turqouise dress

jennzy

hey girlies!
ok, so i need some advice.. i have formal coming up. in april. and i'm home (toronto)for reading week and plan on hittingup mac to buy some new pan shadows. hence i'm asking now.

my dress is turqouise and my shoes are silver. i need recommendation on the eye colour combinations. if you have pics that'd he lp me out even more
thanks!
xoxo

Amaranth

I would either try to do a silver smoky eye to tie in the shoes, or a purple smoky eye. Purple looks amazing with turquoise. The silver smoky eye may be a bit better because it'll finish off the look (silver on the face, silver on your feet; allows the pretty colour of your dress to stand out) without adding even more colour. Then just keep your lips neutral and pale. If you need suggestions on how to achieve either look, just say so and I'll try to help you out.

frocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl about town
i would go with smoky silver/black eyes x

I agree.
yes.gif

jennzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth
I would either try to do a silver smoky eye to tie in the shoes, or a purple smoky eye. Purple looks amazing with turquoise. The silver smoky eye may be a bit better because it'll finish off the look (silver on the face, silver on your feet; allows the pretty colour of your dress to stand out) without adding even more colour. Then just keep your lips neutral and pale. If you need suggestions on how to achieve either look, just say so and I'll try to help you out.

awesome! thanks!!! what would be a good silver to do silver smokey with? i dont own any s ilver, but i own knightly divine so instead of using black i can use that with the silver. and as for purple smokey eye, how would i achieve that? ive only done brown or black smokey eyes...
if you have any pics of either look that'd be fantastic!! as for the lips, im thinking like pink i have lovloren that i'm in love with!!!!

anshu7

ummm on the top of my head i am thinking silver/grey with turqoise in the crease..how does tht sound? u cud go for pinks as well.

jennzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu7
ummm on the top of my head i am thinking silver/grey with turqoise in the crease..how does tht sound? u cud go for pinks as well.

i did pinky/purple look last year for both my day and formal lol

i'm definately going to look into the silvery grey with hint of turqouise...
any idea how i can make the turqouise pop from the silver smokey??

Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennzy
awesome! thanks!!! what would be a good silver to do silver smokey with? i dont own any s ilver, but i own knightly divine so instead of using black i can use that with the silver. and as for purple smokey eye, how would i achieve that? ive only done brown or black smokey eyes...
if you have any pics of either look that'd be fantastic!! as for the lips, im thinking like pink i have lovloren that i'm in love with!!!!

No prob! I like using Silver Fog pigment when I do silver smoky eye looks, but I believe it's a Pro colour so I'm not sure if you'll be able to get it. If you can, it looks soooo pretty, it's a very light, almost white silver. If you can't get it, Electra eyeshadow would also work fine. Ok, so here is my quick, pictureless, mini-tutorial for a silver smoky eye using Knight Divine. This is how *I* do it anyway, I'm not sure if anyone else does it this way, but I assure you it works.

When I do smoky eye looks, (after putting on an eyeshadow base) I like to start off my rimming my entire eye (both waterline and the outer part) with a black eyeliner. Then I use either a sponge brush or the 219 pencil brush to smudge the outer edges. Especially on the top eyelid, really smudge it so there are basically no edges. Then I take a black eyeshadow (I like to use Carbon, but you can also use Black Tied for something sparklier...and easier to blend) and use the 219 brush again to both set the liner and further smudge it. At this stage I would also take a tiny, tiny bit of Carbon and apply it to the outer V using a blending brush like the 217, 224, or 223 (my fave!). Then using a shader brush like the 239 (or you may need a smaller shader, depending on the size of your eyes) apply the Knight Divine both over the Carbon in the outer V and bring it into the crease. To get it extra-blendy looking, I'd take a blending brush (make sure there's no eyeshadow stuck to it) and soften all the edges of the Knight Divine. Then using the shader brush, apply the lightest silver colour to the eyelid part. You should then intensify and colours that need it; I find I often need to go back over the crease colour again after I do the eyelid...I get a little shadow-happy. Then take whatever highlight colour you'd like to use (since you're going with a metallic look, I'd probably stick to something matte or satin, but it's completely up to you...I just find having a matte highlighter emphasizes the metallic-ness of the rest of the eyeshadow) and apply it with a blending brush. This will further soften the edges of the eyeshadow, and if you made a mistake and brought the Knight Divine up too high, you can tone it down a bit by blending a little more highlighter into it. That's pretty much it...you can play with it and make little adjustments once it's done. I always tend to pack on even more Carbon at the outer V for a little extra drama, and you may want to put some Knight Divine over the smudged eyeliner to make it look even smokier. Have fun with it!

