Ummmm, so yeah . . .

lipshock

I've been pretty mum's the word about this (for fear of a negative result) but I figured what the hell, at least the lovely ladies at Specktra deserve to know.

Last month, I finally took the plunge and applied to MAC about a month ago. I hear the DC/MD/VA region is one the hardest to get hired into (especially without previous freelance work with MAC) and all those horror stories about Homa I read on here, I literally was like "there's no way." But with the encouragement of my boyfriend and my mother and some MAC artists that I knew, I decided I might as well. It won't kill me. And if I don't get hired, at least I'll know what the experience was like.

So, I went through the interview process (the two verbals and the demo) which only took a week for me, and I was literally a bucket of nerves until the very next day after my demo I was told by Homa (oh yes, the infamous Homa) that was I being hired by MAC. The catch? No part-time positions were available, only full time. Being a full-time student I couldn't risk taking on so much especially with this being my last year at university and knowing I'd be taking on a heavy course load. She put me on the "waitlist", I guess you could call it that, and told me she'd be giving me a call when something becomes available. Days and weeks go by and nothing. Then last week I get a call from the MAC store in Columbia, informing me there was a part time position available and that the manager would like to interview me. Mind you, I had been waiting nearly a month since I got "hired" to hear about available part time positions. Honestly, I thought they forgot about me. But, lo and behold, they didn't.

I actually just came from my "last interview" and the manager, Ewalina, offered me a permanent 18-hour position at the store right then and there (wasn't expecting that). Now, I pretty much fell out of my chair from excitement. The MAC store in Columbia Mall is my dream place of employment with MAC. I seriously didn't want to work anywhere else. I know the manager very well. The other artists that work there are pretty much on a first name basis with me. They are all so super nice and friendly. They are actually the ones that encouraged me to apply. They all were so supportive and offered me great tips to get through the interviews. Such great people at the MAC store in Columbia. But I wasn't getting my hopes up that I was going to work at the store since I was told getting hired in a freestanding store is harder than a counter. But, ah! as luck would have it, I get hired AND I get my dream location.
cheerleader.gif

I filled out all that paperwork (jeez, it's a lot) and now all I have to do is wait for it to go through during that wretched two week waiting period. She gave me an estimated start date of October 7th. But seriously, I am damn happy right about now. And I can honestly say that the resources here on Specktra helped out tremendously. I think if I didn't have this place and you awesome ladies and gentlemen to educate me, I probably would've been so lost and more than likely, not being hired ... or even getting a demo.

You guys kick some major ass, let me tell you! So, if you're in this area, come visit me when I start in October and we can chat about the awesomeness that is Specktra together, as well as our love for MAC.
smiles.gif

PRiNCiPESSAx4

aw congratulations! id love to work for mac, youre so lucky! i would never have the nerve to apply. hopefully this waiting period goes by quickly and you have a great time when you start!

BloodMittens

That's awesome! Good for you! I hope my interview goes just as well... I had a demo in August and just now they are calling me for a part-time position...

I feel you! Good luck with the new job and ENJOY! Seriously!

MACMuse

aww congratulations! the columbia store is the bomb, my best friend angela works there and they have a really good team. i'll have to come up and visit you one day!

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACMuse
aww congratulations! the columbia store is the bomb, my best friend angela works there and they have a really good team. i'll have to come up and visit you one day!

I think I know who you're talking about. Does she go by Angie? I think when I was there last night, they were saying she was leaving.
ssad.gif
If I'm thinking of the right person, she always had such flawless makeup and she was so nice.

And yes, please come visit!
smiles.gif

Katura

You'll probably get to go to basic with me!!! (I've been with MAC since May but probably won't go until January)