Updated Fake Eyeshadows, Pic Analysis

angi

Just thought that I would do a little bit of an update on this, being that the fakers are getting that much better at it, and in order to get some use out of the fakes that I brought.

The fakes that I have were brought about 6 months ago, from ebay (wc-racer). I brought 5 items from her, fashion pack, suspicion, jasmine, surreal, and humid. Yesterday, I was looking through my collection after reading the excellent threads on how to spot fake pigments (thanks xqueeze_me, holocaustic and panda0410 for the great info!), and three of my eyeshadows stood out for all the wrong reasons: humid, surreal and jasmine.

I've since been out and actually purchased originals of humid and surreal, so thought I would do a little bit of a pictoral analysis, in case it helps anyone.

Genuine eyeshadows on the left of the photos, fakes on the right.

Initially, the reason that these eyeshadows stood out in my make up box is the way the light caught the top of the labels. As has previously been pointed out in the pigment update, with fakes the sticker label is darker black and glossier than the box, whereas with the genuine eyeshadows, the sticker tends to be more matte, and, in the right lights, blends well with the box colour. The fonts on the fake stickers are also slightly different.

From the stickers alone I was able to pick out the eyeshadows which to me seemed a little strange. I then studied them more carefully. The next thing that I noticed was in the box itself. The fake boxes are quite badly scratched, as can be seen with the comparisons of humid. Figuring that this could just be because the eyeshadows had been shipped from the US to the UK, I tried to recreate the effect with my nails on one of my genuine boxes. It didn't work.

The front of the box

I then looked at the type and text across the rest of the box. The back and the sides of the box were almost identical to the genuine article, but the front bore some subtle differences, mainly being that the text looked a little less clear (only very very slightly), but the biggest thing that I found on all of the fakes, was the way that the 'e' after the weight was printed. With the genuine eyeshadows it is very crisp and clear, however, with the fakes it is thicker and less emphasised.

The quality of the rest of the box was pretty good. Stickers to the bottom, with matching batch numbers.

The eyeshadow pot and colour

The biggest thing that I noticed with this was that the lid was very loose. I don't know why I didn't notice before, but when you open the lid and then let it go, it doesn't stay where it is, the lid simply drops closed/open depending on the angle you are holding it at.

The hinges on the back are very good, they match the genuine eyeshadows, but are a little rougher round the edges (with the raw edges being slightly less well finished).

Genuine (L) Fake (R)

The stickers on the bottom of the eyeshadows are slightly different. The fake has a slightly different font, and is subtly different in texture (more matte than the genuine). However, this is very, very hard to tell without having a genuine comparison to it).

Fake

Genuine

I'm happy to be corrected on this if someone finds an eyeshadow that doesn't conform to the rule, but I checked all of the eyeshadows that I have, so can only go with this information. On the inside of the lid of the fakes, within the inner lid (around the trasparent window) there are four slightly raised circles. With the fakes, these are full circles, and are further in. With all of the genuines that I've looked at, these raised circles are HALF circles, and are right on the outer edge of the lid. It's really hard to explain, and I hope that what I'm trying to say is clearer from the photos that I have taken.

Genuine (L) Fake (R)
The colours, like the pigments look very, very similar in the pots

Fake (top)
Genuine (bottom)

But not when swatched. My hand still bears the green imprint of the fake!

Hope this helps someone.

Theres also a great thread discussing eyeshadow fakes, which contains a lot of this info in more detail, started by julie150463.

panda0410

another strike for wc-racer....fake pigments, now fake e/s... bet she will never find those receipts...lol!

look_divine

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
another strike for wc-racer....fake pigments, now fake e/s... bet she will never find those receipts...lol!

OMFG i just purchased a mineralize eye shadow off this one
WTF was i thinking
ssad.gif

MACATTAK

I bought from wc-racer about a year ago & found out later the shadows were indeed fake. Funny how she writes LONG reviews about "spotting fakes," so you think she cares, but is selling fakes with the rest of them!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to put this together
smiles.gif

rockin

I have a fake Humid identical to that. Until now, I hadn't noticed the floppy hinge, though - thank you for pointing that out. One of my other suspect eyeshadows, Brun, also has that floppy hinge. The 'e' on the 'Humid' box is fat like the one on yours, but the 'e' on the 'Brun' isn't.

