University Project, Your Tattoos and their meaning, please help!

angi

Hey, I’ve been asked to do a piece of university coursework for my social remembering module on commemorative practises. Commemorative practises are basically things that we do which project a version of the past into the future, for example, birthday parties, monuments, funerals, religious services etc. For my commemorative practise I’ve chosen to look at tattoos.

So basically I want to look at tattoos that people have, the meaning and reasons behind them i.e. why people feel that they had them done and the meaning that they still hold for them, and I need your help.

I’m interested in any tattoos that you have that meaning, or reasons behind them, or significance to you. I’m also interested in changes of mind (i.e. cover ups) and the way that you feel you changed in order to want to project a different version or idea about yourself on your body (for example, you got a tattoo as a teenager, and had it covered up as you feel that it no longer said anything about you, and all it did was reminded you of the difficult times you went through).

Let me start with my tattoo, it’s of two flowers on my back. I thought about having a tattoo for two years, and finally got it done after a period of great emotional stress where I broke up with my long term boyfriend and was going through a really stressful time. I got it as I felt that I had experienced a great amount of emotional pain, but had not experienced any physical pain to go with it, which left the whole time period open for me. The tattoo helped to give me closure on the emotional strain I had experienced (I feel that its size is proportional and represents the amount of my emotional upset.) I also got it to remind myself that we come through these things, and that even though every day can be a struggle, it does eventually end, and new things begin. To me it shows the support of the people that I had around me (it was designed by a close friend who helped me through the time). The design itself I chose and helped create because I wanted to help project the idea that tattoos aren’t horrible, ugly things that criminals and prisoners had (i.e. from the early ideas of psychologists and philosophers) and that tattoos can often be feminine and pretty, and can suit anyone.

I would love for other people to share their tattoos, the reasons they got them, the meaning behind them, your day to day understanding and appreciation of them, and what you feel they say about you (then and now!), be it open, personal, religious etc. It would also greatly help my final year coursework!

Bernadette

I've never really bothered to get in-depth with explaining my tattoos to anyone. Well except to my friend/tattoo artist who always manages to create my wisions perfectly. Trying to explain myself is pretty much my least favorite thing in life. So I will give you as in-depth of a look as I can muster
smiles.gif

Stomach.jpg

My second tattoo, you will see the first in the next picture. I got this tattoo when I was 20. I had just had my heart ripped out for the first time and was trying to make a statement to myself about who I knew I was deep down. It is a sacred heart in the sense that it has the flames coming out of the top and all but to me that's not what it is. It's a representation of my heart. I chose the anatomical heart because of it's goriness. The heart is dripping blood because I've felt that my heart has been wounded from a very young age due to very tough situations I had been through. The flames represent the fire and passion inside of me, despite any of my pain, inury, hurt etc. The black/purple roses are feminine yet dark, representing both beauty and pain. The banner reads "TRUE 4 ALL TIME" because that is what I am as is my heart. You may be familiar with a traditional Sailor Jerry tattoo with a dagger that reads "True Until Death," my banner was inspired by that. Instead of until death though I said f that, I'm true four all time. This tattoo took slightly over four hors, one sitting. The right side of the ribs was a real biatch. This is the tattoo that means the most to me. Many people that know me, don't even know it's there. This one is truly for me and says the most about who I am.

armTat.jpg

First and third tattoos on inside of left arm. On the inner wrist it says "Love" this was my first tattoo. I got this tattoo when I was 20 and had wanted it for ages. Love to me is the greatest gift life has to offer. Love for my friends, family, kittens, MAC, donuts hah you name it. To me, love is just IT.

