Traveling with a traincase, yay or nay?

inesma

Ok girls, I'm traveling to Argentina for 14 loooong winter days and was wondering if it's convenient to travel with a traincase or not. Will the airlines take it as a carry-on?, will it be too heavy?. Help please.

lara

If you're bringing it as carry-on, yay.
If you're checking it, absolutely nay.

Train cases look exactly like video/photographic equipment cases. Either it gets stolen because they think it contains sellable equipment or because the make-up will make a good present for the wife. If you check it on, remove anything remotely sharp or else the entire case will be confiscated and, you guessed it, someone's wife gets a nice present.

Voice of experience speaking here, I've had $2000+ in make-up stolen on a Qantas flight and never got any compensation for it. :roll:

Edited because I can't spell today.

SoHeartc0rex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
If you're bringing it as carry-on, yay.
If you're checking it, absolutely nay.

Train cases look exactly like video/photographic equipment cases. Either it gets stolen because they think it containssellable eqipment or because the make-up will make a good present for the wife. If you check it on, remove anything remotely sharp or else the entire case will be confiscated and, you guessed it, someone's wife gets a nice present.

Voice of experience before, I've had $2000+ in make-up stolen on a Qantas flight and never got any compensation for it. :roll:

That's horrible, I think I would have cried for DAYS if I lost mine.
weeping.gif

Oops, I thanked you by accident. Haha
rofl.gif

YvetteJeannine

Well, if it's one of those huge wheel type cases...I'd say no. If it's like mine (a basic traincase w/ a carry-handle) then absolutely!!! Wow, I never thought about the stuff Lara said before, but it makes perfect sense. I cannot believe she wasn't compensated for the case being stolen...add to the fact that it was prob. her professional stuff...and that's a horrible situation
ssad.gif
....M/U is literally an M/U artist's LIVING!!!!!!

I'm going on a cruise to the Carribean w/ my two sisters and niece in three days, and I'm surely going to bring MY case!!!!! My oldest sister and her daughter are rooming together, and me and Yvonne, my other sis are rooming together, and I'm sure I'll want to do her m/u, and my niece Samantha's m/u (she's thirteen). I just want to make sure to be *really* careful w/ it, as I've spent A LOT of $$$$ on MAC in the past few months!!! I'd suggest the same to anyone traveling w/ their traincases.....DON'T LET IT OUT OF YOUR SITE....Just like Lara says; there's a lot of shady people out there (yes, even people that aren't 'supposed' to be shady, like police, security, etc.) and I don't doubt for a second that even the people that are supposed to be 'protecting' us will take from us. Treat it just as you would medication...esp. on a flight...don't 'check' it. Carry it on.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJeannine
I cannot believe she wasn't compensated for the case being stolen...add to the fact that it was prob. her professional stuff...and that's a horrible situation
ssad.gif
....M/U is literally an M/U artist's LIVING!!!!!!

Yeah, it was my working kit. I supplied them with an itemised price list of my kit (I keep a master list of every job I go to - check everything inbound and check everything outbound, that way nothing can go missing), and the rep told me that I could replace everything for approximately $250 and that I was overstating my costs. They offered me a free one-way flight as compensation. :roll:

inesma

Thanks to all for the replies.I'll contact the airline since all of them have a different policy, specially with the weight.

AriannaErin

Aside from having the check it or anything like that, I dont know if it's really worth it to bring an entire traincase.

I'm going to Europe for 3 weeks and plan on just taking the essentials plus a few non LE/DC items that can be easily replaced if they get lost/stolen/broken, what have you. I already lost my petit four l/g at the bar the other night and wish I hadn't brought somethign LE with me :S

Shimmer

Argh. I'm going to Hawaii for a little over a month in October. I hadn't thought about this. I'll freaking lose it if I lose my case.
oh.gif

inlucesco

I wouldn't take your entire collection with you, especially if it's only a couple weeks. When I went to Hawaii I took my Ornamentalism eyeshadow palette and foundation/mascara/eyeliner/blush/lipglosses, and it suited me fine - we were much too busy for me to fool with my entire collection of makeup anyway.
smiles.gif
Carry it on with you, as others have said.

Bec688

Holy Crap. Now I am really scared to travel with my traincase
ssad.gif
I am going to Canada at the end of the year for a few months, and that's a long flight, over 20 hrs and I know that I have to get a connecting flight as well and I am scared of losing my traincase in the transition. I was hoping to be able to carry it on with me and have it under my seat, but I'm not sure if a traincase would be classed as something too big for carry on luggage.

Lara - you poor thing, I would die if I lost my kit through the airlines, they are a pain to deal with when you lose things. $250 to replace everything!? That's crazy...typical though, they won't spend money unless they absolutely need to...cheapskates.

Shawna

I got a soft makeup case from make up for ever and I use it to travel. It has enough room for brushes, a couple of quads, blush, foundation, all the stuff I need really, and it has handles and carries like a purse. It zips shut and I use it all the time when I go away. Because it is small enough, I keep it with me, and then I never have to worry about it getting crushed or stolen. Maybe one of MACs soft sacs would do the same job?

Pure Life

Like everyone else said, take it as a carry on. I'm leaving for a cruise in a couple days, and I'm not letting my case out of my sight on the plane.

d_flawless

i would personally just never bring a traincase with me because aside from airline issues, what about leaving it in the hotel? i know that most traincases lock but still...plus, as ariannaerin mentions, do you need all your make up for 2 weeks?

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlucesco
I wouldn't take your entire collection with you, especially if it's only a couple weeks. When I went to Hawaii I took my Ornamentalism eyeshadow palette and foundation/mascara/eyeliner/blush/lipglosses, and it suited me fine - we were much too busy for me to fool with my entire collection of makeup anyway.
smiles.gif
Carry it on with you, as others have said.

I'm not going for a couple of weeks...it's more like five.
smiles.gif

And, I doubt I'll need much because I'm not really going on 'vacation' as much as I am going to do some work.
smiles.gif
(My brother needs someone to watch his little munchkin, and so...I'm getting a trip to HI out of the deal...) I'm not doing the 'tourist' thing.
smiles.gif

Thank you for the advice!
smiles.gif