Thinking about resigning from my job

chillipea

This is a bit of a rant. Please forgive the length. This feels so selfish in the current economic climate and compared to other posts here.

I think I'm going to quit my job. It's not the same place as when I started. I've been there for 3 years and for the first 2 years I loved it. I enjoyed the work, enjoyed the people, I felt I was doing something useful, etc... all those things that every person wants in a job. (this is just IT, I'm not curing cancer or anything)

A little over a year ago I was convinced to move to the head office in another state and was promised various things (head of a dept, more imput into processes, etc). But none of this happened. When I got here, I was told that a promotion would tread on other people's toes. okaaaay. Then a new manager is brought in, I start getting told that my position isn't required and 'what do I do here anyway?'. So I complained and was told that I was a 'valuable member of the team'. Like that was helpful. But I just kept on working.

In the last 5 months the amount of work I used to do has been significantly reduced - to the point where I only have a few hours work for the rest of the week. The new manager decides who does what work. I have no say and neither does anyone else. So I complained again and was told the same stuff "valuable member of the team" and "you are probably overreacting". Yesterday the position I was supposed to have was given to someone else. This person has no experience.

All of this, the new manager telling me that I'm not required at the company, my work drying up and being given to other already overloaded people, and yesterdays news..... I think I'm going to be made redundant. I want to leave - just resign - but I can't throw away a good job when it's so hard to even get a job at the moment. I hate it at work. I'm in tears most of the time just from the stress of not knowing what is happening.

Today I left work early and sent an email to HR asking straight-out if I'm going to be made redundant. I'm dreading the response, but I have to know.

Miss QQ

This sounds awful, not knowing what will happen. If you have been unhappy for many months, perhaps this job is really not for you anymore. Maybe you can start looking for a new job while still keeping this. I was in a job where it was extremely stressful every day because the manager was micro-managing and it was basically a lousy job with no prospects.I lasted for nine months but my health suffered. I am so glad I left the job even though I was without a new one and I had just graduated with no experience.

My thoughts are with you. Take care and not let the stress affect your health. If possible update us on what your HR's response is.

MissRobot

I'm sending you good vibes, in hopes for good news. It's good that you're being upfront with this because even if the economic situation isn't so great right now, keeping a job that you're dissatisfied with doesn't really help anyone. Also your new manager seems to be creating a poor work atmosphere.
Good luck. I'm rooting for you.

Mabelle

your manager cant simply tell you that your "old news" and not valuable.
If he/she is constantly belittling you start keeping a file with the circumstances, times and dates taht this takes place. Then call their superior. If they don't listen call that persons superior.

gildedangel

I'm sorry, it sounds like you really used to like your job. Well it sounds as though if you don't resign, that they are just going to fire you. Try to find a new job and line it up before you quit. Mabelle's advice is good too if you would like to keep your job. You could also send an e-mail to your manager explaining (kindly) how you don't like to be belittled and would like more work to do. Just be sure to Carbon Copy it to your manager's boss, and their boss too.
winks.gif

chillipea

Thnk you for your support.

Mabelle - that's a really good idea. If I stay I'll start keeping a log. Should have thought of doing that earlier.

Yeah, quite a few people that have had 'issues' with this new manager. But he has the ear of the CEO and senior managers.

Mabelle

I've had troubles with bosses before, and did this in one case. Problem was that she was leaving soon after i started, but my manager (she the ass. manager) added it to her file, and said she would never be re-hired.
good luck!

kittykit

I agree with Mabelle. Talk to your boss's superior. Find out what is going on.

I used to have problem with one of my bosses before. Instead of talking to him, I went to his manager and problems solved.

Do you get any compensation if you are made redundant? If yes, I say don't quit yet... try to look for a job and wait for the official letter of termination. If they are really going to lay you off, they will have to pay you. If you quit now, they will not need to compensate you. Correct me if I'm wrong... I don't know how it goes in the US.

Good luck!

ginger9

I feel for you, can't say I don't know what that's like
winks.gif

My view is hang on to this job while you look for another one. Financially it's a safer move to make. Also if you're being "made redundant" does this mean they might possibly lay you off? If so, you will likely receive a severance package and that can be a good thing.

Mabelle

you don't happen to be unionized do you? Cause if so, talk to your head of union about whats been going on. your boss could be in store for a shit storm.

kaliraksha

In your shoes, I would keep my current job because the economy sucks and if you are dismissed from your job you have the chance to collect benefits if necessary. In the mean time, I would start searching for another job and looking for ways to remedy the situation at work.

chillipea

Hello. Just a quick update.

Spoke to HR and my previous manager and they were surprised that I could think that my position was being made redundant. I spoke about the lack of work and the new mgr and was told that I'm definitely not being made redundant and that "I'm an important member of the team", blah blah, blah, I said that it certainly does not feel that way and the actions of people do not show it either. I was also told "they forget about your job sometimes but it's not deliberate". That's meant to make me feel better? He's been there for a year and doesn't remember me eventhough I sit 3 meters away from him? I didn't get a response about that. I was told that the new manager is "very nervous and will need all the help you can give him. He's relying on your assistance." Like I care.

I was told that straight after they announced the new mgr, one of my co-wokers resigned and another threatened. I was the third person to say something. It made me feel better than I wasn't overreacting.

The upshot is that I'm going to stay but start looking elsewhere. I will be keeping of log of any smartarse comments. If I'm so important then they'd better bl**dy start showing it!

Although getting made redundant will mean a payout which is way better than being fired. So I'll also be biting my tongue and doing my job well (well, whenever work comes my way). Happy I'm on a salary.

blazeno.8

Sorry to butt in like this, but I think that there was an article on MSNBC about people who feel like they need to quit in this economic climate. You might want to check it out.