• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Tutorial Contest WINNER (September 2007) - "Pompous Delft"

magi

I am back from holiday and did a new tutorial yesterday. I some weeks made this Look some weeks ago and it didn´t want to get out of my mind. It is so simple, but looks gorgeous in my opinion. Teals are my favorites and I wanted to share it with you.

There are some steps, that you don´t need to make without loss. For exsample the "Sea Me" shadestick in the corner. It didn´t enhanced the result. Or you can use "Big T" only or better - "Pompous Blue" only. Ir even another shade, a purple maybe. The essence of this look is the "Carbon" eye shadow and a good base for a deep look.

So what do you need ca.:

tut4_01.jpg

Foundation, Powder etc. however you prefer.
A not too bright, bit sheer blush and maybe a powder for glow. "Lightscapade" should be very nice too.
One base matching the eyeshadow color you use. I chose "Delft" paintpot. It´s easier to apply than "Sea Me".
A bright, mid-dark color - I took teal shades: "Big T" & "Pompous Blue"
And really important: a dark liner / pencil. For a smokey look a dark frame is a must have...

So let´s start with a clean and moisturized face. I started with eyes instead of foundation, as the dark shades make dirt below the eyes. If you prefer starting with make up, please apply a lot of face powder just below the eyes, so it can catch falling eye shadow powder.

tut4_02.jpg

So let´s base now. I don´t need any other base under paints and paint pots. If they are not good enough on your lid, please apply you favorite transparent base before. I took "Delft" paintpot only and applied it with a BENEFIT flat and small synthetic brush. I have seen, some gals use the 194 concealer brush by MAC for such a step too.

tut4_03.jpg

Start with the inner corner and apply the paint along the lash line. Then fill the main area of your lid. The most difficult step is to make a quite exsact border, a shape, that supports you own eye-brow-line. The easiest, to make this line clean and straight, is to apply from OUTER TO INNER corner of your eyes and to use your bone like a ruler.

tut4_04.jpg

The flash light detects every mark. That´s not too bad. If the lighter areas are not too extreme, you don´t need to care. The eye shadow will hide it. But if you feel more comfortable, give the paint some time to dry and apply a second layer. A good advice: to soften the harsh line, use the brush and go over the line some times.

But to soften it much more - and I made the expierence, that this is quite necessary to avoid, that the border shimmers through the blended teal eye shadow - we take some "Bare Canvas" Paint and blend it with the first millimeter of "Delft". Also our highlighter will need a base, so we apply the paint up to the brows. For this step you can use your finger. For the blending take the same brush that you used for "Delft".

tut4_05.jpg

It can be helpful, if you strech your skin a bit. The paints are easier to blend then. Sway the brush with small movements and don´t let the first paint wait to long. It becomes very hard to blend then.

tut4_06.jpg

I made a try: I applied some "Sea me" Shadestick into the inner corner - but it didn´t change the result very much, so you can leave it if you want. I just wanted to kepp this complete :-D

tut4_07.jpg

Next step are the powder eye shadows. For 2/3 of the lid from inner corner over the middle I used "Big T" with a 213 brush. Apply it over the whole "Delft"-area.

tut4_08.jpg

With the same brush I applied "Pompous Blue" in the outer 1/3 of the lid. The colors are very, very similar, especially on this base they look near the same. However, I like "PB" more. :-D If you use on of them alone for this look, it should not look quite the same way int he end.

tut4_09.jpg

With my flat daVinci brush, I made a not to thick line on the lower lid.

tut4_10.jpg

So now the essence of this look. The "Carbon" e/s. You can use "Black Tied" or other dark shades like "Shadowy Lady" or "Femme Noir" too, depending on the basic shade you take, but I think, no eye shadow will look so shadowy like the darkest and cleanest black. I used a round brush for this step. First make the shape and go along the gone or use your crease for orientation. I apply it just ABOVE the visible line of the crease. And than make some more layers. Make it as thick as you think it will suit you. My advice: start with the half width of your iris in the outer corner (including blending) and ca. a 1/3 of the iris in the highest point (usually ca. above your pupil) and make it thinner the more you go into the inner corner. If your eyes are quite narrow to each other, don´t apply "Carbon" to wide into the middle.

tut4_11.jpg

I chose a discreet highlighter for me, as very shimmery shades don´t suit me and I think the smokey look has to work for itself :-D I made it with "Vanilla" just below the brow. Hor blendling the harsh line and to connect highlighter with colors I took "Brule" - this is exsactly my skin tone. I use the 275 for this always. It´s quite fluffy because of the diagonal cut and its hair are quite robust, so youcan work very exsactle. Apply "Brule" ca. 1mm over the border to the teal to make it softer :-D

tut4_12.jpg

Now a nice, not to thick black line - I used "BlackTrack" with the 209. For both waterlines I used a graphite colored khol by agnés b. Black is fine too, if you prefer. Mascara finalizes the eye work :-D

tut4_13.jpg

Now you can brush the dust under your eye away. Now I did my face - with mineral foundation and silk powder. That´s enough for me. I became bit tanned in holidays, so it is a bit too light for me now :)

tut4_14.jpg

tut4_15.jpg

Now the cheeks. I used a soft pink with blue undertone: "Coygirl". My highlighter for the cheeks was "Shy Angel" blush, that I applied at the cheekbones.

tut4_16.jpg

Brows and lips - the best choice is, to make the lips as nude as possible. For such a dark, smokey look it´s a MUST. I used C-THRU

tut4_17.jpg

And this is the result. I love the look... I hope you like it too and it´s easy enough to to follow for you :-D

tut4_19.jpg

tut4_20.jpg

tut4_18.jpg

tut4_21.jpg

melliquor

Re: "Pompous Delft" - so simple, but so effective - Tutorial

Beautiful. You have convinced me that I definately need PB. Thanks for tut.

Bianca

I really love this look, stunning! And great tutorial of course!

MACATTAK

Soo pretty! I love the look!

kattpl

love it and tutorial!!

Kath

makeba

Thanks for posting this tut
cheerleader.gif
. I was having a problem with blues until i saw this. I had been looking for a deep blue eye look for awhile and this is it. Now i must get the goodies! One good reason to visit the MAC store
graucho.gif

j_absinthe

You always do an awesome smoky eye.

Sophia84

One of the BEST smokey eyes tuts I've ever seen and the best smokey look ever!! Just WOW!!

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!

flowerhead

Looks great, the teal pops your eyes and the black makes them smoulder.

doniad101

What an awesome tutorial! Thanks so much for posting! Everything is very clear and its so helpful! Thanks again for posting!

cheerleader.gif

dmenchi

c-thru looks so pinkish on you ...that's how wonderstruck looks on me....I love your look and appreciate that you take the time for this detailed describtions ! Thanx
smiles.gif

astronaut

Beautiful! I wish I had pompous blue
ssad.gif

mjacqueline

Aw thats so nice, I wish I bought Pompous Blue!!!

veilchen

Your eyes look amazing, great tutorial!