This is HORRIBLE! Don't ppl have a heart??

clwkerric

I am the power of attorney for my 87yr old grandmother. In December of 2005 she was involved in an accident and hit someone. She lost consciousness while driving. THEN the following February (3 months later) She had a major stroke and has been in a nursing home since. She had 6 staples in her head from the accident and her doctors are saying that this accident is probably the cause of her stroke because of the severe trauma to the head. She is unable to walk and unable to communicate properly.. She is claimed as incapable of making her own decisions and I am now her health care surrogate as well as her power of attorney. (I make all health care and financial decisions for her) She is in constant need of care. My brother is living in her house and taking care of it while my grandmother is still alive... he called me last night saying that the police showed up at the house with a summons for my grandmother to appear in court... the people that she got in a car accident with are personally suing her! WHAT AS$holes!!! What kind of person sues an 87yr old woman who gave up her license in a car accident and later suffered a stroke because of the head injuries sustained from the accident!?!?!?!

Hilly

Wow- im sorry to hear that! People are so greedy! I mean they probably got paid from the insurance. Karma will get them!!!!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

thats ridiculous , whats wrong with people. and since you are her power of attorney, and she is physically and mentally unable to attend a court case , don't you have to do it?

Sikfrmthemirror

yes for sure. karma will bite them in the arse. once they walk out of that court room, something going to happen to them.

thats terrible. i know what its like to be taken advantage of in an accident like that. people are ruthless.

giz2000

Some people are just crap. I do highly recommend that you consult with an attorney, because they can go after her assets (house, bank accounts, etc). Best of luck, and hugs to you and your grandma...

Cosmopolitics

People can be greedy, ruthless, cruel arseholes. Karma'll happen to 'em.

I've had this happen to myself. If she's still covered under insurance, talk with the insurance company. They usually will have their own lawyers that will defend her against the other party.

Also, since she is incapable of making complex decisions, you may want to talk to a lawyer about that, as well.

I'm sorry you and your grandma have to go through this. Self-centred jerks.
ssad.gif

lipstickandhate

No offense but it depends on the damage they sustained themselves as a result of the accident. If they actually suffered injury, the law recognizes their right to be compensated for that injury by the person who caused it regardless of that person's age or current physical condition. If they didn't suffer any injury- other than the ubiquitous "soft tissue damage"- then they're total assholes. Sorry you have to deal with this, hire a lawyer ASAP!

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstickandhate
No offense but it depends on the damage they sustained themselves as a result of the accident. If they actually suffered injury, the law recognizes their right to be compensated for that injury by the person who caused it regardless of that person's age or current physical condition. If they didn't suffer any injury- other than the ubiquitous "soft tissue damage"- then they're total assholes. Sorry you have to deal with this, hire a lawyer ASAP!

sorry, but i think this whole attitude of suing someone for compensation is stupid a lot of the time. if it's extremely serious, then it might be warranted. any minor injuries that heal do not warrant a court case, in my opinion.

it seems like no one is prepared to accept that things happen in life any more. there has to be someone to blame for everything. this kind of attitude is irresponsible and wrong, and usually taken by people who refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions.

(yes, it's s rant, but it's something i feel strongly about).

i hope everything works out for you and your grandmother. hopefully the judge throws the case out of court if it's not really legitimate.

natasha

oh hun im so moving with grandmas...well i hope she get well soon....im sure that te judgeman will notice her condition and pity her....stay strong she needs u

Beauty Mark

Quote:
sorry, but i think this whole attitude of suing someone for compensation is stupid a lot of the time. if it's extremely serious, then it might be warranted. any minor injuries that heal do not warrant a court case, in my opinion.

it seems like no one is prepared to accept that things happen in life any more. there has to be someone to blame for everything. this kind of attitude is irresponsible and wrong, and usually taken by people who refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions.

I think we should withhold judgment as to why these people are suing. ITA that lawsuits are thrown around left and right for dumb stuff, but these people may have sustained serious injuries and may not be in the wrong at all to sue. I don't think it's unreasonable to seek compensation

I don't understand the second part of your argument, because there is someone to blame and from what it sounds like, the other party isn't to be blamed. Morally, YMMV as to whether they should sue; I can kind of see both sides, in principal that the prosecution was injured bad enough to warrant such a suit.

user79

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, but from the sounds of it, she should not even have been behind the wheel anymore! Passing out behind the wheel? That is so reckless! I'm sorry, but really old drivers are very, very dangerous because some just don't want to realize they are getting and old and unable to do some things anymore. What if your grandmother had hit a child on the road and the child was killed? You don't think the family has a right to seek justice for that? Obviously we don't know the details but it's not a case of greed, depending on the severity of the accident. I doubt your grandmother will even have to show up in court because of her health now.

aziajs

I can understand that you are upset clwkerric. It is unfortunate that your grandmother is in her current state. I sympathize with you and what your family is going through, I really do. And I am trying to tread lightly and use as sympathetic tone as possible. Having said that, I believe that at 87 years old it is time to turn in your license for this very reason. This is a very hot topic and very difficult to discuss but the reality is that things like this happen often with older drivers. As it stands we don't know the extent of the other parties injuries but the case could have been much worse. People could have been killed. Then what? It's sad that it had to come to this.

Tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition

(yes, it's s rant, but it's something i feel strongly about).

i hope everything works out for you and your grandmother. hopefully the judge throws the case out of court if it's not really legitimate.

I got into a car accident, it was just a minor one, but I hit my knee against the steering column. I now how arthritis in BOTH my knees and will always be partially permanently disabled because of it. Because of this, I cannot work MANY jobs and will always have problems with my knees. You bet your ass I'm suing the guy that hit me because of this. I can almost guarantee that there's a good reason for them suing.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I think we should withhold judgment as to why these people are suing. ITA that lawsuits are thrown around left and right for dumb stuff, but these people may have sustained serious injuries and may not be in the wrong at all to sue. I don't think it's unreasonable to seek compensation

I don't understand the second part of your argument, because there is someone to blame and from what it sounds like, the other party isn't to be blamed. Morally, YMMV as to whether they should sue; I can kind of see both sides, in principal that the prosecution was injured bad enough to warrant such a suit.

like i said - it was a rant. the second part was more of a generalised thing: so many lawsuits are pointless and stupid, and put forward because people want someone else to be responsible even if it goes against common sense. really, i'm just not a fan of the lawsuit culture that is emerging in the world.

as i also said, if the lawsuit is legitimate, then yes, there may be reason for it to go ahead. if the people suing are doing so because they're stupid-ass idiots, then i hope it gets thrown out of court for the grandmother's sake.

Latest posts