Thread Start Date

Kiwiberries

Hi all.

I am new, so please steer me in the right direction of this is a feature I have yet to discover or there is a trick that I have not learned yet... But I have hard time figuring out if a thread is one that I have looked at yet or not. I know that I can go to my first unread post.. but I am looking for a way to quickly see the thread start dates without having to go into each thread and see if it looks familiar. This would be especially useful with the FOTD, Haul, and Traincase sections where I can't remember by title if I've looked at it yet or not.

I see that there are envelopes on the left of the threads, but I cannot figure out a pattern to help me as some are closed for threads I have never opened, while others are open envelopes on ones I have never opened.
th_dunno.gif

Also, it would be nice to have the "first unread post" feature in stickied threads as well

Thanks for listening!

specktra_rocks.gif

vikitty

The
firstnew.gif
indicates that there is a new post to a thread. You can click on it to take you to the first unread post.

There is a legend at the bottom of the forum indexes with all of the envelope styles and what they mean.
smiles.gif

If you haven't actually replied to a thread, there's no way to tell if you've actually opened the thread and read it aside from the link style -- if it's bold, that means you haven't clicked on the link before.
smiles.gif

COBI

thread_new.gif
thread_hot_new.gif
Hot thread with new posts
thread.gif
No new posts
thread_hot.gif
Hot thread with no new posts
thread_lock.gif
Thread is closed
thread_dot.gif
You have posted in this thread

But I think what you're asking about regarding knowing if you've already looked at an FOTD, for example, isn't possible. I will often use the number of views as a gauge for how new a thread is (fewer views=newer thread); an FOTD with more than 400-500 views for example is usually "old" for me because I sign on frequently; thousands is definitely older.

Bold vs. unbold isn't always accurate since it must be based on cookie/cache/history clearings or something because I know there are times when an FOTD is bold and I look at it, and it's one I've seen before.

Kiwiberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
But I think what you're asking about regarding knowing if you've already looked at an FOTD, for example, isn't possible. I will often use the number of views as a gauge for how new a thread is (fewer views=newer thread); an FOTD with more than 400-500 views for example is usually "old" for me because I sign on frequently; thousands is definitely older.

Bold vs. unbold isn't always accurate since it must be based on cookie/cache/history clearings or something because I know there are times when an FOTD is bold and I look at it, and it's one I've seen before.

That is exactly what I am asking about. I think it would really improve usability.

Thanks guys for your tips.

wifey806

that's funny! i've been wanting the same sort of thing. I was thinking at least a way to 'mark as read' that isn't based on cookies... or even a way to block a post from showing up again. But I don't know computers, so I don't know if that's even possible lol! Oh well, it's not soo bad looking at the same FOTDs over and over.
smiles.gif