Tipping Ettiquette at a hair salon?

lil_kismet

Do you tip the person who washes your hair if different from the person who cuts your hair? How much? And is it absolutely necessary?

CantAffordMAC

I am a shampoo assitant (just wash the hair, thats all). At every salon I know of, you tip the shampoo girl. Some salons don't have shampoo assistants, the stylist who is cutting the hair washes the client herself.

If there is a shampoo assistant at the salon you go to, I say please tip her. I only make $8.25/hour and its really not much. I have things to take care of I'm 19 years old and if people didn't tip me I'd be broker than I already am. Tips are a part of my income (not a huge part, not like a hair stylist or waitress) but they do make a big difference.

I definetly wouldn't say to tip her the same amount as the stylist though. The lowest I've seen a stylist get here is a $5 tip for a $25 men's haircut. The most I've seen a stylist get is $50+ for a cut/color/style etc....

The lowest tip I've gotten is $1. That sucksssssssss. lol. The most I've gotten is a $20. It all depends on the person....my normal tips are $4 or $5. Sometimes people will do $2, and sometimes people are very generous and give me $8, $10, $15. It all depends on the person

Thank you for asking this instead of being a client who "doesn't know any better". Thats like an excuse not to tip.

mindlessgapgirl

I work at a spa, and some of the clients tip the shampoo girl. Most of them should - she is the one that gets them ready for the cut, and occasionally does the blowdry as well. She will often get them drinks and just generally deserves the extra recognition, as she probably makes a fairly low wage. So I would recommend just showing your appreciation
smiles.gif

breechan

Wow, can I just say that I love living in a country where I don't have to tip anyone, ever, for anything. If I did try to tip someone, they would probably refuse and try to give the money back to me.
yahoo.gif

I like paying the price I see on the menu/price list, and knowing the staff is paid well by their employer. Also, the employees appear to be gracious and happy to have customers with no expectation of monetary reward.

It's going to suck going back to Canada, and being expected to pay upwards to 30% more than listed prices due to tax and tips.
thmbdn.gif

PS- this isn't meant to offend people who work for tips in any way, just cultural difference.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by breechan
Wow, can I just say that I love living in a country where I don't have to tip anyone, ever, for anything. If I did try to tip someone, they would probably refuse and try to give the money back to me.
yahoo.gif

I like paying the price I see on the menu/price list, and knowing the staff is paid well by their employer. Also, the employees appear to be gracious and happy to have customers with no expectation of monetary reward.

It's going to suck going back to Canada, and being expected to pay upwards to 30% more than listed prices due to tax and tips.
thmbdn.gif

PS- this isn't meant to offend people who work for tips in any way, just cultural difference.

That is understandable. Theres an esthetician at my job and we pay a much lower price for her services (massages, etc). but then having to tip her on top of that is like, damn what the hell is the point in having a discounted price?

I understand how it feels. Because I am a broke person....as much as people's tips help me out, It hurts my pockets sometimes to tip them well. But I always do, because I know its hard.

My salon is owned by someone who just started her business. She just doesn't pay me well. I have to sign out when I get any services done or when I do services for other people. I just don't get a lot of hours or money. I would much rather be doing hair then shampooing for a living--its very trying at times.

user79

I also live in a country where tipping is optional, and def not expected to be as much as in N. America, because the salaries are higher and incorporates a service tip charge. I think required tipping should be abolished, the spas and salons should just pay their employees propperly and fairly, and raise the prices to include the tipping portion somewhat more. That way everyone gets what they deserve, and the customer doesn't have to wonder how much to tip all the time. I worked as a waitress for a number of years, and people do tip here at restaurants as well, but def not the 15-20% of the bill as is common in N. America. Some don't tip at all because it's not required.

Personally, I don't tip shampoo girls, in salons that have them, I just tip the stylist if he or she did an awesome job. My stylist now does everything anyway so it's easier. I'm sorry if this offends someone, but I just don't think shampooing someone's hair is a skill that deserves tipping. I just don't think tipping should be applied to all service jobs, tipping to me is like the "little extra" if someone has gone above and beyond. Doing a stylish haircut that is exactly what you want deserves a tip, imo.

COBI

I don't use a salon that has a separate shampoo assistant (the stylist is with you from start to finish), but I have a question: do you tip them independently or include it in your final payment?

