trying out mineral foundation?

shellyky

OK, im 27 and my skin is in it's remission of acne as a teen lol but i still have red dots and enlarged pores, etc so i have to wear foundation. I really dont care for it because it takes SO LONG for me to apply it, therefore i do not wear makeup but a coule times a week... i wish it wasnt such a process because i really do want to wear it daily. So i was thinking it looks pretty fast to apply this mineral foundation but really how well does it cover being that it's just powder? i also saw a howto on here that it's much more than just putting powder on your face, it involves setting it with another certain powder so it wont rub off? what all do i really need to give it a shot?

i'd like to give it a try but i dont really know where to start. (i also dont want to invest a fortune in it since i've already invested fortune in mac lol)...We have a bare escentuals store here nearby, do they give free samples? or should i just buy some online at these random mineral places for dirt cheap, or go to walmart and try some of the basic brands versions.

any insight is appreciated
smiles.gif

gildedangel

I find that most mineral makeup in general does not cover well, it is a sheer coverage which you may not like (i have residual redness from acne as well). Mineral powders for me tend to settle into my pores unless I have liquid foundation under it, and I don't have big pores! I wouldn't recommend mineral makeup for you. You could try a powder foundation for quicker application though.

shellyky

hello fellow nc15 redhead LOL
smiles.gif

ok thanks for the info! I might give it a shot if i can pick up a sample somewhere and see what it's all about, otherwise i might try to see what the mac moistureblend is all about--that also seems faster than liquid and brush.

staceb1990

You could always try Everyday Minerals. They give out a really great free sample package, you just have to pay for shipping, and their foundations have different levels of coverage.

I'm another NC/NW15er (and sometimes lighter) and I seem to have similar skin as yours as far as what I need covered. I've pretty much cleared up my skin, and now it's just acne scars that are in the process of healing. I've been rotating two foundations lately. The first one is the L'oreal Bare Naturale Foundation and that's been working out great. You just have to invest in a good buffing brush, because the more you buff the makes all the difference with mineral foundation.

I've also been using the Studio Sculpt foundation lately with a clean wet wedge sponge, and I can't believe how quick and easy it is to apply! I just set it with powder after and I'm good to go. So maybe try that out!

smiles.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyky
OK, im 27 and my skin is in it's remission of acne as a teen lol but i still have red dots and enlarged pores, etc so i have to wear foundation. I really dont care for it because it takes SO LONG for me to apply it, therefore i do not wear makeup but a coule times a week... i wish it wasnt such a process because i really do want to wear it daily. So i was thinking it looks pretty fast to apply this mineral foundation but really how well does it cover being that it's just powder? i also saw a howto on here that it's much more than just putting powder on your face, it involves setting it with another certain powder so it wont rub off? what all do i really need to give it a shot?

i'd like to give it a try but i dont really know where to start. (i also dont want to invest a fortune in it since i've already invested fortune in mac lol)...We have a bare escentuals store here nearby, do they give free samples? or should i just buy some online at these random mineral places for dirt cheap, or go to walmart and try some of the basic brands versions.

any insight is appreciated
smiles.gif

YMMV, of course, but I love mineral foundation!
I have the use of only one hand, and I find mineral powder So much easier and quicker than liquid foundation; you just sweep it on.
Yeah, it's applied differently than setting powder is.
You'll need a special flat-bottomed brush to apply mineral powder foundation, but those are easy to find, and easy to use.
I apply my mineral foundation to clean skin that is bare except for sunscreen under the eyes, and I just use ordinary setting powder over it.
All that said, maybe I should add that I have pretty good skin; all I really need is some evening out in some areas and concealment of a few old [faded and flat] acne scars.
I love Pure Luxe Cosmetics.
They sell very inexpensive samples of practically *everything!*
Their "Babyface" is a terrfic match for my NW15 skin.
It's my go-to foundation, in fact.

shellyky

thank you i'll check that out! for $4, i'll give it a shot!

the studio sculpt is what im currently using maybe i just need to get a better grip on how to apply it not so maticulously lol i have not tried it w/ damp sponge yet however, ive read many times to try that out w/ the sculpt.

ladyJ

I used to use everyday minerals. Like the previous poster said, they have a great deal on samples. You should def. just try them out. I think their intensive formula gives the best coverage. I too recommend using a flat top kabuki for applying mineral make up. It gives you the most coverage.

I currently use MUFE mat velvet and it is great! I have a lot of acne red marks and scarring and it covers really well. I use the MAC 109 brush to apply it. You can get a sample of it at sephora. I got a sample and it lasted me about a week. A little went a long way lolz.

staceb1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyky
thank you i'll check that out! for $4, i'll give it a shot!

the studio sculpt is what im currently using maybe i just need to get a better grip on how to apply it not so maticulously lol i have not tried it w/ damp sponge yet however, ive read many times to try that out w/ the sculpt.

That's my absolute favorite way to apply it, and it takes literally two minutes! I've tried all of my brushes, and the sponge just applies it quickest and gives the best, most natural finish. I do it exactly how MakeupByTiffany does it in this video YouTube - Part 1: Complete Bridal Makeup

I hope this helps! I mean, you might as well try it before you spend lots of money on another foundation
smiles.gif

Shimmery

I keep trying out mineral makeup on in the store, but never buy it. I really need to just buy at least one compact. Oh wait, I used minderal eyeshadows for years, just not for foundation.