The dagger (I call it my steak knife because I'm really petite so in person it's rather small) is somewhat of a staple in the traditional tattoo world. Not sure you can really make out the detail in this picture but, the handle of my dagger is made to look like carved wood, representing a crucifix. It has two strands of roseary like beads with croses hanging from them. It is cutting through my skin. This to me represents when I basically gave up on God and stopped feeling what I used to think was his prescense in my life.

elbow.jpg

Number four, under my left elbow. This one holds the least meaning, was just an idea that I liked and thought would look good. It's basically showing that I have the key to my own heart. It's brighter and more feminine than some of my other work. It does show where I had grown in life.

wrist.jpg

Number five, inside of right wrist. A needle and a spool of thread. No, I don't love to sew, I don't even know how (although I'd like to learn!) Without getting too in-depth or personal, it represents sewing up old wounds.

This is all I have for now, I will be getting full sleeves, both of my sides and my lower stomach done eventually. I have big plans and as soon as I can affor to I will get more work.

I love my tattoos more than I can ever begin to tell anyone. To me they represent who I am, why I am this person and how far I have come. Each tattoo tells a story about me and reminds of lessons I've learned. I have earned each one of these pieces of art on my body.

I have received plenty of negative feedback for my tattoos, but plenty more positive feedback. I've been told things like "You are such a beautiful girl, why did you ruin it?" from strangers and family alike. I get the typical "What are they going to look like when you're old?" My answer to that one is always that I might drop dead tomorrow so I really don't care.
More often than not, I have people walk up to me and ask to see my arms and then exclaim "Wow I love them, they are so bright and pretty!" The most unexpected yet biggest supporters are often old men
rofl.gif
. My favorite was when I was walking through a Wal-Mart in the middle-of-nowhere Nebraska and this old man is walkign towards me staring at me and when he gets close enough smiles and says "Nice tattoos" with a nod of approval.
I lived in Alabama for a while and people there were not too keen on my look. People were actually insaely rude to me on a daily basis. I know who I am and am proud of that person. Some person judging me really doesn't mean much.

I hope I could provide a little bit of info for your asignment. I look forward to reading about other people's tattoos!

dmenchi

omg! i know this feeling, i moved to north florida with my husband and we are the 'freaks' of the town...i hate those 'toothless hiks', but love living in the woods...
I have several pieces my-self and i'm a blck7 grey collector and always in 'progress' . i have a tattoo on my lower back,that was my first tattoo in germany -it's awful ,but i refuse to cover it up because it's part of who i am, every tattoo you add is like adding a piece of history or better said a chapter of your lifestory...
I was once tempted to get one removed from my calf( ashamed to admit,but it's hard to dress for work- i can't wear skirts unless it's winter and always long sleeves,....), but my good firend who did it, was brutally murdered in Tampa -so now i'm one of the few people who have this collector piece and the momories of getting it done an just him.
Then i started this big piece on my thigh and suddenly my grandmother passed, then many were birthday gifts (our friends are shopowners in Tampa & germany + we go to a lot of conventions) so more than meaning of the artpiece it's more a memory thing-i'll always know what was going on when i look at something.Most of my tattoos are classic paintings and statues /archeology type stuff
smiles.gif

knoxydoll

I'm so in on this:

Okay the tattoo I have with the most meaning is my whale on my ribcage (picture to follow) and I got it in memory of my father. He died in 1998 of cancer. There's a lot of meaning behind it and I know it's just perfect. As far back as I can remember my family has travelled, and whenever we went anywhere near the ocean (which was often, my dad loved it and so do I) we'd go whale watching. They're some of the best memories of my dad I have. So when I started thinking of tattoos that was definitely one of the ideas I had. So I looked into some meanings behind it and found that the native americans thought that the orca/killer whale symbolized family and togetherness. That there pretty much sealed the deal. So I decided to take a photo that my father had taken and sketch out the whale breaching and then got the tattoo.

Either enjoy or excuse the side boob.

The last tattoo I got was more for fun and following my water theme (that will eventually cover most of my body). I got a conch. It's more or less to remind me that everyone and everything I love will always be with me if I just take the time to think about it (or listen to myself).

The first tattoo I ever got was a shamrock on my hip. And well it doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. It's simple and keep the luck of the Irish in me. I plan on getting a Scottish lion sometime soon to give both my halves an equal representation. I don't have a picture of this one.

So that's the meaning.