For example, I know that at restaurants, waitstaff generally has to share their tips with bussers (and possibly bartenders), but as a customer, that's not my issue. Shouldn't shampooing be the same (i.e. up to the salon/stylist to worry about splitting my tip)?

Loveleighe

typically i tip 10% of my service ticket and a little extra if i really like the service. If there is someone who washes my hair i'll try to give them at least $3 because having been the person who washed hair i know they make very little. It's not absolutely necessary but IMHO it is polite as people forget a lot of their income comes from tips, the same goes for most ppl in the service industry. My check for waitressing barely ever was $50 for two weeks, most of the time my taxes were taken from that and the check i recieved was voided. So all of my income relied on those tips. Working 16 hour shifts i would be expected to make $160 on tips but throw in a bunch of tables who thought it would be nice to not tip me i'd be lucky to walk away with $50 which is nothing when i'd have to tip %10 to bussers, 10% to the bar and $10 to runners/dishwashers. imagine going home after working 16 hours non-stop with $35 in your pocket. I mean stylist make a little more salary but it's nearly the same thing.
The only time i have not tipped is when i asked for something and i got something else that damaged my hair and i had to spend the next 6 months reconstructing it. I believe the better you treat someone who is serving your needs, the better they will serve you so i try to give what i can.

some stylist will tip their assistants but that's not usually the case some see it as since their assistant is paying their dues why should they have to pay her. esp if it's a new stylist who doesn't have many clients yet... even still she'll get what $10 for the day but washed & prepped 40 client for services she worked almost as hard but isn't allowed to have her own clients and makes $7-8 an hour. I know some people don't care but having worked in both industries i can't help but to give when i think it's deserved.

KittieSparkles

I personally think the shampoo person should get a tip. They are part of the process and they do the nasty part of the process (some people come into the salon with hair looking like they have not washed it in a month, yuck!). In most salons they are the one that clean up the mess that the stylist does at the end and in my opinion work just as hard as the stylist and does not get compensated or appreciated as they should.

The last salon that I worked at our shampoo girl washed the clients hair, did the roller sets, assisted which ever stylist needed help, did the laundry and cleaned/organized the salon at the end of the day. She got paid min. wage. From the tips I made if she helped me with any clients I would try and give her something too cause most of them gave her nothing.

So yes, please do tip them.

glam8babe

in the UK not many people tip.. to be honest i dont see the point in it. sometimes i do like if someones really helpful such as a waitress or whatever but i dont bother. They set a price so i give them the right amount of money, if they want a tip why dont they add on an extra £ or so to the price? thats how i see it

When i was a waitress i got tips, but i suppose lots of people tip waitresses

When me and my boyfriend went to the caribbean, when we arrived the guy who took our luggage to our room wouldnt let us take it ourselves (We were aware of this because of the reviews on trip advisor) Then he had the cheek to hold out his hand as if to say "wheres my tip?" it pisses me off when people do this.. my boyfriend didnt know what to give him so he gave him 5 dollars which is ALOT for those people because they are poor. I shouted at my bf when the man gone and said a dollar would have been enough!!

then at the end of the holiday they rang our room on the last day to ask us what time we wanted them to pick up our suitcases.. we said we could handle them ourselves but they wouldnt listen so they said they will be at our room in an hour.. so we quickly packed, grabbed the key and got out of the room... it took 20 seconds to walk to where we had to wait, it was soo easy, didnt struggle and i bet the people who were meant to pick up our cases were pissed off lol serves them right

sorry for the essay

ritchieramone

I don’t like it when a tip is clearly – and sometime very unsubtly! – expected either. I understand that some businesses don’t pay their employees as well as they should, but I don’t believe that it’s the customer’s duty to make up for the shortfall, especially when the service received is no more than the level it should be anyway.

Having said that, I always leave a tip when I go the hairdresser, even when I don’t feel it’s really warranted! Sometimes, it’s the stylist who shampoos my hair, so it’s straightforward tipping when I pay. Some other times though, it’s one of the juniors and I always ask that the tip be shared with them. Whether or not that actually happens, I have no idea.

