This weekend in DC

benzito_714

If anyone is in or traveling to DC for inauguration events I just wanted to say enjoy yourself and be safe. There are a lot of events going on so you wont be bored but just be patient and come with an optimistic attitude.

MAC_Whore

It will be packed! If you thought the Cherry Blossom Festival was crowded, multiply that my 400 and you will have the inauguration. I've heard that a lot of businesses are just going to close that day, due to the crowds.

I feel for the police and public service other agencies. They are in for some LONG days and nights.

benzito_714

yeah the police and some branches of the military are working the inauguration-i work at cvs part-time and our usual officers (the store is in a rough neighborhood) have not been there for two weeks in preparation for the weekend's events.

as for the businesses closing it is only fair to the employees who have to struggle with the commute. you would have to leave your house at 4 am to get to work by 9 am. my husband will be off for both monday and tuesday but he has definitely earned it as his job supplies ALL DC bars, clubs, restaurants, military bases and the white house with their alcohol.

Fataliya

I'm pissed that I have to work on Tuesday, so I'll miss the inauguration.

What are the chances someone will put it out on DVD so I can buy it??

I think the History Channel should do the DVD. I wanna watch the whole thing, not just blips on the news coverage of it.

DAMN MY WORK SCHEDULE! =(

MAC_Whore

I'm sure you will be able to buy a DVD of it. It's a major event. That and just about every other person in DC is selling some kind of Obama- or inauguration- related product to make a buck or two.

concertina

I think CNN.com will be broadcasting the event on their website. I'm going to do that at work; just sit at my computer and watch.

I would give *anything* to be in DC right now.

belle89

I went to the concert yesterday. It was INSANE. I wouldn't be surprised if there were over 500,000 attendees. I live only a few miles from downtown DC and getting home was a *itch. I'm going to tomorrow's inauguration. I figured being a part of the festivities is totally worth it.

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle89
I went to the concert yesterday. It was INSANE.

This about sums up my DC experience so far.

I'm here for "work"- my internship coordinators invited me to come with them to the inauguration. Good luck to anyone coming down tonight or tomorrow; I'm thinking traffic and the Metro will be a nightmare, but so far DC is proving to be a damn good time. None of my other work trips here have been this much fun.

Fataliya
: with all of the cameras and news crews I've seen the past few days I'll guarantee that someone will make a DVD. In the meanwhile, I think C-SPAN was suppose to be doing live media feeds until it's over. See if you can catch those.

Stay safe everyone!

Fataliya

I work until 4 am...I wonder if they'll run repeats??

God, I'd give anything to go to the inaguration. Hell, I'd give just about anything to meet President Obama!!

purrtykitty

As amazing of an experience as it would be to be in DC for the inauguration, I am so glad I'm a thousand miles away. I do not like crowds.

Have a safe and wonderful time for anyone who is lucky enough to go.

ClaireAvril

I wish I could go! Many Canadians are making the journey to Washington and I'm jealous. We'll be gathering @ the TV at work tomorrow 12pm sharp!