I've never really had any regrets about any of my tattoos because they make me me, but who knows maybe I'll change my mind in a few years. But I know it's hard for my mother to cope with me having tattoos she really dislikes it. The rest of my family doesn't know. I find that there's a big stereotype that people associate with tattoos and that I don't really fit it. Most people don't realise I have any tattoos. I know I've held off on pieces that can't be covered up because I still don't have a career and am only going to heading into it some fields in a few years.

semtexgirl

No pics for me to post right now but I have a butterfly and 2 Chinese symbols on my back. The butterfly represents a constant state of change & one's evolution in general. The symbols stand for patience and inner strength. These are ever-present ideals for me to uphold and continue to work at.

tinagrzela

So cool you guys!!!!

I have 2 tattoos. The first one is a red rose, and I got it 12 years ago, when I was 18 (yikes!). It was my first year far away from my parents, and I wanted to get a tattoo so bad, and I got a red rose, because it reminded me of my mother. And I figured since it was her favorite flower, she wouldn't kill me if she found out. Actually she found out a year later, and thought it was really cool!!

My second one is a dragon. The reason, I love everything mideavil like dragons, swords, and all the good stuff. I've read so many books of that type, so I thought a dragon would be fitting. It's really big and it covers half my back. Nobody knows it there except my husband and few friends, since I'm a College teacher and that kind of stuff is well, not very liked by the straight ass bosses!! Here is a picture:

Tattoo.jpg

hope you guys like it!

Beauty Mark

I don't have pics to upload, but here are mine.

A fairy wing on each ankle. I dance. I want to be light on my feet always and be graceful.

My first tattoo was done in two parts. One is part (the small part, in the middle of my back) was done because I was abroad and wanted something permanent to remember. They're a few blue stars on my spine essentially. Then I had the tattoo reworked, because I had a better idea of putting blue shooting stars curving around my hip and onto my stomach. I always like stars and night, and I thought it would nice to have some shooting stars to look at and wish up even if they're not in the sky. I also like getting stars, because I was a physics major and did do a little bit of work relevant to astronomy/stars. I also have always done a combination of blue (my favorite color) and stars with my screen names online. I also went to a Seven Sisters college, which is a constellation that shows up in blue. I favored mythology as kid, too.

This is after the fact, so it didn't factor into my decision. The Seven Sisters constellation is within the Taurus constellation, which is my astrological sign. I kind of like that they're also the hottest stars.
winks.gif

My first tattoo is about 2 years old, and I do not regret it. It's really pretty.

My fairy wings- I don't regret them quite, but I wish I would've thought about how I can't really get away with a skirt or anything showing the ankles at work. I do like how they look, though.

All the pieces, except the spine piece which was reworked into the main back/hip piece, are custom work designed by a friend of mine. The wings are actually her exact design.

triccc

I have many tattoos, but only 2 really have a meaning behind them.

One of the two is very recent. No picture.
ssad.gif
I just got the outline and shading on friday and didn't take a picture after it was done. Now it is peeling and won't look as good until after the peeling stage is done. (but if you reeeaallllyy want one, I'll take a picture for you)

But it is a human heart with an angry snake wrapped around it.
I represent the snake. I am a tough girl. And I will protect and fight for everything close to my heart. Simple enough. I love it.

The next one was for my boyfriend.
zombie.jpg

Zombie hands saying Love you to death. Is that not comical or what? We both are into horror movies, especially zombie movies. And I will always love him.

Many of my other tattoos just represent things I like.

I loooove death, funerals, memnto mori, etc etc.. I am completely fascinated by all aspects of death. I even bought an embalming school book they use in colleges just to read leisurely.
So I have this casket with dead roses on the inside of one of my arms.
tatts008.jpg

sorry, shitty picturreee.

I also have tattoos of many other things I like.
Like a pirate ship & an anchor
An Ambulance. (love ambulances and hearses)
a picture from an edward gorey book.
and other random things stars, skulls, rocket, birds, guns.

knoxydoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by triccc
zombie.jpg

I love this. that's awesome.

