thoughts on holiday brush sets and palettes

mima

i saw these last week in person. you could pre order them but you couldn't take them home until thursday.

i wish i could just buy the short handled 187 by itself - it is the only travel brush i want since i own all the other brushes in travel sizes (having bought brush sets starting in 2003). by the way, i thought the 2003 winter brush set was the best so far. i'm still using it 3 years later. other years have been hit or miss for me. i will probably buy the face brush set this year though, just for the mini 187 since i love it so much (and use its big sister every day). i thought all the sets were a good deal for travel sets (so don't think of using them everyday) but the packaging didn't seem practical (nor did it look that great imho). also, well, the packaging of the palettes looked cuter in the photos, i think
ssad.gif
of course, this depends on personal opinion.

i had a moment of OMG-am-i-going-crazy-or-having vision problems when i swatched the light pink colour from one of the palettes. (i think it was the cool palette). it shows up very definitely as a pretty BLUE on my skin. i was so shocked i swatched it FIVE times with the same result each time. and the matte teal showed up much more green than teal on my ggg skintone too. anyway, at least two of the colours show up completely differently on skin than they do in the pan.

so i am planning on the intense eyes and the warm eyes palettes for two reasons - they have the lone new/exclusive/LE veluxe pearls in them, and they have 4 new colours apiece. but honestly, the colours do seem kind of same old same old and if you have an extensive collection, you might pass on them. i'm still debating it myself, especially because i didn't find the texture of what i assume to be the veluxe pearls the usual magic texture.

the lip palettes were cute but i am on a lip palette no buy so i bravely ignored them.

to conclude, the holiday palettes are an excellent value for people new to mac. they let you try out a whole lot of colours for a good price. but there didn't seem to be anything dramatic this year for me - a collector since 2003. as for the brush sets i hear the same debate every single time they come out (which is twice a year approximately).

NO the quality of the brushes in the brush set is NOT the same as the quality of the full size versions. how could it be?? you're getting approximately 5 travel brushes for the price of a SINGLE full size one, and surely the handles are not so expensive that if you chop off a bit of the handle, the brushes are suddenly a lot cheaper because MAC saved on the price of wood or whatever. no. you get what you pay for, and it is the brushHEADS that make a difference. almost invariably, i like my full size brushes more than my travel sized versions. but notice i keep using the word travel. you may not want to take your whole full size collection with you when you're away from home. i use my minis approximately once a month because i travel often, usually for two or three day long trips. over the course of a year, i'd say i use them approximately 30-40 days of the year. with proper care they have lasted perfectly well and look as good as new to me. they do the job when i don't have access to my full sizes, and they are so convenient to pack and to carry. plus, if God forbid, i lost them, well it wouldn't be as big a crisis as if i lost my full size brush roll. [eeek!]

i don't think the holiday brush sets would be good as your everyday brushes! i think they're not made for that, and they probably won't last (i'm basing this according to my friends' experiences, and according to what i've seen on MUA. i personally have never used my travel brush sets as much as i use my every day full size ones).

for everyday brushes, either get that gorgeous Pret-A-Porter set coming out online or do what i did - slowly buy one or two brushes at a time, over several years, until you have the perfect personalized set of full size brushes for yourself. also, don't limit yourself to MAC brushes. MAC has some EXCELLENT brushes (187 is definitely HG) but so do smashbox, stila, trish mcevoy, laura mercier, girorgio armani, etc etc and even drugstore brands like quo, annabelle, essence of beauty and l'oreal!

i really hope this helps. EDITED TO ADD: You could use the brush sets for everyday, but I still think they're not the same quality as the full size brushes, that's all.

baby_love

I just want the 187se too. I bought the brush sets from ornamentalism, so I have all of the brushes they are featuring in that set except for the little 187. the brush sets were SO cute last year, but I wish they had black handles, that's what I like most about them this year. the bags are just so so in my opinion.

