To everyone that has a myspace account..

drummerlover2000

Did you know that there are some libraries that are not allowing anyone to access myspace at all? I was sooo pissed when I came to the library in Hillsborough County to find that out! I never had a problem before now accessing the site. Do they really have the right to do that?! I understand that there are some people not being careful on the site but damn thats their fault for putting all their information out there for the whole world to see! Not only that but they want some creep to find them and search for them when they basically prostitute themselves on their pages! GRRRR I'm just so pissed that it has lead to this!

koolmnbv

I think for the safety of some ppl. regardless of if they are "stupid" or not the government (the public library is government) has the right to try to protect them and if it helps only a few or even only 1 person it is a good thing. I can understand how it is bothersome but there are many other places you can access a computer for a low or no charge. Also if I was a parent of one of these kids I would be glad that predators have a little bit more limited access to this also it will make it harder for the predators to find a way to disguise there internet access this way!

lovejam

I wasn't even aware that libraries allowed people to use the computers for personal stuff. I don't think my local libraries allow use of the computers for anything other than research.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejam
I wasn't even aware that libraries allowed people to use the computers for personal stuff. I don't think my local libraries allow use of the computers for anything other than research.

I used to hate it when I'd roll up to the uni library to do research and find all the computers clogged with people cruising MySpace and Hotmail, so I'm all for libraries getting rid of it. Keep the personal internet use for home, leave the library computers to those who want to read and reearch.

Lucy In The Sky...

i heard that some places on like school campuses and such are not letting people go on myspace, cause they claim that it uses so much bandwidth cause everyone goes on it....

xiahe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerlover2000
Did you know that there are some libraries that are not allowing anyone to access myspace at all? I was sooo pissed when I came to the library in Hillsborough County to find that out! I never had a problem before now accessing the site. Do they really have the right to do that?! I understand that there are some people not being careful on the site but damn thats their fault for putting all their information out there for the whole world to see! Not only that but they want some creep to find them and search for them when they basically prostitute themselves on their pages! GRRRR I'm just so pissed that it has lead to this!

oh.gif
t: i used to live in florida! i lived in clearwater and i practically grew up there...but now i live in ohio.
weeping.gif

anyway, a lot of schools and libraries are beginning to outlaw myspace on their computers because it takes up a lot of bandwith, thus making computers with high speed internet run really, really slow. that's happened to a couple of community colleges in my area...but thankfully not the one that i go to. =D