Tips For Driving In The Snow

Shadowy Lady

hey, I live in Ottawa, Canada and it's been snowing here since last night. Right now we have about 15 cm of snow on the ground :/ I would say us Canadians are quite used to driving in the snow.

My suggestion is definitely allow more space between you and the car in front of you. If you feel like your car is sliding, don't hammer on the break in one go, instead do a few gentle push and your car should stop normally. I would also invest in winter tires. I don't think NY gets as bad (snow wise) as Ottawa but winter tires should help you especially if it's your first winter drive
smiles.gif

vocaltest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korms
Ooh, this has confused me because my Mum told me to stay in a high gear, I had visions of driving through the snow at 20mph in 5th gear (I'm in the UK and drive a manual car)! This is my first winter as a driver, so I am pretty clueless!

Your mum is right. You should try and keep to say... 3rd gear or 4th gear. If your car is in 1st then obviously it is the most powerful gear, therefore you could shoot off or do some wheelspins (which are fun, but not in snow
yahoo.gif
), so if you're in a higher gear the car has less power therefore you're more unlikely to shoot off in some ice etc. I'm in the UK btw. I bet i won't get any damn snow, I hate living in the south sometimes!!!

ginger9

Invest in snow tires they are a God send in snow! And everyone else gave great advice already I won't repeat them. Oh make sure you have plenty of wind shield wiper fluid can be very dangerous when it runs out and your visibility is reduced. Imo often times driving in the snow is more about watching out for other drivers than the snow itself since people have less control of their vehicles.

kaexbabey

WOW thank you everyone, i didn't think this topic would get this many responses hahah. i feel a little more comfortable about trying either later today or tomorrow. lots of jerks today though who didn't wipe the snow off of the top of their car and got on our windshield. bleh.

NutMeg

A word about snow tires: The reason you only use them in the winter is because as the weather gets hotter the contact with the pavement at a higher temperature wears them down far faster than regular tires. I don't know anything about the winters where you live (I'm Canadian), but my advice is that if you're going to have snow on the ground for most of the winter then get the tires. If there will only be snow on the ground sporadically then it probably isn't worth it because your snow tires won't last long.

Some good advice on this thread, basically go way slower than you think you need to, and especially when taking turns or stopping start braking waaaay sooner than you would expect until you have a better idea of how your vehicle handles in snow. Just be cautious until you know how to do it. Slipping on ice is a lot like hydroplaning, because in both cases your tires have lost contact with the road surface. Don't overcorrect, don't panic, just ride it out and brake gently. Keep survival stuff in the car, especially for your kids. If you do go off the road you want them to be nice and warm until someone comes to get you. By survival stuff I mean warm clothes, a blanket, some water (this one can be tricky because you don't want it to freeze solid and explode, and you'll need a way to warm it up... candles!), kitty litter is a great suggestion.

Depending on how cold it is out, let the engine block of your car heat up before you start driving. Make sure your windows are defrosted and clear of ice/snow, as well as your side mirrors. This sounds obvious, but brush any snow off your roof and the hood of your car. When you start to drive the snow may get blown up onto either your front or rear windshield and because it's warm it will stick. And after all your hard work de-icing, you now can't see out of your windows again.

My last point is actually a good attitude to have while driving in any condition. Drive defensively. By that I mean drive based on the assumption that all the people around you are going to screw up. If you have the right of way and someone is coming up to a stop sign, have your foot on the brake in case they leave it too late and slide into the intersection. If you know someone is going to fast, quickly plan out how you're going to avoid them if they start sliding towards you.

Anyway, that is how I drive in the winter. You just have to be a lot more cautious and alert than usual.

*KT*

Not much to say except this:

Remember the law of inertia. More weight = longer to stop... and let's face it, stopping is the biggest problem on the snow and ice.

If you have a FWD car, you shouldn't need to weigh your car down at all as the engine is enough weight to do the job of getting you moving from a stop. I'd rather get going slowly than not be able to stop because I've got extra momentum from added weight in my trunk.

Weighing down the back end of a RWD vehicle is basically to give it a little more contact with the pavement to get going from a stop since there's normally not much weight over the rear wheels and they'll spin in the snow. Just remember if you have a flatbed truck and are adding weight, don't use BRICKS! You don't want any of those babies flying towards the cab if you hit something head-on. Sand bags, kitty litter, salt... just nothing that could hurt you if it goes flying forward at 50mph.

xsnowwhite

Ugh I hate driving in the snow! People here drive so freaking fast even when its like a blizzard which makes me feel rushed too! Just drive slow, take your time! Also try not to use the brakes often and if you do, brake slowly, that can cause you to slide around.

VDUB*BELLA

Two words: SNOW TIRES

Please invest in some good snow tires. The cheapest snow tire will out perform the most expensive, the 'best' all season tire. It makes a huge huge difference. I cannot stress this enough.

The rest is just common sense; slow down, keep your windshield washer fluid topped up and always have atleast half a tank of gas.

Good luck!

ClaireAvril

Driving in the snow is pretty basic.
I never had driver training when driving in the snow.. but a lot of the guidelines are common sense.
- drive according to conditions.. if the weather is really bad slow down!
- someone told me once when you start skidding.. steer left and right slightly and its supposed help the tired regain a grip.
- snow tires don't make you king or queen of the road.. be courteous to others and always remember that a lot of people don't keep their cars in good shape.. they may have old ass all season tires on with no thread left ready to slam right into you.
Some people seem to forget that its not summer anymore.. they continue to drive like there's nothing has changed..
- carry salt, a small shovel, blanket, cell phone make sure you're car is winter ready service wise.
- of course.. if its really bad and you don't have to go out DON'T GO! or take transit.

Korms

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
I bet i won't get any damn snow, I hate living in the south sometimes!!!

We got a miniscule amount of snow in Northampton yesterday. My car was frozen shut this morning
ssad.gif

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
A word about snow tires: The reason you only use them in the winter is because as the weather gets hotter the contact with the pavement at a higher temperature wears them down far faster than regular tires. I don't know anything about the winters where you live (I'm Canadian), but my advice is that if you're going to have snow on the ground for most of the winter then get the tires. If there will only be snow on the ground sporadically then it probably isn't worth it because your snow tires won't last long.

Just want to add one more thing about snow tires: If you get studded snow tires (which I prefered when I used to swap tires for the winter) is to check with your local regulations. In my area (not sure if it's a state or local law), you can get fined for running *studded* snow tires after April 1. I don't even know the "start" date for them because I usually didn't have them swapped out until the first really big storm (along with everyone else.)