TKBTrading - Chalky?

cyanidewine

Hey guys!
I ordered a good handful of colors from TKBTrading a month or so ago, and I've been experimenting with making my own colors, as well as using them by themselves, but I've noticed their application and staying power are kind of yucky so far. They don't go on very smooth, color payoff doesn't look great but it looks wondeful if I take a giant swatch on my fingers.

When mixing my own colors, I sometimes add titanium dioxide as a filler but it still hasn't smoothed it out much. The colors are gorgeous, the colors I've made are pretty good, but I'd like to see some better applications. Have any of you found better fillers or tips for using the micas from TKB? I'd love some tips =].

If it helps, I currently have Scarlet O'Hara, Taurus Orion, Capricorn Sea, and Smokey XXX.
Thanks tons!!

shatteredshards

I haven't started blending my own colors yet, but I picked out Extender White as a base with my order (mica & titanium dioxide).

About what percentage of your blends are base and mica? And what are you using to mix them? If you're doing it strictly by hand, adding some base to the bag and shaking it up or whatever, you might want to try using a grinder instead - I've heard of a coffee grinder being used.

cyanidewine

I was mixing it by hand/in a bag shaking it up, and I'm not positive about the base ratio, it depends on how I want the coloring. I'll have to try playing with the base to see if it helps!
Thanks!!

Latest posts