Thinking about...

mel0622

....getting a companion! Maybe a dog? I've wanted a dog since I was little but I'm allergic to them.
ssad.gif
Are there any dogs that doesn't cause allergic reactions? I would preferably like a small dog maybe in the toy family? But I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!!

MACATTAK

I've always wanted a Teacup Maltese or Yorkie. I don't know anything about the allergy situation with these dogs, but they are so darn cute!

gildedangel

There are actually a lot of hypo-allergenic dogs, and I think that most of them are small. If you google "hypoallergenic dogs" there are a lot of sites that list the many breeds, which include the Bichon Frise, Irish Water Spaniel, Miniature Poodle, Shih-Tzu, and Yorkies.

mel0622

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdtb050606
I have a malti-poo and the vet said she was allergen free
smiles.gif

Have you had any problems with her regarding allergies? Last time I went to a pet store they had a petting area where you got to know the puppies and within an hour I started getting itchy and felt like I couldn't breath!
shockt.gif
I don't remember what kind of dog it was I think I was with a maltese at the time but I thought maybe it was just b/c he/she was dirty and with the other dogs' dander and stuff on her???
th_confused_new.gif

User38

The Obama's got that fuzzy Portugues Water dog because he was hypo allergenica, lol.

I have a funny looking Pug who is a hoot and a half of laughter -- don't care if he made me break out in hives!

Mabelle

whatever breed your decide, please adopt from a shelter rather than buying from a pet store or breeder. there are breed specific shelters for any kind of dog you could want!

I just hate to see people making profit off animals when tehre are tons and tons of great dogs out there looking for home, who might be put down soon.

BEA2LS

i agree shelters are the way to go! i adopted the love of my life last summer
smiles.gif
i do not think breeders are a bad choice neither to be honest. they are expensive and there are plenty of good dogs at shelters but if you choose to buy go for a good experienced breeder and not a puppy mill, pet store, backyard breeder, etc.
i am highly allergic to all dogs but have found that once you get used to a dog, your allergy to that particular dog really does go away.. seriously!
smiles.gif
it's worth it to me anyway.
um, poodle mixes are usually good for allergies - keep in mind that small dogs are really high energy, sometimes getting one a bit bigger is better because they are more mellow.

NutMeg

Check out individual breeds before you make your choice (and by that I mean go handle them). Apparently you can be allergic to individual breeds and not others... But the crazy part is that you can be allergic to dander, hair, or saliva. And if you're allergic to one breed's saliva you might not be allergic to it's dander. Crazy shit.

The moral of the story is that even if it isn't hypoallergenic you still might not be allergic to it.

User35

I love pugs and boston terriers..Im usually pretty sneezy with pets but those have short hair and are so damn cute. Im gonna get one for my birthday hopefully

MxAxC-_ATTACK

there is NO such thing as a hypo allergenic dog. its a LOAD of bullshit.

also if you want a pug, let me tell you that they are HIGH MAINTENANCE. and they SHED LIKE CRAZY.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
whatever breed your decide, please adopt from a shelter rather than buying from a pet store or breeder. there are breed specific shelters for any kind of dog you could want!

I just hate to see people making profit off animals when tehre are tons and tons of great dogs out there looking for home, who might be put down soon.

YES to all of this !!!

kaliraksha

My malitpoo is supposedely hypoallergenic... my boyfriend has terrible dog and cat allergies and he does well with her. I don't allow her on my bed and she has one cushion the couch to herself so her hair isn't everywhere when we sleep and it really helps.

Also, the best way to know I would think is post an ad on craigslist or ask around at work/wherever you hang out to see if someone would let you pet sit a dog breed you're intersted in for a day or a weekend so you can find out what your reactions are and whether you're willing to commit that kind of time and planning to a companion.

Hope you find a furry friend that melts your heart!

mel0622

Arrrgh! lol I'm getting frustrated because I've googled pet stores in my area and besides that fact that there are more groomers than pet store is annoying. But I've gone to three pet stores here and one only sells cats and is more of a groomer and the other two do not exist!! I went to the two and one is a resident not a pet store and I've called both stores and the phone numbers don't work either! What the heck!!! lol

mel0622

Ok so tomorrow I'm going to try the pound. I've looked at their website and they have a lot of Chihuahuas (short & long haired). Are they hypoallergenic?

BEA2LS

i would go play with them and see what happens - i seriously believe that once you get used to a certain dog, the allergies stop.

mel0622

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA2LS
i would go play with them and see what happens - i seriously believe that once you get used to a certain dog, the allergies stop.

I'm wondering if they'll let me do that at the pound...also my aunt has a pomeranian (she has pretty long hair) and every time I go to her house my allergies aren't that bad. She may bathe her a lot and when I pet her I always wash my hands right after...

mel0622

Thanks everyone! I think I'm settling on a shitzu. I've played and touched a few and so far I'm fine and can breathe!!! lol