Travelling around London

as_cute_as_pie

im off to london for a week and wanna travel around alot (preferably by bus) probably travelling from around hampstead to places like covent garden, oxford st to kensington and i wanna go to the spitalfields market
yes.gif
and was wondering about prices etc
i know theres some londoners on here who may be able to help me!
smiles.gif

browneyedbaby

^^ I prefer the tube to the bus although I know some people hate it. It's easier than the bus if you're not used to London.

seabird

i'd definitely use the tube over the bus. it's a lot quicker to get around and easier to find your way around than on a bus. i'd get an oyster card too.

as_cute_as_pie

the only reasons im quite wary of the tubes is.. god this sounds so silly but i have a MAJOR major phobia of rats and mice and have heard they lurk around the tracks lol
smiles.gif

V15U4L_3RR0R

I don't think i've ever seen a rat wondering about on the tracks when I've bummed around on the tube. It is a million times quicker and easier to London on the tube anyway.

browneyedbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_cute_as_pie
the only reasons im quite wary of the tubes is.. god this sounds so silly but i have a MAJOR major phobia of rats and mice and have heard they lurk around the tracks lol
smiles.gif

Aww don't worry, really. I've only ever seen one, and then you had to be looking pretty darn had to see it. I just happened to be in the middle of a good ol' stare lol. You'd be fine honest.

Amymo

I think you now need an Oyster card to get the travelcard, if so they are £2 to buy and have £10 loaded onto the card already to travel.

When I did a seven dayer the pass was about £25, probably be about £30 now. Definately take the tube, easier, quicker and a better view of London life. Hope you have a fab time!

k.a.t

Agree with everyone else about the tube. You might never actually get your destination if you take the bus LOL.

AmberLilith

You can get daily travelcards, I paid about £7 last week for one for all zones, bus-tube-train.
I think the tube's the easiest option. Quickest too.
The bus rides i did take were annoying -longer, packed with people, no seats. Although at some times of day the same can be said about tubes too -be wary of rush hour tubes if you're claustrophobic.

A useful map: http://jupejp.com
Shows the tube routes over the real map.

I'm also from the North East! I went to visit a friend in London last week. If you haven't heard of the megabus for travelling down, it's really cheap -we paid £16 each from Middlesbrough to London Victoria return.

as_cute_as_pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLilith
You can get daily travelcards, I paid about £7 last week for one for all zones, bus-tube-train.
I think the tube's the easiest option. Quickest too.
The bus rides i did take were annoying -longer, packed with people, no seats. Although at some times of day the same can be said about tubes too -be wary of rush hour tubes if you're claustrophobic.

A useful map: http://jupejp.com
Shows the tube routes over the real map.

I'm also from the North East! I went to visit a friend in London last week. If you haven't heard of the megabus for travelling down, it's really cheap -we paid £16 each from Middlesbrough to London Victoria return.

hey yeah my friend told me about it though 6 hours on a bus is too long! come to think of it 6 MINUTES is too long lol
i get really agitated on buses... getting the train but since im going quite las minute its costing £34.50 return.. £11.50 going and £23 coming back as there was no cheaper!
smiles.gif

AmberLilith

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_cute_as_pie
hey yeah my friend told me about it though 6 hours on a bus is too long! come to think of it 6 MINUTES is too long lol
i get really agitated on buses... getting the train but since im going quite las minute its costing £34.50 return.. £11.50 going and £23 coming back as there was no cheaper!
smiles.gif

Lol -I know, buses aren't great...

Really good train deal, well done!! I'm impressed, last time i got trains i spent about £70

as_cute_as_pie

im struggling to find a map of the zones.. ive found a 7day travelcard on the oyster website but it asks which zones i will travelling on?
since im going alone (staying with a friend but shes at work lol) nd i will be alone most of the time i need to know about it dont wanna get caught cos i wouldn't know what to say hah

found it!
last question tho heh if i get a 7 day travelcard do i also need a oyster card?