This isn't what i thought it would be.

girloflowers

I love my company, I love some of the products, I even love the girls their.
What I'm not so in love with is, well, alot of things.
I have to pretend to be someone else at work, all day, most days of the week. People at work would not recognise me if they saw me out of uniform.
Ponytails and high collared shirts, taking out all but 2 of my piercings, not wearing anything but a neutral eye and a nude balanced lip every day....
it's like i stepped out of the body of courtney love and into audrey hepburn, and i loathe it. There's no self expression or creativity in this job, the targets are killing me even though i usually make them...
The skincare i sell mangled my skin and left me -literally- looking like a dragon because i was so dry and disgusting until i cried to a beautician and they saved my skin. I can't believe in it. Some of the makeup is great but its very much hit and miss...
If I'd known before i started this job that it would be so... personailty deprived and unchallenging... I'd never have taken it
quite frankly, I would rather be working as a stripper. Yes. A stripper.
Girls, i don't know what to do...
I need the money cos after my makeup course next year im going to be forced to leave home cos my parents are retiring to another part of the state and i'm not invited. But this job is strangling me and every morning on the way to work i feel sick and sad and reluctant to turn up.
not to mention the bitching that goes on in the cosmetics section is awful awful awful.
I love makeup, I really do, but working in cosmetics retail is not as great as i hoped it would be.
I'm considering getting my RSA (responsible service of alcohol certificate) and getting work in a bar or something, or a club. or even at a music store at the mall which is kinda alternative.
What do you think, girls?
I'm so confused.

panda0410

I know its hard to be in a job you hate, I worked in retail for a while myself and loathed every second of it!!

The first thing I want to say is about the bitching - honestly, you have to learn to ignore, or let it roll off your back, because that happens in almost ALL employment sectors and part of working maturely is learning how to deal with that aspect of employment. I have worked in various industries since I was 17 and in almost all of them there was the bitch niche... stay away from it or learn how NOT to take it on board and you'll be fine
smiles.gif

If you are truly unhappy though then you need to either 1) learn to like it.... blah... that never worked for me
winks.gif
... or 2) find a new job!! Noone likes working in places they hate and speaking from a strictly health point of view it is the cause of long term depression in many people who for reasons to them and their families (usually a mortgage, lack of experience on other fields) are unable to leave. I wouldnt recommend leaving though until you have found something else that interests you, finding jobs these days arent easy to come by and theres usually more than enough competition for each one for employers to be quite picky, nothing is guaranteed as well all know now.

On the offhand, if you cant leave then try not to focus on your work environment - when you leave each day close that mental door behind you!! Kick your feet up and enjoy the weekends as best you can. It wont be like this forever if you are serious about not being there - you will find something eventually that suits you better, you just need to hang in there until you do
smiles.gif

girloflowers

thanks for replying so fast
smiles.gif

the hard thing with the bitching is it isn't even about me- i just don't like seeing them btich about each other and then be all happy friendly face to face.

and yeah i would only resign if i actually had another job lined up. But thats my other problem- i can't use my current job on my CV/resume, if im not telling them im job hunting... so thats like 5 months of experience i can't use :p

panda0410

LOL, I know what you mean Lil!! Just let them bitch among themselves, you are better than that and dont need to be involved. I never liked certain two faced employees I shared my workspace with, and my working life was much better not involved in the sniping
winks.gif
Be honest with yourself, stick to your guns, and be self assertive and you'll earn the respect your deserve
smiles.gif

I'm not sure why you cant use the experience you already have? Are you on a casual roster?? I guess if you were that would be a problem, but if you are contracted to FT/PT perm employment then hell, I'd be using it in every CV I sent out! I have more than once told my employer that I would be seeking employment elsewhere for various reasons and that prospective employers may well be contacting them. On the whole I've found that *most* of my bosses have appreciated the honesty much more knowing that I had already approached them and discussed my career path, and that a request for a reference from an outside party was not also an unexpected one. Is your boss approachable?