I usually pay £25-£30/$50-$60 to have my hair cut and blow-dried and leave a tip of about £5/$10. I don't know if that’s considered mean, generous or just about right.
001_unsure.gif

lovelyweapon

I can definitely agree with MissChievous in the sense where the tip should be in the wage, however, in most salons this is not the case. If I lived in a country where tipping were not required for that particular reason, then I wouldn't tip. For now I live in N. America and find that people here should always, always tip including the shampoo assistant (especially the shampoo assistant!).

Hilly

I always get confused about tipping at my nail salon.For instance, If the owner is doing my nails, why do I have to tip? Aren't they going to get all the dough anyways? It's wierd.

Girl about town

i agree if the person owns the joint why would i have to pay extra money when all the cash from my hairdo goes to her anyway!!! if they want more money put the prices up. I have visited countries where people stand with their hands out after foisting their service upon you. Also in the USA i was astounded when a waiter said "How much gratitude will you be leaving "when he was bringing the bill, How rude!!!! it made me not want to leave anything!! The way i see it you have payed plenty of money for service, most restaurants, hairdressers etc make huge profit anyway!! x

amoona

I hate tipping because I'm always worried how much should I tip? In the Middle East we don't tip which is nice because you don't have to worry that, but when I'm back here in America I'm always wonder.

For example I go to a lady to get my eyebrows threading and it's in her own lil studio in the back of a hair salon. She charges $15 which is already too expensive for eyebrow threading and then I tip her $5. I don't know why I do tip her since it's her own studio and the money goes right into her pocket regardless.

It's how we're programmed, plus I'm always worried if I don't tip well then next time I come back they'll screw me.

COBI

I guess my question still stands: I don't run around a restaurant and tip each person (waitstaff, busser, bartender) individually, why would I be expected to do that in a hair salon? Why shouldn't the stylist be expected to kickback some of their tip to anyone who assists? I personally don't even bring cash to the salon.

Again, my question is more of a curiousity as my salon doesn't have shampoo assistants; you're with the stylist from start to finish.

One person did comment that many stylists feel like the assistant is paying their dues and wouldn't share tips; which begs the question, if they don't think the assistant should be paid more, why should the customer pick it up (as someone else mentioned)?

Also, it is important to note that waitstaff in the US makes *below* minimum wage. I do not believe employees in salons fall under the exception ruling for minimum wage. The current US minimum wage is $5.85; New York is $7.15 (states can override/increase the local minimum wage.)

Please don't misunderstand me: I have NO problem tipping for good service (my general tip starts at 20% and goes up or down from there), but I am wondering why I should be expected to walk around with pockets full of tip money versus expecting the salon to be able to determine a way to professionally distribute a general tip based on my entire service.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I think required tipping should be abolished, the spas and salons should just pay their employees propperly and fairly, and raise the prices to include the tipping portion somewhat more. That way everyone gets what they deserve, and the customer doesn't have to wonder how much to tip all the time.

LoL people should do a lot of things that they don't do. I have been at my job for a year next month, and asked for a raise about 4 months ago. My boss told me that at the time she couldn't do it, but she hasn't brought it up since. That is a whole other story, but I only get paid $8.25. That is not enough to live on. I work another job that pays pretty much the same and I still don't make enough to live on my own here. I could never go out and get my own apartment, pay all the bills, buy groceries and still have money leftover. reality is I make about $800/month (if i'm lucky...its usually not that much).

I wish I was just paid more so i wouldn't necessarily have to worry about tips but thats usually not the case for shampoo assistants. I'm glad I make more than the minimum wage here, but it is still a joke. After you raise your prices time after time, you don't want to raise them another $5 just for the shampoo assistant. Clients don't like that price change, they want things to stay the same, and I don't think they like being charged extra so that i can take home money. Whether one thinks its a skill to wash hair or not, it is required. You could always lean over the sink and wash it yourself. The stylist is usually too busy to do it themselves, and as it is someone's actual job to wash the hair, it'd be nice to get recognized for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittieSparkles
I personally think the shampoo person should get a tip. They are part of the process and they do the nasty part of the process (some people come into the salon with hair looking like they have not washed it in a month, yuck!). In most salons they are the one that clean up the mess that the stylist does at the end and in my opinion work just as hard as the stylist and does not get compensated or appreciated as they should.

The last salon that I worked at our shampoo girl washed the clients hair, did the roller sets, assisted which ever stylist needed help, did the laundry and cleaned/organized the salon at the end of the day. She got paid min. wage. From the tips I made if she helped me with any clients I would try and give her something too cause most of them gave her nothing.

