Uban Decay e/s Kicks Macs Big Old Butt lol

BBJay

I love how smooth the UD shadows are.
Urban Decay makes a nice variety of shades.
They have a collection of matte shadows and pretty much all of them are very wearable. Electric, Chronic, Puple Haze, and Narcotic are the only bright colors from their matte collection.

From their regular eyeshadows, Baked, Half baked, Twice baked, Blunt,Blaze, Jones, Roach, X, Stray Dog,Toasted, Chopper, Sin and Sellout look very nice.

Then there is also their Deluxe line of shadows which comes in really fun packaging. Honey, Scratch, Shag, and Underground are nice. The UD Deluxe shadow box comes with all 4 of those shades plus 5 of the other Deluxe shadows in brighter colors, and it pairs really well with the shadows from the Book of Shadows.

For little pops of color, the UD 24/7 liner pencils are great. You can get a travel set of 5 for a very reasonable price and they stay on really well. HTH

Strawberrymold

I think (as with any brand) there are high points and low points. I have a pretty wide range of brands in my kit/stash, so seeing as I have often eaten hotdogs for a week in order to purchase a summer collection, I feel I am qualified to comment. MAC is awesome. MAC has some great products that I love. MAC also has some products that bite a big one. Urban Decay has amazing shadows and liner + primer potion? um holla! But they also have quite a few products that suck too. I am the biggest damn MUFE fan in the world, yet for all the love I still can't get down with the star powders (MAC pigments are just so much better). Anyhow, there is good and bad in every brand. Being open to all just ensures you get the best of all worlds!

Visual Edge

I usually stay away from mac all together when I'm looking for shadows as I just don't like the way their e/s apply. I agree that the hype surrounding Mac is kind of ridiculous and no girl should base their collection around a single make-up line. I've actually found that a lot of mac products break me out (msfs give me horrible reactions unfortunately) but I like their brushes, lipsticks and lipglasses.

I find that the lines I like most are often less talked about. Smashbox, the balm, too faced, MUFE and cargo make some of my favorite products but they don't get nearly as much attention as mac does. It's a shame because they have a lot of great products that in my opinion, are far better than the mac alternatives.

For eyeshadows, I do often go with UD because their shadows blend beautifully and they have such vibrant choices! I love the packaging for their loose pigment and it applies beautifully. If you like pops of color paired with more neutral colors, try the get baked palette!

I think your right about ud target audience being teenagers! Pot-smoking alternative teens at that- they have product names like chronic, big fatty, get baked, and blunt. Hehe, they have such silly names~

MissResha

i adore UD shadows. most of them are vegan. and you can use them all wet or dry. and pigmentation is ridiculous (in a good way)

and i love SOME MAC shadows. i really like the matte2 formulas, they are very pigmented. but overall, i think they're both excellent cosmetic lines.

i wish the glitter fall out in the UD shadows wasn't such an issue. that midnight cowboy is a gorgeous color but omg the glitter falls everywhere. its so gross LOL

swaly

I think MAC has had a solid history of releasing really unique colors and formulations, and I think the appeal is so universal because it really does cater to multiple demographics, not just one. UD's graffiti-themed packaging and "hardcore"/street-smart names kind of piss me off and alienate me, even as a younger consumer (I'm 22). I think they have far less variety and less imagination when it comes to inventive color combinations. Certainly, MAC has its own crafty ploys and gimmicks––selling Hello Kitty lipglass for twice as much because of a little dangly thing on it, for instance––but overall it's much more toned-down. I'm rather bothered by all the skull-and-crossbones and the weird mesh on UD palettes...it's not pragmatic, very hard to clean...it's there to appeal to the Urban Outfitters set and I'd really rather not be seen with an item like that!

Having said that, my 9-color UD palette (the purple plush/metal mesh one) is a mainstay in my makeup bag because all 9 colors are so dependably rich and smooth. In comparison, MAC eyeshadows are always a gamble. Out of the 8 colors in my two HK palettes, two are more or less unusable because they are SO chalky and unpigmented. I've had many chalky eyeshadows from MAC. I've never had a UD eyeshadow that sucked.