Training

Sneak

When someone gets the job, what does the training consist of? I was told it is only a run down of the products etc. I would love to hear about your training.

giz2000

In Basic (1 week), you get a general rundown of the products, but you also get color theory, application methods, sanitation and counter practices, and customer service/relations. The training is pretty intense, but, IMHO, you learn most everything else (how to do dramatic, colorful eyeshadow, etc) on-the-job...

Sneak

OK great, thanks. It sounds like fun! Btw, your quote in your sig inspired me, I have an interview in 2 days and I am trying to stay positive
smiles.gif

blueyesdancing

No, training does not go to freelancers. Freelancers are extra staff when needed, depended upon for retail skills and makeup application...unfortunately they can sometimes feel like they are just "thrown in there"....it can be overwhelming, but the good news is that if/when a permanent spot opens up, most counters select from their freelance staff to hire.

MisStarrlight

I freelanced for 9 months before being hired on aas permanent....no training at all....and I started on Black Friday. I was definitely "thrown in there," but I survived....and you will too. Just watch what everyone's doing and pick it up from them.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneak
UGH I didnt know that. If I get this, I would need & want to learn more!

You'll be fine...just help everyone as much as you can (help them put product back, clean brushes, etc) and watch what they do (as far as procedures, applications, etc), and you will catch on in no time!!

MisStarrlight

During Holiday I was getting up to 40 hours a week, but after New Years it kinda dropped off...usually once or twice a week, but for 2 months straight I didn't get called at all. If you have any sort of regular bills (aka, you're not living at home with mommy) you should find a back-up job to get you through...something during the week cause most of the time if you're called, you'll get called for the weekends.

To increase your chance of getting called (over other freelancers) you'll want to be as friendly as possible...help everyone out with cleaning and stock and junk and keep your numbers up. If they like you a lot sometimes you will get calls directly from the permanent staff-if they are sick or have to call in at last minute or something.

Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
During Holiday I was getting up to 40 hours a week, but after New Years it kinda dropped off...usually once or twice a week, but for 2 months straight I didn't get called at all. If you have any sort of regular bills (aka, you're not living at home with mommy) you should find a back-up job to get you through...something during the week cause most of the time if you're called, you'll get called for the weekends.

To increase your chance of getting called (over other freelancers) you'll want to be as friendly as possible...help everyone out with cleaning and stock and junk and keep your numbers up. If they like you a lot sometimes you will get calls directly from the permanent staff-if they are sick or have to call in at last minute or something.

Thanks girl, that was very helpful. I appreciate it!
One last question- do people get paid for Training? What if I (a freelancer) wanted to train- without pay. How do you think that will fly?
And I hear you on having a back-up job. I am actually a stay at home mom now, and we are living under my husbands income. So I would like to work part-time, doing something I love, and make ends meet
smiles.gif

giz2000

I don't think that they would allow a freelancer to attend Basic...you are pretty much on your own...seriously, you'll be fine!!
thmbup.gif

I am also a SAHM/college student and freelance usually on Saturdays only...keeps me in the loop!

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight

So very true...plus, if they like you, they will offer you permanent positions...you might be able to get yourself a 10 or 15 hour position (I would, but I went back to school, so that's a no-can-do for me right now).

smellyocheese

My training was for 6 boring days. We were given a training manual that consists of the products description. They gave us steps on how to serve the customers.... and we had a test on that. lol. as well as product knowledge. then we had role playing.... all in all, take the courtesy to learn things on your own and from others. you'll get more valuable knowledge.

calbear

See I was just the opposite. I had a weekend job so I could never work on the weekends but I was ALWAYS available when someone called in. SO for the first two months I didn't get much but when they realized that I was free at anytime during the week and could be there in a moments notice (the running joke was that I would get up in the morning and dress in black with some fierce makeup just to do my laundry in case someone called) and would be willing to travel to any counter - I got loads of work. I did 40 hours a week (and because they weren't 8 hour shifts, I was working 7 days a week some weeks) for months.

It also helped me to learn everything at a slower pace and get to know everyone and learn the tricks. So when the store had an opening I was first in line.