girloflowers

my boss is ok, but she's also pregnant and that means.. maternity leave eventually.
so if i told our line manager i wanted to go too... which i do... im putting her ina shitty position and i don't want to risk her like... trying to find a reason to fire me and find someone else before i have a chance to get another job

panda0410

She would have to show good cause for dismissal first, or I would be heading to DIR in a heartbeat. Your managers pregnancy isnt your problem either, it might put her in a shitty position, but AFAIC your first obligation is really to yourself. So long as you are doing your job properly in the meantime she would have no cause to dismiss you, you might cop some flack back from her if she is really output, but shes a manager - its her job to deal with situations that arise with employees, I wouldnt feel too badly about it, especially if I was at a point where I felt sick going to work every day
ssad.gif

I definitely would consider approaching her and telling her how you feel. She may be able to help you, maybe not, but its a bridge that will need to be crossed at some point regardless, I'm gathering you wont be spending the rest of your life there?
winks.gif
LOL!!

girloflowers

ahaha no i want out of retail as fast as my little legs and makeup brushes can carry me :p
i just wouldn't know how to tell her
like.. "oh hi, i dont like it here, so can i have a reference to apply for other jobs please?"

panda0410

LOL, honey not quite
winks.gif
You need to tell her that your career path is taking you in a different direction. Yes still in cosmetic fashion, but not in retail. You have to assure her that you arent going to dump n run - which is what a lot of employers expect, especially if they awere previously unaware that you are seeking alternative employment. Let her know that you will be seeking employment elsewhere, but that you intend to continue to fulfill your obligations there until you. Assure her that you will keep her informed. If she is approachable she should understand. My previous employers have been more than understanding when I approached them and were happy to help me in providing me appropriate references to prospective employers. I always managed to part on good terms with my employers, even from contracted work, and even though at least one of them wasnt happy with me leaving, she didnt hinder my efforts or make my work difficult while I looked elsewhere
smiles.gif

xLongLashesx

Panda has some awesome advice here Flowers!

I understand what you mean about being someone else all day, but I think we all are like that. We have to put on our 'work hat' so to speak, but I can understand you wanting to explore your creativity!

I am back in retail after a 5 year break and it is tough, you need a thick skin to be dealing with the general public. There's some days when I cringe a little and other days when it rolls right off.

Is there someone else that you can use on your resume as a reference? Your current employer doesn't need to know that you are looking for other work, you just need someone to take a phone call and say that you're a good worker, that's all. I've never put my actual manager on my resume :p

Miss Mimi

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time at your work. I know how you feel. I hate my job too- I work in the insurance industry and I work in customer service. Not fun. It's a really conservative company so I have to tone done a bit. But you do have to think as positively as possible. I work for a awesome company, people here are generally nice and I get paid a decent wage with good benefits. I have a family to take care of and I keep pictures of them all over my desk to remind me why I am there. I also started to get into blogging- to keep me busy and do something I actually enjoy. It's work- they wouldn't pay you if it was all fun and games right? Another thing I saw some had at their desk was a saying that ' I love my job, it's keeps me from going hungry, keeps a roof over my head and helps pay the bills'.
I feel I am stuck because the job market is so bad- I would have a really tough time finding another job that pays the same with good benefits. I don't have a college degree and it took me nearly ten years to get paid a decent wage.
In no way am I saying you to stay at a job that is completely making you miserable. Just take it one day a time, do your best, and just apply for a different job. Hopefully you will find a place to work that you will make you happy.
Good Luck!

girloflowers

yeah i think you're right- it boils down to sucking it up til i find another job :p
if i even got paid a ecent wage i wouldn't mind ahah. im getting AUD$11.. which is like 5 or 6 USD i think per hour

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by girloflowers
yeah i think you're right- it boils down to sucking it up til i find another job :p
if i even got paid a ecent wage i wouldn't mind ahah. im getting AUD$11.. which is like 5 or 6 USD i think per hour

Actually its about US$9.30...

Anyway, I understand how you feel. I felt the same for a long-time. Im still in cosmetic retail, but Im with a different brand, and it really does make a difference. Sure you still have a few shitty customers, but if you find a good brand with a good team (where everyone gets along) it really makes a difference!

MissMarley

Honestly, I think you'd be happier if you were in a different brand. The one you're with now does not fit you at all, and something more artistry and cosmetic-based would suit you better.