I MIGHT get the warm pallet, but I doubt it because I want to save up for other things.

oiseaubleu

Thanks for all that information, but I'd like to offer a different opinion and say that my travel brushes from 3 years ago have held up perfectly with everyday use. Maybe they don't make them as good as they used to, but the set I bought a few years back (black rectangular case with silver mesh on top) has been really good to me--I've used it everyday since I bought it.
smiles.gif

MiCHiE

Yeah, I've used my Patternmaker brushes from Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale since I've gotten them. They're great and in perfect form, even after heavy washing. I've heard SE brushes are hit-or-miss, but I have no complaints about mine.

mima

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseaubleu
Thanks for all that information, but I'd like to offer a different opinion and say that my travel brushes from 3 years ago have held up perfectly with everyday use. Maybe they don't make them as good as they used to, but the set I bought a few years back (black rectangular case with silver mesh on top) has been really good to me--I've used it everyday since I bought it.
smiles.gif

heeey! that's exactly the brush set i am talking about when i say the 2003 one is the best ever that i have. good to hear you had so much success with it.

mima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
Yeah, I've used my Patternmaker brushes from Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale since I've gotten them. They're great and in perfect form, even after heavy washing. I've heard SE brushes are hit-or-miss, but I have no complaints about mine.

cool! this is my second favourite brush set (after the 2003 holiday one) especially because i got i think it was called pinstripe which was the first time they had the foundation brush mini etc

oiseaubleu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mima
heeey! that's exactly the brush set i am talking about when i say the 2003 one is the best ever that i have. good to hear you had so much success with it.

Aw, I feel so bad--I just re-read the beginning of your post and I must've skimmed right over that part about the 2003 set.
blush-anim-cl.gif
Sorry. But, yeah, that set has just been awesome and I'm glad it's worked for you too
smiles.gif

Ella_

Thanks for your review on the brush sets
smiles.gif

I actually like the mini brushes, mostly because the FS ones are soo expensive here $80 or so for the 187!! Im not made of money
lol.gif

I have the brush set that came out a few years back in the multi coloured green case, the brushes had black metal bits and green handles. I use them daily and not one of the brushes is shedding yet.
I think maybe that of each batch of brushes there are going to be great ones, crappy ones and a whole lot of so-so ones...

productjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
how much is the brush set going to be?

$62.00 Canadian for the brush sets.
$45.00 CDN for the Eye Sets
$42.00 CDN for the Lip Sets

iiifugaziii

in u.s., brush sets are $48. as employees of MAC, we don't get our discount.. but i want ALL OF THEM. they are SO much cuter and nicer than last year and i want them alll!!!!!!!! i love the little bags them come in. i'm more excited than most of the customers are about them. can't wait

Throwaway Style

I wanted to get a bunch of the holiday stuff because I thought it was really cute, but I've had lots of art supply stuff to get, all of it expensive, and whatever I have left I end up spending on movies, books, and cds.

n_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiifugaziii
in u.s., brush sets are $48. as employees of MAC, we don't get our discount.. but i want ALL OF THEM. they are SO much cuter and nicer than last year and i want them alll!!!!!!!! i love the little bags them come in. i'm more excited than most of the customers are about them. can't wait

What's your take on the quality of the brushes? Do you think they can be used daily? TIA!

Ms. Z

I have used my Tailormade brushes since I purchased them last year alternating recently w/the ones sold for the Holidays 2005. I clean and/or wash them every week and I also use them on other people and they have held up well (except for one blush brush which is recently starting to shed a little w/use).

Re: Pret-a-Porter set
Do the brushes have special handles (I know it has a special decorared brush roll) or are they identical to the ones sold individually?

lilviolingrrl

Do you think the quality of the brushes in the Pret-A-Porter will be the same as the regular sized brushes, or will they too have the seemingly lesser quality of the travel size sets?

mima

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilviolingrrl
Do you think the quality of the brushes in the Pret-A-Porter will be the same as the regular sized brushes, or will they too have the seemingly lesser quality of the travel size sets?

since the pret a porter set is all full size brushes, with full size prices to match, i believe it will be the same quality as regular brushes
smiles.gif

redambition

i am drooling over this collection... and i normally don't go gaga over LE.

i really want the warm eyes palette, and the basic travel brush set. the palette is a given, i will decide on the brushes when i see the price here ... $48 US usually means around $100 here.
ssad.gif

Latest posts