretty, I'll have to try this look but switch out the colors I don't have with some dupes I already have in my stash :)

MAChostage

For me the difference is less about color and more about sheen. Nevertheless, I must be nuts. I just got the Guilty Passions L/G set in Nicely Nude. The colors are just so pretty...I couldn't help it...shrugs! The round box is cute. I removed the insert and put all of my Nude-family L/Gs in it.
icon_bump.gif
I'm nuts, too, then. The last thing I need is another l/g, but I purchased the Guilty Passions L/G set in Lavish Rose last weekend when I simply went in to B2M for Sophisto l/s. I'm so weak when it comes to makeup!

MAChostage

I'm not familiar with Kinda Sexy. I need to check it out now.
By the way, do you have tips for a successful smokey eye? I watched some YouTube videos and tried it once. I looked like a raccoon. I didn't even use black eye shadow.
I also have problems pulling off the smokey eye, so please share and tips!

PrettyGirlDoc

I think it's time for me to address my blush situation.  I purchased another Pro Blush palette and I've already filled it.  I have three additional MAC blush palettes and several individual MAC blushes, as well as other brands.  I prefer the palettes, because for me they're space sparing.  I wanted one of the old palettes but it seems they've taken them out of circulation.  I do like the ability to see the blushes w/o having to open the palette and the ability to use it w/o the insert.  Not yet feeling the love for these, but I'm sure they'll grow on me.  The upside is that having depotted five blushes today, I'm already rebuilding my B2M stock again.   :happydance:
I called some MAC counters on the east coast to find the old blush palettes. (MY OCD wants everything in the same case).LOL The sales person gave me the number to a Belk's in North Carolina that had them. Let me know if you need the number.

Medgal07

I'm nuts, too, then. The last thing I need is another l/g, but I purchased the Guilty Passions L/G set in Lavish Rose last weekend when I simply went in to B2M for Sophisto l/s. I'm so weak when it comes to makeup!
LOL! You're in good company here!
grouphug2.gif

Medgal07

I'm not familiar with Kinda Sexy. I need to check it out now.
By the way, do you have tips for a successful smokey eye? I watched some YouTube videos and tried it once. I looked like a raccoon. I didn't even use black eye shadow.
MAChostage exactly what issues are you having with the smokey eye? CartoonChic says she was left with the raccoon effect and I suspect that could be from eye pencil to the lower lash line?
I never use black kohl pencil that way in a smokey eye look because it just seems too harsh on me. I use a dark brown in the crease and the same dark brown at the lower lash-line. I usually avoid black pencil to my lower waterline because it makes my eyes look small & recessed...so not good.
ohboy.gif

MAChostage

MAChostage exactly what issues are you having with the smokey eye? CartoonChic says she was left with the raccoon effect and I suspect that could be from eye pencil to the lower lash line?
I never use black kohl pencil that way in a smokey eye look because it just seems too harsh on me. I use a dark brown in the crease and the same dark brown at the lower lash-line. I usually avoid black pencil to my lower waterline because it makes my eyes look small & recessed...so not good.
ohboy.gif
I also tend to look "racoonish" when I try to do a smokey eye. Every time I've tried to do any gorgeous look I've seen on someone else that uses black as a base I end up looking like a fool. Maybe I just need to forego that altogether and try the dark brown look.

Medgal07

I also tend to look "racoonish" when I try to do a smokey eye. Every time I've tried to do any gorgeous look I've seen on someone else that uses black as a base I end up looking like a fool. Maybe I just need to forego that altogether and try the dark brown look.
That would make sense except it's still dark colors...just different....brown, black, blue smokey eyes. The same concept just different colors. I so wish I could help. Let's try this... tell me what products you use and where you place them.

