to all my ladies workin 2 jobs!

ktinagapay

okay with the whole economy crisis going on Im thinking i need a second job; so here are some of my questions to those ladies who got this balancing thing down!

I work at mac about 20-28 hours a week; its so random. but they give me my schedule a MONTH in advance...so my questions are

1. I know a private owned business/resteraunt would probably work around my schedule, does anyone have any other or specific company suggestions I should apply for thats understanding about these things?

2. How do I go about asking them to work around another schedule without "turning them off" about hiring me.

i know these are silly questions, i need some advice though! thanks everyone!

kaliraksha

I would definitely start by looking for places that advertise flexible hours, especially those jobs geared at students. (since students usually seek flex hours) Look for a local place where you have a better chance at talking with an owner who is kinder towards your situation.

I wouldn't apply to any place with a posted schedule unless you can meet those hours, other than that, after each interview I would ask what their policy was on flexible hours and explain your situation. It may take you longer to find a job, but at least you and your employer will both be happy with what each of you can offer.

Best of luck!

jenee.sum

^^^ i agree. definitely find somewhere that offers flexible hours. also you can do waitressing for after hours when MAC is closed. anywhere that offers late hours i guess will be good. so a night shift at a restaurant would be a great choice to make extra buck that wouldn't interfere with your day job.

i finish classes for my program in ECE in the end of april, and i just landed a full time job as an ECE for right after i finish my classes, but i also work as a cosmetician on the weekend. since i need my ECE career but also can't let go of my makeup obsession, i might have to work 2 jobs too. >.< and yes...especially since the economy is like this too. sigh.

work hard, play harder.

blazeno.8

I think the biggest problem that you will find is that employers know they have some leverage over potential employees right now. That being said, you will probably have to restrict your schedule at MAC to something a little more predictable in order to give a good pitch. Luckily even though I have more than 2 jobs, I can predict quite well when I will be open and when I will be busy because of the nature of my work.

lafemmenoir

You know you have a tight spot. MAC is so random, and at times, they will call you in for more hours so keep that in mind. In addition, if you can get near a college campus they usually have career centres and you may find a host of jobs which will be in areas you may have an acute interest, children's homes, residential homes of different sorts, call centres, barista's etc. Good luck, also market yourself freelance on Greg or Craig list
smiles.gif

MACLovin

Ahh.. I'm looking for a 2nd job right now too! My hours got cut
ssad.gif
so i'm only working 12-5 instead of 9-5...uurrrgh it blows, big time.

So it's like.. I need something either in the mornings, or some kind of flexible job in the evenings and on weekends.

I'm actually thinking about going to one of those recruitment/temp agencies just to see what they have! They may have someone who needs part-time sporadic help so that would work. It's so hard to find something on your own right now.. the job market SUCKS!

Rudyru

Walgreens Pharmacy. If you apply before 2010, you don't have to have a BA and they will train you on the job. The hours are extremely flexible. They even accept my call ins when I have to work short notice for MAC, so it really is a life saver.

MACLovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyru
Walgreens Pharmacy. If you apply before 2010, you don't have to have a BA and they will train you on the job. The hours are extremely flexible. They even accept my call ins when I have to work short notice for MAC, so it really is a life saver.

What kind of credentials do you need to work there? And what is the position, just a pharmacy assistant/tech? Or do you have to have a degree already?

ktinagapay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACLovin
ssad.gif

So it's like.. I need something either in the mornings, or some kind of flexible job in the evenings and on weekends.

I'm actually thinking about going to one of those recruitment/temp agencies just to see what they have! They may have someone who needs part-time sporadic help so that would work. It's so hard to find something on your own right now.. the job market SUCKS!

oooh going to a temp agency so they can help find a job is a great idea. you can just find a local temp in the yellow pages right?

ktinagapay

Quote:
ssad.gif

really? but its more than likely theyde perfer BA applicants...i will look into this as well though! im making a list.

1. college jobs / student
2. temp agency
3. walgreens

MACLovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinagapay
oooh going to a temp agency so they can help find a job is a great idea. you can just find a local temp in the yellow pages right?

Yeah pretty much! The way I've found most of them though is by looking at careerbuilder.com or a few of them that I know of are:

Adecco
Kelly Services
AppleOne
Manpower
OfficeTeam

I need to spruce up my resume and just go into one of the offices.. it's really easy, they give you a small typing test, and I think it has some basic math and English so they know they're not hiring some moron, lol..then they basically sell you and your skills to prospective employers. I've gotten some cool jobs thru temp agencies! I worked at this really posh private beach club once, it was amazing. Had to be my favorite job ever, looking at the ocean all day? Free gourmet lunches? Um, yes please.
yes.gif

Good luck!! let's all keep each other updated on our job searching.
greengrin.gif

ktinagapay

lets!!! ahh sprucing up the resume is the boring part =P but it must be done. thanks for the website!

xxManBeaterxx

Quote:
What kind of credentials do you need to work there? And what is the position, just a pharmacy assistant/tech? Or do you have to have a degree already?

It really depends on the pharmacy each store is different. All though if you did go through pharmacy tech school [its a 4 month program] you will probably have a better chance at getting the job, you do not need a degree. But some pharmacists are willing to train people who want to be tech's. I have no issue training tech's but i will only choose people who are interested in the general health field and currently a degree in pharmacy.

rosasola1

getting in to a place that is barely opening up or has a "grand opening" date for the future is a good way to go. That's what I did. Like a restaurant that is hiring before they open.I hope that makes sense haha