Tornadoes and scary storms!!!!

ashk36

Holy crap!! They're some scary stuff going on right now!! I'm right in the path of this crazy storm we have brewing in the southeast and as neat as storms are to watch sometimes, I'm skeered!! It hasn't hit us quite yet but it's on it's way. It's in the southeastern part of my state at the moment, and I'm pretty much smack in the middle of the state. What's worse is the bad shit isn't supposed to start going on until when my little butt is supposed to be in bed sleeping! Aaaaand I'm in a second floor apartment. Part of me wants to go hide at mommy and daddy's house, part of me wants to stay home and drink this grey goose and 7up and hope for the best.

How do you prepare for a big storm coming your way? Have you ever been through a tornado or seen one?

aziajs

I have lived in a few areas where I had to take shelter because a tornado was coming. It's terrifying. The sky looks black, like out of a movie. The tornado sirens are going off. I was scared out of my mind.

concertina

I've lived in Kansas, East Texas, Central Texas and North Carolina. So yeah, I've seen tornados.
greengrin.gif
Along with hurricanes, floods and ice storms.

The sky will go green, and the clouds just get...spooky. I don't know how to describe it. But in the summers in KS, almost nightly we'd be in our hallway with blankets and pillows when the sirens went off. Its scary. We had a few touch down near us, and went on a few clean up efforts.

Water, food that doesn't need to be heated, a crank radio, flashlights and batteries, back ups of medication....all important things to have.

Drink that grey goose and 7up girl...maybe you'll pass out and sleep through it.
winks.gif

nebbish

I'm in Georgia & we just got those storms. OMG.
To prepare, I go into my inside-est [no windows] room & turn on the weather channel. Then I proceed to freak out until it's passed ... lol
I've been through a couple tornadoes, but they weren't that bad.

ashk36

We've got a pretty gross thunderstorm right now. Lightning like crazy, thunder, it was really windy for a while there, too. My cat is watching the storm like a hawk! I have this crazy idea that my animals will know before I will. If they start to freak out, that's when I'll start to freak out!! But right now I'm trying to stay calm and wait for it to pass. I just hate that we're in an upper apartment, and it's no help that it's night so I can't really see what's coming!

User35

at least you guys see it coming and can prepare a bit...go for cover. I live in CA...we got earthquakes. Now thats some scary shit. Ive been at work and had to evacuate a town due to a huge wildfire..I couldnt go home for 3 days and all I had was the uniform on my back. For some reason my town has tornado sirens as well...the sound everyday at noon...freaked me out the 1st couple times I heard em. Kudos to you guys though...I dont know if I could deal with tornados.

chiquilla_loca

yeah! it sure is scary here down south! (AL)
last night a huge tree fell down into the street pulling down electric cables & branches landing on a parked car. it blocked the entire street off! it was the scariest sound, it was loud & it woke me up and i was just watching The Day the Earth Stood Still before i went to sleep, so i was freaked out. it was pouring rain outside, me & my husband went outside to look, and check on our cars in the parking lot. we're supposed to have more storms here later today!
i have never seen a tornado. they happen in surrounding suburbs, not exactly where i live, but i hear the sirens all the time.
i know what you're talking about ashk36! if you are alone it's best to keep a battery operated radio & flashlight near by. my kids get scared when the electricity goes out. i do too, a little.
hope everyone else in the SE is okay!

ashk36

I need to invest in one of those weather radios. I have become a weather nut lately, I have no idea why. It was beautiful outside yesterday, now it's rainy again today and we'll have more thunderstorms again tonight!! When will it end?? I'm ready for at least a week of beautiful spring weather dammit!

chiquilla_loca

don't think i'm crazy ya'll but the other day before it rained & stormed. it was nice & windy outside so i took advantage & went to the park to fly a kite! it was fun! makes me feel like a kid again!

Latest posts