Totally delish foods, that just dont seem to go together...

Raerae

I was eating my lunch today and thought I would share one of my current FAV snacks to get, when I order Thai Food...

Ready? Your gonna laugh it's so bizarre...

Deep Fried..... TOFU!

Isn't that a laugh. It's like two complete opposites, married into something totally yummy.

Anyone else have any really odd or strange foods that dont seem to belong together, but are really good?

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Yes, I LIke to go to Wendys, Get french Fries and a Frostie, and dip the Fries in the Frostie,

YEAAHH it sounds gross but its totally good!

I also put a little salt on apples.

Shawna

I used to eat at this Vietnamese restaurant almost every day and one of my favorite things was deep fried lemongrass tofu. It was amazing. So much for the tofu being healthy though
lmao.gif
Oh yeah, they used to have this deep fried noodle dish too. Yum. Boy I miss that place.

Bernadette

It's like tempura veggies. So yummy but so what for healthy!

There is this strawberry pretzel cream cheesey dessert that I ate at a BBQ that I've made twice, I just made it again the other day. It's super easy. Anyway, it sounds and looks terrible but that whole salty sweet thing is SO yummy!

Recipe:

This pie has a pretzel crust and is filled with a fresh strawberry, whipped cream, and gelatin filling for a quick dessert.
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups crushed thin pretzel sticks (see Notes)
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups boiling water
2 heaping cups sliced strawberries, fresh or frozen
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup whipped topping (see Notes)
1 package (6 ounce) strawberry flavor gelatin
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 400 F.

Finely crush pretzels with a rolling pin or food processor. Combine crushed pretzels with 3 tablespoons sugar and butter.

With a spatula, press pretzel mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan to form a crust. Bake 6 to 10 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely.

Pour 2 cups bowling water over strawberry gelatin. Stir until melted and let cool to room temperature.

Beat cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and whipped topping until combined. Spread evenly over cooled crust.

Add strawberries to cooled gelatin and let thicken slightly. Spread over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until firm.

Cut into squares to serve.

Yield: 24 to 36 servings, depending on cut size

Notes: As for the pretzels, select thin pretzel sticks. A 9-ounce package is plenty for the pie shell. Real whipped cream may be used, of course, but Cool Whip and prepared Dream Whip work equally as well and are not quite as rich and heavy.

IslandGirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
Yes, I LIke to go to Wendys, Get french Fries and a Frostie, and dip the Fries in the Frostie,

Ha ha, mine would be McDonalds fries with vanilla ice cream. Yummy, sweet and salty. I think I eat alot of strange things.

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK

Me tooooo! I even do the fry/ice cream thing with McDonald's haha.

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
It's like tempura veggies. So yummy but so what for healthy!

There is this strawberry pretzel cream cheesey dessert that I ate at a BBQ that I've made twice, I just made it again the other day. It's super easy. Anyway, it sounds and looks terrible but that whole salty sweet thing is SO yummy!

Recipe:

This pie has a pretzel crust and is filled with a fresh strawberry, whipped cream, and gelatin filling for a quick dessert.
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups crushed thin pretzel sticks (see Notes)
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups boiling water
2 heaping cups sliced strawberries, fresh or frozen
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup whipped topping (see Notes)
1 package (6 ounce) strawberry flavor gelatin
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 400 F.

Finely crush pretzels with a rolling pin or food processor. Combine crushed pretzels with 3 tablespoons sugar and butter.

With a spatula, press pretzel mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan to form a crust. Bake 6 to 10 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely.

Pour 2 cups bowling water over strawberry gelatin. Stir until melted and let cool to room temperature.

Beat cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and whipped topping until combined. Spread evenly over cooled crust.

Add strawberries to cooled gelatin and let thicken slightly. Spread over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until firm.

Cut into squares to serve.

Yield: 24 to 36 servings, depending on cut size

Notes: As for the pretzels, select thin pretzel sticks. A 9-ounce package is plenty for the pie shell. Real whipped cream may be used, of course, but Cool Whip and prepared Dream Whip work equally as well and are not quite as rich and heavy.

Yumm...that sounds so good!

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
I love it sounds and looks terrible haha...

Pics please!

It's when you serve it that it looks really bad. It turns into a pile of mish mosh. Taken with me phone
rofl.gif

dessert.jpg

Bernadette

Oh and you have to eat it within two days. I just went to take a bite and the pretzels were soggy, not cool :|

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl77
Ha ha, mine would be McDonalds fries with vanilla ice cream. Yummy, sweet and salty. I think I eat alot of strange things.

omg that's sooo my thing haha. i put mcdonalds fries and dip them into soft serve vanilla ice cream. omg i want some right now lol

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
Oh and you have to eat it within two days. I just went to take a bite and the pretzels were soggy, not cool :|

lol too funny

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
omg that's sooo my thing haha. i put mcdonalds fries and dip them into soft serve vanilla ice cream. omg i want some right now lol

ahh me too but I gave up deep fried foods for my resolution!! My most favorite food is french fries.. ESPECIALLY from McDonalds... .. ( I was basically living off of them not good
weeping.gif
)

~LadyLocks~

Ok so speaking about the McDonald french fry thing, I forgot to mention that sometimes I dip the frys in honey. Sounds gross and I normally don't like my foods sweet but for some reason I almost always do this and have been for the longest time lol. Strange...:shrug:

IslandGirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LadyLocks~
Ok so speaking about the McDonald french fry thing, I forgot to mention that sometimes I dip the frys in honey. Sounds gross and I normally don't like my foods sweet but for some reason I almost always do this and have been for the longest time lol. Strange...:shrug:

I like them in the Sweet and Sour sauce. I swear sweet and salty is soo good. Chocolate covered pretzels..mmmmm. I sound like such a hog. LOL

IslandGirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona

Yeah, I think I know a few people who love this too. My man thinks it's strange.

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl77
I like them in the Sweet and Sour sauce. I swear sweet and salty is soo good. Chocolate covered pretzels..mmmmm. I sound like such a hog. LOL

OooOh chocolate covered pretzels...yummmmmm!! So are chocolate covered gummy bears!!

*Stargazer*

I love Granny Smith apples with salt on them.

But the best random combo is peanut butter and cheese Doritos. I also like plain Lays chips with ketchup.

Beauty Mark

I thought I was the only person who uses either honey or sweet and sour sauce for their fries! I actually don't like ketchup.

Two weird things I grew up on:

1) Potato candy. Take cold mashed potatoes and mix it with a bunch of powdered sugar. Roll it out, spread peanut butter on it, and turn it into a roll. Let it sit in the refridgerator and slice. It's candy, and so good.

2) I don't have the resume, but there's mock apple pie, which is made with Ritz crackers.

Bernadette

Some of these are pretty interesting. It made me think, what would some of these ladies eat if they were pregnant
rofl.gif
!