Tons of Q's and need A's =) thnx

CandyKisses1018

first off I'd like to say HI to everyone! =) I'm Kristina and I am a New Member =) When I first found this site I was in heaven .. lol =)

Do any of you know any eye shadows (circle ones) that can be depotted?

and does Max Factor live up to its hype? I mean I've heard that the pigments are AWESOME and it's a pretty good brand to use.

I've never used HIP or Max Factor so if anyone could fill me in on the Pro's and Con's that'd be cool..

I went to Esthetics school to become an Esthetician (Skin care professional) and They made me use Colour Lab cosmetics, I don't know if any of you have heard of that brand (it's pretty much a metro Chicago based makeup line) and it's pretty cool except the eye shadow pigments literally stain anything it lands on.. lip gloss kinda sucks.. and it's all pretty much costume blending.. i dunno but I hated it.. =)

I am about to start my MAC collection soon =) anyone have have good ideas as to where I could start? lol like what should I buy first?! where do you all usually start out? what do you guys buy first?

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyKisses1018
Do any of you know any eye shadows (circle ones) that can be depotted?

Milani can be for a fact (there's a tutorial around here somewhere on it, iirc), NYX, etc. most of them can be, check around here for the warnings on them though.

MACATTAK

^^ Agreed with the above. Milani is really easy to depot, just stick a thumbtack in the hole (in the back of the shadow). Should pop right out.

I bought some HIP shadows because they looked so pretty in the pans. I was very disappointed in them. The color payoff was not good at all (for me). However, there are some girls on this site that use them and they look beautiful, so it might be trial and error for these.

As for Mac, I started off with a good foundation/powder. Just look around & see what catches your eye. There is no wrong/right way to start a collection
smiles.gif

rainy

The only Max Factor products I own (or have ever liked enough to buy) are LE shimmer and nailpolish from several years ago. I wish I could replace them : ( My point was that I don't know many people who actually recommend Max Factor, which makes me think they don't have much to offer...?

As for starting a collection, maybe first get all your basics, or your favorite, go-to colors. Test stuff in a store and see what you fall in love with... Also depends if you're talking about a personal or a starter-professional set.

Daphne69

you can't get the round Milani singles anymore, unless you find old stock somewhere. I believe they've stopped making them.

MACATTAK

^^ I can still find them at my Walgreens & Target. They don't look like they are going anywhere.

LeeanneMarie

I LOVE Max Factor mascara! I recommend 2000 calorie and volume couture.

The only HIP item I've ever used is one of their shocking shadow pigments. Pros: Cheaper, quality is great, comes with a little brush that is actually an AWESOME brush to use for pigments (in my opinion). Cons: Still expensive for a drugstore brand (Try to find it on sale like BOGO), I might as well get a full sized MAC pigment for a bit more money cause I'll get much more product and better quality too, it would also be cheaper to buy MAC pigment samples, since I'd never use up a full jar anyways.

As for what you should get first, it depends on what you normally wear. Some of my first purchases included blitz and glitz fluidline, Viva Glam V lipstick and lipgloss, and shroom eyeshadow.

nunu

Hi Kristina! Welcome to Specktra!

I would reccomend you to look for a concealer (if you need one), foundatione and powder! that was my fisrt purchase from MAC. Then i moved to the necessary/basic brushes that i would need for the face and eyes. Then i moved to eyeshadows, blushers and glosses
smiles.gif

hope this helps!!
happy new year!

CantAffordMAC

I've tried MaxFactor's glosses. They work pretty good (like Cover Girl Wetslicks IMO) this is the only product I like from MaxFactor. And honestly...if I had to choose, I wouldn't even buy the glosses. Like I said...wetslicks by cover girl are even better.

I don't like HIP. Colors kind of sucked for me. But I like the glosses (in a tube). Some of them are very pretty.

When I first started going to MAC, I built my collection verrrrry slowlllly. I bought a concealer. Then a couple months later I bought an eyeshadow, then a year later I bought a foundation, etc. I just went on my first MAC haul and got Fix+, foundation, carbon shadow, viva glam v lipstick & gloss, and a pencil sharpener. You can always ask your MAC artist what they suggest to begin a collection. I'm sure they have a nice list of things that are considered "must haves"
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

For MAC (I'm not a devotee, btw), I really like the gel liners called Fluidline. I think they're truly a must have. I feel like they're unique and for the price, they're amazing.

I haven't experimented with other brands' equivalent liners, but MAC's are great.

I also like their lip glosses. Depending on your skin, I can't recommend their foundation, because it oxidized and broke out my skin.

athena123

Big question and no one size fits all answers
smiles.gif
I'm also new to MAC and wondering what to start on; opted for eyeshadows and lip colors since they come in shades I don't already have and I'm pretty happy with my current skincare and foundation products. Good luck, isn't it fun discovering a new world?

matsubie

i second beauty mark's comment on the fluidlines. i love these b/c they do not smear on my incredibly oily lids. i've always had problems with liquid liners and even other gel liners smearing but with these i've had nothing but luck with.

i'd say the next things to start investing on are the great selection of shades of the eye shadows/pigments. then if you decide you like the texture of the products, go back to trying out the basics (foundation, powder and maybe some of their skin products (ex. strobe cream, primers))

mac's pretty addicting so start splurging at your own discretion!
drools.gif

AmberLilith

I pretty much started my MAC collection by getting pigment samples from sellers on LJ. I was so excited about all the beautiful colours and the great texture that i wasn't so bothered about blush, foundation eyeliner etc. It's also so much cheaper to get samples than to try to buy whole pigment jars! Especially when there are some colours you might not want to use often.

Latest posts