As for the purple smoky eye, I would do the exact same thing, except using a purple where you would have used the Knight Divine. Something like Nocturnelle makes an awesome smoky eye, and you can even keep the same other eyeshadow colours and placement so you can have like, a silver AND purple smoky eye thing going on. If you need to, you can use a coloured base right under where you'd put the purple. Nice Vice Paint Pot from the Fafi Collection is a great base for purples, and you can really build it up. I'd put it only where the purple is going to be going though, so that the silver really contrasts with the purple.

HTH!! Good luck! If you have any more questions just ask. I don't really have pictures of either, but if you check out my most recent FOTD, which should still be up on the first page of the FOTD board, you should see something similar to the silver one. The colours aren't the same, and I have no eye crease so I'm not a fantastic model, but you can at least see what it looks like when you put your eyeliner on FIRST...which some people find kinda odd.

jennzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth
No prob! I like using Silver Fog pigment when I do silver smoky eye looks, but I believe it's a Pro colour so I'm not sure if you'll be able to get it. If you can, it looks soooo pretty, it's a very light, almost white silver. If you can't get it, Electra eyeshadow would also work fine. Ok, so here is my quick, pictureless, mini-tutorial for a silver smoky eye using Knight Divine. This is how *I* do it anyway, I'm not sure if anyone else does it this way, but I assure you it works.

When I do smoky eye looks, (after putting on an eyeshadow base) I like to start off my rimming my entire eye (both waterline and the outer part) with a black eyeliner. Then I use either a sponge brush or the 219 pencil brush to smudge the outer edges. Especially on the top eyelid, really smudge it so there are basically no edges. Then I take a black eyeshadow (I like to use Carbon, but you can also use Black Tied for something sparklier...and easier to blend) and use the 219 brush again to both set the liner and further smudge it. At this stage I would also take a tiny, tiny bit of Carbon and apply it to the outer V using a blending brush like the 217, 224, or 223 (my fave!). Then using a shader brush like the 239 (or you may need a smaller shader, depending on the size of your eyes) apply the Knight Divine both over the Carbon in the outer V and bring it into the crease. To get it extra-blendy looking, I'd take a blending brush (make sure there's no eyeshadow stuck to it) and soften all the edges of the Knight Divine. Then using the shader brush, apply the lightest silver colour to the eyelid part. You should then intensify and colours that need it; I find I often need to go back over the crease colour again after I do the eyelid...I get a little shadow-happy. Then take whatever highlight colour you'd like to use (since you're going with a metallic look, I'd probably stick to something matte or satin, but it's completely up to you...I just find having a matte highlighter emphasizes the metallic-ness of the rest of the eyeshadow) and apply it with a blending brush. This will further soften the edges of the eyeshadow, and if you made a mistake and brought the Knight Divine up too high, you can tone it down a bit by blending a little more highlighter into it. That's pretty much it...you can play with it and make little adjustments once it's done. I always tend to pack on even more Carbon at the outer V for a little extra drama, and you may want to put some Knight Divine over the smudged eyeliner to make it look even smokier. Have fun with it!

As for the purple smoky eye, I would do the exact same thing, except using a purple where you would have used the Knight Divine. Something like Nocturnelle makes an awesome smoky eye, and you can even keep the same other eyeshadow colours and placement so you can have like, a silver AND purple smoky eye thing going on. If you need to, you can use a coloured base right under where you'd put the purple. Nice Vice Paint Pot from the Fafi Collection is a great base for purples, and you can really build it up. I'd put it only where the purple is going to be going though, so that the silver really contrasts with the purple.

HTH!! Good luck! If you have any more questions just ask. I don't really have pictures of either, but if you check out my most recent FOTD, which should still be up on the first page of the FOTD board, you should see something similar to the silver one. The colours aren't the same, and I have no eye crease so I'm not a fantastic model, but you can at least see what it looks like when you put your eyeliner on FIRST...which some people find kinda odd.

hey!!! thanks so much! believe it or not, i went shopping... bought 5 new eye shadows (i really shouldn't have... i don't wear make up often: twice a week the most!!!)
anyways i purchased electra and black tied i'm excited to play with the make up when i get back to school!!! hehe!

Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennzy
hey!!! thanks so much! believe it or not, i went shopping... bought 5 new eye shadows (i really shouldn't have... i don't wear make up often: twice a week the most!!!)
anyways i purchased electra and black tied i'm excited to play with the make up when i get back to school!!! hehe!

Yay! Sweet, let me know how it goes!

L281173

A gold, turqoise, and purple eyeshadow combination would be gorgeous with a turquoise dress. An orangey lipstick would be gorgeous top off with a touch of gloss on top. I was in a wedding a few years ago and I wore the color turquoise with an orange, black, turquoise, and beige eyeshadow combination. It was beautiful. Turquoise and orange are one of my favorite color combinations.