This Dang Strike!!!!

SlimSugar

Has this writer's strike killed anyone elses thrill for the tube?? I have a weekly ritual and the strike just left me watching the News!

Sundays ch 7 Desperate Housewives
Mondays ch 11 Girlfriends and The Game
Wednesdays ch 7 Private Practice
Thursdays ch 7 Grey's Anatomy and Big Shots

They've all been repeats for the past 2 months and its hurting.
I work at night and I either made sure my Tivo was set up or I woke up just to watch it....

WHEN IS THE STRIKE GOING TO BE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!

purrtykitty

Yup...I'm totally pissed the final Scrubs season is probably going to be cut short!!
angry.gif
And, though some may disagree, I think the writers are being kinda whiney. It's been suggested that the union should be disbanded and the writers should go out as independent contractors. That way the writers that are worth their salt will get paid accordingly and the rest will have to put up or get out. I really feel bad for the other workers in the industry. There are sooo many people that have lost their jobs because of this strike.

*KT*

I have to disagree and think it's the networks that are being greedy.

Especially when it comes to the networks now wanting to share some of their profits for the online episode airings. When DVDs came out, the networks basically told the writers that there wasn't going to be any money in it and now the writers have basically missed the boat receiving anything from all those DVD sales so I don't blame the writers to want to get their share of the money the networks are making off the online ads in the online episode playbacks.

Writers are the creative force behind most of our favorite shows, I think they should be compensated for keeping us so entertained.

SlimSugar

Its crazy, theyre really thinking of pushing back the series' to the spring! I was reading on ABC.com.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KT*
I have to disagree and think it's the networks that are being greedy.

Especially when it comes to the networks now wanting to share some of their profits for the online episode airings. When DVDs came out, the networks basically told the writers that there wasn't going to be any money in it and now the writers have basically missed the boat receiving anything from all those DVD sales so I don't blame the writers to want to get their share of the money the networks are making off the online ads in the online episode playbacks.

Writers are the creative force behind most of our favorite shows, I think they should be compensated for keeping us so entertained.

got it in one. good on the writers for wanting to get the payment they deserve for their work. writing is incredibly difficult, and doing it for a living can be really taxing - especially with the way TV/movie script writers are treated by the studios and networks.

if there were no writers there would be no scripted tv shows or movies. end of story. they deserve to share in the success of their work.

the constant re-runs on TV can only be a good thing for me - it's encouragement to turn the thing off and do something else.

gigglegirl

well I personally don't think the strike has changed the programming on tv for me---though it soon will. Must keep in mind that December programming is usually crappy and there isn't a whole heck of a lot of new episodes...I remember this from years past.

But we will be impacted soon, there is apparently only one new Grey's Anatomy that will air in Jan...plus a lot of other shows are running out too.
I agree the writers should get their fair share especially since I admire a lot of the witty writing and they should get what should be entitled to them, especially if the networks are throwing episodes online without the writers getting a cent. Networks already roll in the dough from advertising and the online one would provide such a higher margin if there are only site-maintenance costs which would be more than covered by the advertising.

But like redambition said, no new scripted shows is probably a good thing, because sometimes I find I waste a lot of time sitting watching something mindless. There are other activities and tasks I'd like to and should be doing, so I'm looking forward to that.

Though I have to admit, I'm kinda psyched to see Big Brother in February. Prepare for the onslaught of tons of gameshows and reality shows to take the scripted shows place until the strike is over and production can resume!

*KT*

I still haven't watched the last episode of Desperate Housewives.... it's like watching it will really mean nothing new for so long. ABC has already slated "Lost" for "Grey's" usual time slot on Thursday nights. NBC's "Medium" is also due back for the 2nd half of the season, but not sure when they will be airing that.

I think the networks are going to have a hard time getting much of anything new that wasn't already written. Basically, if it was written, it was already shot & in production/post-production by now. Even if the strike ends, there's only so much time before a lot of these shows lose actors & actresses to previous commitments to other projects like movies.

As far as re-runs go, I hope they'll start fresh with episode one of some of the newer shows. I only watched a couple of "Samantha Who?" with it's strange moving time-slot and wouldn't mind seeing it from the start. Sure, I could watch it online... but I don't like sitting in front of my computer to watch tv.

Oh! I found this link a week or so ago. Basically shows how many prime-time episodes are left of the main tv shows UPDATED Strike Chart: How Long Before Your Shows Go Dark? - Ausiello Report | TVGuide.com

For the shows that only have 1-3 episodes remaining, I have to wonder if they'll opt to not run them until the start of the next season in order to leave all the shows with their December 'cliffhangers'. I just doubt the networks would choose to air just one more episode of Desperate Housewives post-tornado episode and then stop.

gigglegirl

although ABC is already promoing the tornado aftermath and Lynette asking why she can't hear her kids. So I think ABC would have a huge backlash if they pull that episode now. It'll be an interesting 2008 to say the least.

Thanks for that link!!

*KT*

Well this is a step in the right direction:

Letterman, Ferguson to Return With Writers, Thanks to WGA Deal

As if Dave didn't already have an edge over his late-night peers, World Wide Pants has made a deal with the Writers Guild of America that will allow both Late Show and Late Late Show to resume production Wednesday with their respective writing staffs on board.

Helping make this special consideration possible is the fact that Letterman’s World Wide Pants owns both talkers and as such — and until Friday — had been working out a deal with the WGA.

"This is a comprehensive agreement that addresses the issues important to writers, particularly new media," the WGA says in a statement. "Worldwide Pants has accepted the very same proposals that the Guild was prepared to present to the [AMPTP] when they walked out of negotiations on Dec. 7. Today's agreement dramatically illustrates that the Writers Guild wants to put people back to work, and that when a company comes to the table prepared to negotiate seriously a fair and reasonable deal can be reached quickly."

David Letterman also issued a statement, saying, "We're happy to be going back to work, and particularly pleased to be doing it with our writers. This is not a solution to the strike, which unfortunately continues to disrupt the lives of thousands. But I hope it will be seen as a step in the right direction."

The pressure is now (conceivably) on other late-night hosts to follow suit, and the WGA has already called out one in particular: "It's time for NBC Universal to step up to the plate and negotiate a company-wide deal that will put Jay Leno, who has supported our cause from the beginning, back on the air with his writers."

QTAllStarGurl

im just pissed that HEROES was cut short only 11 episodes were shown when it was supposed to be 24 AHHHHHH!!!!! sooooooooooo ANGRYYYYY!!!!! and i miss private practice and pushing daisies!!!!!!! but im most mad about heroes they better lower the price to buy season two since its only 11 effin episodes or I will FREAK OUT!!!...ok im done lol

spectrolite

I hate this strike! Just give the writers what they want please
ssad.gif
If I don't get some new episodes of The Office, I think that I might possibly die... I need my fix of Dwight, Jim, Micheal and Pam damn it!

MAC_Whore

My cousin writes for a prime-time show, so knowing that side of it, I am quite sympathetic. Writers are the heart, soul and guts of a show, after all. Without them, the show is a bunch of actors and a camera. I realized the strike is an inconvenience for some of our entertainment needs, but for the writers it is their livelihood, so I wish them well.

Divinity

This strike is a great reminder that there is more to a show than what you actually see on TV. I totally support the writers in their strike and believe they should be getting their dues too. It's so easy to take advantage of great talent in Hollywood, let alone of entertainment - esp. of those behind the scenes.

liv

I miss The Office. =[ I'm glad I now have all three seasons on DVD thanks to generous Christmas gifts and all the season 4 episodes are online.