PrettyGirlDoc

I think it's time for me to address my blush situation.  I purchased another Pro Blush palette and I've already filled it.  I have three additional MAC blush palettes and several individual MAC blushes, as well as other brands.  I prefer the palettes, because for me they're space sparing.  I wanted one of the old palettes but it seems they've taken them out of circulation.  I do like the ability to see the blushes w/o having to open the palette and the ability to use it w/o the insert.  Not yet feeling the love for these, but I'm sure they'll grow on me.  The upside is that having depotted five blushes today, I'm already rebuilding my B2M stock again.   :happydance:
Due to my OCD I hunted down the old blush palettes by calling a few MAC stores on the East coast. A free Standing MAC counter in NC gave me the number to a Belk's which had them. I received them in two days yesterday. They are still around. Sorry repeated message

CartoonChic

girlhaha.gif
This is my problem.

glammy girl

My favorite look of this week was the look I wore yesterday (Sunday 18 November) Face: Mac Prep & Prime Skin Mac Studio Fix Fluid Foundation NC35 Mac Golden Bronzer Benefit Hoola Bronzer Mac Gingerly Blush Mac Pink Cult Blush Mac Studio Fix Powder NC35 Mac Redhead MSF Mac Fix Plus Eyes: Mac Groundwork p/p Sleek Storm Palette (light brown matte shade all over lid) Sleek Chaos Palette (medium brown matte shade in crease) Sleek Storm Palette (dark brown matte shade in the outer corner,crease & lower lash line) Inglot 350 matte (brow and inner corner highlight) Mac Smolder (upper lash line and waterline) Maybelline Colossal Volume Express Mascara Lips: Carmex Lip Blam Mac Cherry Lip Liner Mac Chili Lipstick I loved how this turned out :eyelove: Excited to hear what everyone did too... :)

CartoonChic

My favorite look from the previous week. I liked it so much, I named it.

November 16, 2012 - Pumpkin Spice

EYES

• MAC Fluidline Dipdown - upper lash line

• NARS Albatross - tear duct, brow highlight
  • Black mascara

FACE

• La Femme Blush Sienna
  • La Femme Blush Cinnabar - over Lovejoy
  • NARS Albatross - cheek and T-zone highlight

LIPS

• OCC Lip Tar Banjee
  • NYX Lip Pencil Cocoa - outline over Banjee

kimibos

TODAY
Eyes: Nars eye primer, Jete and Satin Taupe. plus lash curler used.
Cheeks: Mac The Perfect Cheek
lips. WnW Ravin' Raisin

**i finished a mac serum and im about to finish a face cleanser.

Medgal07

My favorite look from the previous week. I liked it so much, I named it.

November 16, 2012 - Pumpkin Spice

EYES

• MAC Fluidline Dipdown - upper lash line

• NARS Albatross - tear duct, brow highlight
  • Black mascara

FACE

• La Femme Blush Sienna
  • La Femme Blush Cinnabar - over Lovejoy
  • NARS Albatross - cheek and T-zone highlight

LIPS

• OCC Lip Tar Banjee
  • NYX Lip Pencil Cocoa - outline over Banjee
Very fitting name for your color choices and for the name itself, given the time of year. I love it! Banjee is GORGEOUS. I love orange lippies and often have to force myself to wear other colors.
kissy.gif

Medgal07

My favorite look from last week was applied with great care, albeit amateur technique. Nevertheless I gave it may all. The irony here, and for certain, the comedy of it all was resounding. I ran errands feeling put together, as we all do when we put a bit of extra effort into the process. While out and about I ran into an individual whom I hadn't seen for quite some time. We exchanged greetings, and then she said the nicest and most profound things about me. It was very moving. AND then...it happened! The unthinkable. She moved toward me in what seemed like slow motion. I was frozen with fear because I sensed what was about to happen...and then it did! She reached out and grabbed my face, squeezing my cheeks the way you would caress the cheeks of a toddler. It seemed like a lifetime as she squeezed...my face moved back & forth in her ample hands. Movements seemed slow and voices seemed loud. I was speechless because all I could think about was the time that I had taken to apply my makeup. We said our goodbyes as she walked away with my carefully applied face in her hands. I erupted in hysterical laughter, keeping my face down as I hurried to my car.
th_roll1.gif