This topic is great I like seeing all the stories and seeing the different tattoos everyone has.

knoxydoll

Quote:
thanks knoxydoll! where is YOUR ink?

4th post. I have a side piece (currently working on my other one) and as one on my thigh. And one on my hip.

Bernadette

Tricc, your work is amazing! I love the zombie arms one, my boyfriend also thought it was very cool. The upper back part of my left arm is going to have a casket, skull and some other stuff so I love your casket as well. We're obviously into the same type of tattoo art
thmbup.gif

triccc

bernadette don't even get me started on how much i looove all of yours!

I think your heart is my favorite though. how long ago did you get it? the color looks freaking amazing! but color always look great on us pale girls.
my other favorite is the needle and thread. cutesy wutesy.

Bernadette

Quote:
bernadette don't even get me started on how much i looove all of yours!

I think your heart is my favorite though. how long ago did you get it? the color looks freaking amazing! but color always look great on us pale girls.
my other favorite is the needle and thread. cutesy wutesy.

Thanks you! The picture of my stomach is pretty old but I've had it for almost three years and the color is still really bright. The artist I go to is known for his color work and the fact that I'm ultra pale and smother msyelf in sunscreen every day helps
smiles.gif

knoxydoll

Bernadette -- I totally agree with the sunscreen comment. It saves every colour from fading and your blacks from turning green. Although I do kind of like the old black tattoo colour

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Most people don't realise I have any tattoos. I know I've held off on pieces that can't be covered up because I still don't have a career and am only going to heading into it some fields in a few years.

I don't fit the stereotype, either. Then again, my piercings are shocking to people, too. ITA about the covering aspect, but the only tattoo I could think of that I want that wouldn't be easily covered is a chest piece.

The reactions I get (forget to list those) are about the tattoo on my stomach/hip. People are very concerned what's going to happen to it when (their words, not mine) I get pregnant and have kids.

Since I don't plan on ever giving birth or having kids, I'm not worried. That comment is more shocking than the tattoo itself.

GalleyGirl

I'll add pictures when I get home from work, but I'll describe them for now.
My first tattoo I got at age 18 (it was a b-day present from my mom) in 1998. Its the "auryn" symbol from the movie The Neverending Story, which was my favorite movie as a kid. In the film, Atreyu wore the Auryn as a protective amulet, so that was the idea behind getting this tattoo.
My second one is a bright pink (well was supposed to be anyway, the color faded fast :-( ) lightning bolt on my left ankle. I was very unhappy with my job at the time, and I wanted to get it to remind myself that staying there miserable and indecisive was going to do me now good, and in this life I should just act like a lightening bolt and move on to something that would actually make me happy.

Raerae

Very cool!

I've always wanted to get inked... But I have yet to find something really "me" that I want.

I live how tattoo's and piercings aren't totally taboo anymore... I still want to get more piercings on my naval. I'm kida of a belly button fiend lol, I think its a really special/sexy part of the body.

medusalox

Ok let's see if I can figure this out, as I've never posted pictures on this forum before. I have 3 tats.

The first one is a Phoenix in between my shoulder blades. I got it when I was living at the Renaissance Faire in Texas...it's an image off of one of the coins that my renfaire company makes. I just love the phoenix, it symbolizes all the crap that I've gone through in life, and yet, I've 'risen from the ashes' to make myself stronger and better.
smiles.gif

phx.jpg

I keep trying to resize it, and it's just not working for me.
ssad.gif

-------
My other two tattoos are twins...they're tribal gargoyles on my hips. I'm not a big fan of these two, I got them on a whim after getting dumped by my long term boyfriend (we have since gotten back together, hehe). I wanted to do something to symbolize protecting myself...the idea is kinda cool, but I went to a shoddy artist who didn't do such a fabulous job. Here's a picture of one (low quality, its a cell phone picture)...the other one looks exactly the same, but facing the other direction.
smiles.gif

garg.jpg

----
I just realized that both of these pictures were taken when the ink was still brand new, hence the shine
smiles.gif