UK PEOPLE - Where can we buy rubbing/isopropyl alcohol from?

Millgrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
i only use it to remove the glue from the pots when i depot my eyeshadows. I never use it anywhere by my eyes...I just use it for depotting.

Isn't it the same thing alcohol? i am getting really confused!

White spirit isn't a spirit (an alcohol) at all. It's a hydrocarbon mixture which can vary from batch to batch and manufacturer to manufacturer (that's why it's cheap). The name white spirit is just a common-use name, it doesn't refer to what it contains.

It will be fine for taking the glue of pans etc. Just don't use it for pressing pigments, or cleaning utensils or pans you are going to re-fill (unless you cleanse them off with something else afterwards). For those sorts of jobs use Surgical Spirit (if you don't mind the smell) or try and get iso propyl alcohol (what they use on the Mac counters).

White Spirit isn't really dangerous or anything like that. The most likely problem people experience is skin irritation if they use it much - redness, dryness, or contact dermatitis from skin contact. So as long as you wash your hands thoroughly after use or wear those disposeable latex gloves, and you just use it for cleaning off glue and not for anything that you will use on your skin later, you should have no problems.

Does this help any?

xx

lescooper

Yes you can get it from BOOTS but its called Surgical Spirit, I asked my Boots and was unsure 3 minutes after getting home he called me and said that Surgical Spirit was the same and that he had some on the shelf (Last bottle)

hope it helps

deb40

rubbing alcohol is the american term
surgical spirit is the english term
isopropyl is the chemical term

white spirit is something completely different

Danny34

White Spirit is used to clean paint brushes etc. Surgical Spirit is used to run on the skin to help prevent bedsores, Isopropyl Alcohol is used as a anti-bacterial wipe before injections etc. For goodness sake don't go rubbing White Spirit on your skin.

Danny34

White Spirit is used to clean paint brushes etc. Surgical Spirit is used to run on the skin to help prevent bedsores, Isopropyl Alcohol is used as a anti-bacterial wipe before injections etc. For goodness sake don't go rubbing White Spirit on your skin.

Droog

Surgical spirit in Boots is not pure Isopropyl - it contains castor oil. This might be good for your skin, but is not helpful when preparing motorbike bodywork for painting.

Latest posts