Do you know how nasty it is to begin washing someone's hair and see scales and flakes all over their scalp? Or be in the middle of shampooing and feel a humongous pimple on their scalp, or bumps all over their scalp? Or to be told to "really scrub their scalp with your nails" and all you can think of is the dead skin thats going to be under your nails afterwards? Or to have their head smell so freaking gross that you wanna gag, or to have build up so thick that you actually have to pick it out with your nails or a comb? Its fucking gross, thats what it is. But thats my "job"

I sweep, mop, do laundry, clean color bowls, shampoo, throw an occasional touch up/gloss or highlights on, take off hairpieces, clean hairpieces, color hairpieces, dust....its neverending. I pick up everyone slack at the end of the day when they would rather have a cup of coffee and chat with everyone than clean. It really feels good to have someone respect and appreciate what you do
winks.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
I always get confused about tipping at my nail salon.For instance, If the owner is doing my nails, why do I have to tip? Aren't they going to get all the dough anyways? It's wierd.

I always wondered that too. The boss at my job owns the salon and is a stylist too. It kills me because she gets big tips too ($30+) for one client and its like, hello.....she is taking all of your money! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
I guess my question still stands: I don't run around a restaurant and tip each person (waitstaff, busser, bartender) individually, why would I be expected to do that in a hair salon? Why shouldn't the stylist be expected to kickback some of their tip to anyone who assists? I personally don't even bring cash to the salon.

One person did comment that many stylists feel like the assistant is paying their dues and wouldn't share tips; which begs the question, if they don't think the assistant should be paid more, why should the customer pick it up (as someone else mentioned)?

I can only speak on how my situation is. I know most of the clients, and when they come in I am genuinely happy to see them. I am interested in how they are doing, I want them to be comfortable, I want to hear about whats going on in their lives. I talk to these people and they know me and care for me too. I guess my salon is dfferent. I am glad to have this kind of relationships with the clients. Maybe thats why some clients tip me $10, and get me christmas gifts, etc.

The stylist is working on tips too. She is lucky to make 50% commission on the hair that she does. Okay so lets say she does a color and cut which brings her price to about $90 (at my salon) Okay now you are down to $45 because the other $45 is going to the owner. She mad $45 for one client, which is okay, but she is probably depending on her tips too. I can't expect her to come out of her pockets every day because the clients "didn't feel like" going around and tipping other people who helped them. Most of the clients here don't bring cash to the salon either, but when they pay you can ask them to add on extra and they can give it back in cash to you so that you can tip.

I am just so glad to work where I do. I have learned to love it. the stylists there do not look at me as the shampoo girl. They appreciate all the help I give them. They usually offer to tip me if a client of theirs didn't give me anything. but I don't accept it. It is the client's fault, not the stylist. Maybe some of you don't know how embarrassing it is to go up to someone and say "yeah your client didn't tip me...." Hell no i won't do that, I'm not going to expect the stylist to pick up that slack.

And what makes me happy is when a client got shampooed by me, she got her hair done by a stylist, and got a massage by the esthetician and I see her going around with something for everyone who helped her. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I seem to be the only shampoo assistant here, so I wanted to give some insight.

user79

Well one time at a salon in Canada, the stylist was running behind with client, so the shampoo girl also blow dried my hair and straightened it. When I went to pay, I told the stylist that my tip should be split between her and the other girl, because I think she did part of the stylist's job.

But I agree with Cobi that if the shampoo assistants are reliant on tip, the salon owner is the one who is responsible for splitting up the tips that is given to the stylists, in a manner that is fair. I just don't think it's fair to anyone to leave that decision with the customer, customers are always confused as to how much to tip and to whom. If the salon just took the tips and split them between the employees according to who did how much work like it's done is restaurants, this problem wouldn't be there.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think it's the customer's position to fix the problem of underpaid employees. That is the salon's responsibility.

noahlowryfan

i usually tip $1 for the shampoo and $1 for the cut. i don't go to those high end salons. i have the same stylist for over 10 years now and its only $8 for a cut.

Girl about town

i think its disgusting that hairdressers are expected to touch people without gloves lol, im a nurse and even if i help someone brush their hair i will wear gloves. Thats repulsive that people expect you to massage their scalp with their nails eeeew so wrong!!!