SpaJeweler

Quote:
Originally Posted by girloflowers
I love my company, I love some of the products, I even love the girls their.
What I'm not so in love with is, well, alot of things.
I have to pretend to be someone else at work, all day, most days of the week. People at work would not recognise me if they saw me out of uniform.
Ponytails and high collared shirts, taking out all but 2 of my piercings, not wearing anything but a neutral eye and a nude balanced lip every day....
it's like i stepped out of the body of courtney love and into audrey hepburn, and i loathe it. There's no self expression or creativity in this job, the targets are killing me even though i usually make them...
The skincare i sell mangled my skin and left me -literally- looking like a dragon because i was so dry and disgusting until i cried to a beautician and they saved my skin. I can't believe in it. Some of the makeup is great but its very much hit and miss...
If I'd known before i started this job that it would be so... personailty deprived and unchallenging... I'd never have taken it
quite frankly, I would rather be working as a stripper. Yes. A stripper.
Girls, i don't know what to do...
I need the money cos after my makeup course next year im going to be forced to leave home cos my parents are retiring to another part of the state and i'm not invited. But this job is strangling me and every morning on the way to work i feel sick and sad and reluctant to turn up.
not to mention the bitching that goes on in the cosmetics section is awful awful awful.
I love makeup, I really do, but working in cosmetics retail is not as great as i hoped it would be.
I'm considering getting my RSA (responsible service of alcohol certificate) and getting work in a bar or something, or a club. or even at a music store at the mall which is kinda alternative.
What do you think, girls?
I'm so confused.

Dear Girlflowers:

I understand how your feel. After working for a great corporation for many years, I moved into part-time jobs working in the service sector as I pursued establishing my own business. It's a completely different world
smiles.gif

You have received some great advice here. Basically, I agree that you're not with the right brand and yes, there are creative ways to use your current experience to your advantage.

Also, the grass always seems greener somewhere else. So take your time, do some self-assessments, and pursue that brand/opportunity that truly suits you best. In the meantime, don't groan and complain about where you are (I know that you are reaching out to the Specktra community and that's different
smiles.gif
as that will only make your current circumstances even more unbearable.

Finally, use the "law of attraction" to magnetize that perfect job opportunity to you (or depending upon your faith, draw upon that, too!)

Remember, your best days are ahead of you. Good luck!

Spa Jeweler

girloflowers

Thanks all of you
greengrin.gif
you really are helping
smiles.gif

the lancome CM at my store is leaving- im thinking of seeing if i can try to wriggle over there as they seem at least slightly more makeup oriented than clinique- though the dress code is still darn strict.

Ideally I'd like to be working for MAC, Make Up Store, Inglot of maybe Napoleon. I guess we'll see after i finish my course
smiles.gif

colorlvr

Hi there!

You and I have a lot in common as far as the angst of working with women and watching them backstab eachother - I deal with that on a DAILY basis.

I missed what makeup line you're in - is it Clinique?

I DO work for Lancome as a CM, and we are much more "modern" looking in the dept store I am in, compared to the other lines. We wear all black, the lancome vest, then as much jewelery and makeup as we wish - which is a lot of fun. Lancome as a company has been great to work for, and, I would not work for any other line - we are the highest prestige line in my store, and I am proud of that.

Anyhow - just a shout out and keep us updated on how things go. I may write more later when I have more time....

BEA2LS

is it the actual retail you do not like or is it just working for clinque because they are conservative? if it is clinque, could you transfer to another estee lauder company? if you are dreaming of working at mac for example this could be your way in.
i'm not a huge fan of my job neithr i work in an office but can barely pay bills. still with this economy i am hanging in there until i get find something really, really nice.

SmokeSignal16

Hang in there girl, I'm with you too! I'm kind of getting exhausted by the fact I've been working at Macys (do they not have enough people with credit cards yet gosh!) and I do work for Clinique also and I know if I can switch to another line or maybe a totally different department store I'll be alot happier. It just seems as of late I've been getting a burnout too. But try and hang in there and just keep looking around at different opportunities, I'm kind of limited since I'm in college right now but I'm being optimistic in looking and waiting for the right job. Just try and take it a day at a time and let's just hope for us we can find the right place!

Latest posts