The Look:
EYES:
Painterly PP to lids
Aloha pigment to lid (moistened # 215)
Rule above Crease
NARS Galapagos to crease, blended upward & into rule
Rice Paper to brows
DipDown fluidline topped with Embark to line upper lids
NARS Galapagos to lower lash line
Feline close to lash line

FACE:
Face & Body
P & P Light Boost Highlighter in triangle below eyes, set w/Ben Nye Powder, Banana (applied with 116 Brush)
Copper Beach to contour (applied with 163 Brush), Shadowy Sculpting powder over Copper Beach(109 brush)
HiddenTreasure blush ( (applied with 128 Brush)
MSF Redhead to high-points (applied with 130 Brush)
MSF natural (applied with 129 Brush) to finish the look
Fix+ to set

LIPS:
Lasting Sensation lip pencil to line & fill
Saigon Summer l/s

CartoonChic

My favorite look from last week was applied with great care, albeit amateur technique. Nevertheless I gave it may all. The irony here, and for certain, the comedy of it all was resounding. I ran errands feeling put together, as we all do when we put a bit of extra effort into the process. While out and about I ran into an individual whom I hadn't seen for quite some time. We exchanged greetings, and then she said the nicest and most profound things about me. It was very moving. AND then...it happened! The unthinkable. She moved toward me in what seemed like slow motion. I was frozen with fear because I sensed what was about to happen...and then it did! She reached out and grabbed my face, squeezing my cheeks the way you would caress the cheeks of a toddler. It seemed like a lifetime as she squeezed...my face moved back & forth in her ample hands. Movements seemed slow and voices seemed loud. I was speechless because all I could think about was the time that I had taken to apply my makeup. We said our goodbyes as she walked away with my carefully applied face in her hands. I erupted in hysterical laughter, keeping my face down as I hurried to my car.
th_roll1.gif

The Look:
EYES:
Painterly PP to lids
Aloha pigment to lid (moistened # 215)
Rule above Crease
NARS Galapagos to crease, blended upward & into rule
Rice Paper to brows
DipDown fluidline topped with Embark to line upper lids
NARS Galapagos to lower lash line
Feline close to lash line

FACE:
Face & Body
P & P Light Boost Highlighter in triangle below eyes, set w/Ben Nye Powder, Banana (applied with 116 Brush)
Copper Beach to contour (applied with 163 Brush), Shadowy Sculpting powder over Copper Beach(109 brush)
HiddenTreasure blush ( (applied with 128 Brush)
MSF Redhead to high-points (applied with 130 Brush)
MSF natural (applied with 129 Brush) to finish the look
Fix+ to set

LIPS:
Lasting Sensation lip pencil to line & fill
Saigon Summer l/s
rofl.gif
That's too funny! The look sounds beautiful.

MAChostage

My favorite look was from Friday, November 16th. I didn't have to work that day and had no plans other than housework, still, I decided to "do it up":

FACE:
Foundation: Estee Lauder Double Wear in Spiced Sand, NW1 (I think) -- I've been testing this color out
Blush: MAC Format

EYES:
(All MAC pigments) Golden Lemon (inner corner), Rushmetal (lid), Chocolate Brown (Crease), Naked (brow/highlight)
MAC Graphic Brown to line top lashline and lower lashline outer third
Urban Decay Eldorado 24-7 Eyepencil to line lower lashline from inner corner to 2/3 point
Maybelline Great Lash Lots O' Lashes mascara
Iman eyebrow pencil in Blackest Brown (I think)

LIPS:
MAC Eclipse l/s with a dab of MAC Clear l/g

I ended up not really digging the lip, as I've been falling out of love with Eclipse since wearing it regularly when I first got it. I loved the look overall, very fall-like!

Latest posts