The 'Brun' has the half-circles, not the full circles. Both have the boxes that mark, and the shiny sticker. I have also noticed that the shadow pans have maybe 1mm or 2mm of silver metal showing above the edges of the shadow, whereas those I know to be genuine have the shadow coming up the sides to cover it. When the 'Brun' is open, I can see that the plastic just below the upper clasp is poorly finished

My suspect 'Black Tied' has the same easy-mark box, shiny sticker (but half circles) and silver showing above the shadow, but the suspect 'Nocturnelle' has a more matte sticker.

One more thing all my suspect shadows have in common is the lower clasp. I've noticed that it is tapered/chamfered off at each end, whereas those I know to be genuine are not. The groove on the inside of the upper clasp is wider and deeper than that on the known genuine ones.

Maybe someone could check theirs to see if this is the same on their known fakes?

amber_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin
I have also noticed that the shadow pans have maybe 1mm or 2mm of silver metal showing above the edges of the shadow, whereas those I know to be genuine have the shadow coming up the sides to cover it.

Just wanted to let you know that I have genuine Beauty Marked and Creme de Violet e/s both of which have pans where you can see 1mm or so of silver. I know these are authentic as they were bought from a MAC counter in London. Will check my other e/s.

angi

I checked my e/s. In most of my genuine ones the colours do come up to the edge, either partially or all the way around, but in a couple they don't. In particular my newly minted (from nottingham mac) has a clean 1mm pan all the way around. I checked black tied though, and in my one the colour does come up to the edges of the pan.

Also, had a look at the clasps on my real/fake e/s and can see what you mean about the lower clasps and the upper grooves on the fakes.

Real (L) Fake (R)

Real

Fake

I hadn't noticed the tapered edges on the lower clasp before, thanks for pointing it out. I have checked, and all my fakes have it, whereas the genuine e/s clasps are crisper, and squarer round the edges.

Also, with some of my fakes the join just above the clasp, where the lower clasp meets the plastic around the pan, is much wider. This is worst on my humid fake, and (I hope!) is pretty clear in the pic above.

akw

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THIS: I SUBMITTED MY RECEIPTS TO PAYPAL 2 MONTHS AGO AND YOU KNOW THIS SINCE AS YOU CLAIMED "YOU TALK ON AND OFF THE FORUM"! YOUR GOSSIP IS WHAT HAS CAUSED THESE NEW COMPLAINTS! So now when someone gets a fake, they pick one of the sellers' names that you have been slamming on here, to accuse and it's crap!
Also, half of your information is WRONG, and you have people convinced that they have fakes of everything now - when they don't!
And to look_divine: I thought you were a MAC expert so YOU KNOW THAT WHAT YOU BOUGHT FROM ME ISN'T FAKE (and the mineralize eye shadows haven't even been counterfeited but now that the rumor has started, I'm sure everyone will THINK THEY HAVE BEEN). I HAVE RETAINED AN ATTORNEY FOR THE SLANDER, SO BE PREPARED TO PROVE THE M.E.S. IF FAKE (and you can't because it's not). All of you sellers will be going through the same thing that you're putting other sellers through, eventually!

look_divine

Quote:
Originally Posted by akw
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THIS: I SUBMITTED MY RECEIPTS TO PAYPAL 2 MONTHS AGO AND YOU KNOW THIS SINCE AS YOU CLAIMED "YOU TALK ON AND OFF THE FORUM"! YOUR GOSSIP IS WHAT HAS CAUSED THESE NEW COMPLAINTS! So now when someone gets a fake, they pick one of the sellers' names that you have been slamming on here, to accuse and it's crap!
Also, half of your information is WRONG, and you have people convinced that they have fakes of everything now - when they don't!
And to look_divine: I thought you were a MAC expert so YOU KNOW THAT WHAT YOU BOUGHT FROM ME ISN'T FAKE (and the mineralize eye shadows haven't even been counterfeited but now that the rumor has started, I'm sure everyone will THINK THEY HAVE BEEN). I HAVE RETAINED AN ATTORNEY FOR THE SLANDER, SO BE PREPARED TO PROVE THE M.E.S. IF FAKE (and you can't because it's not). All of you sellers will be going through the same thing that you're putting other sellers through, eventually!

where have i stated that your items are fake???

pratbc

Have you depotted any of these? If you did, I was wondering whether the pans were indented. If so, that is red flag that they are fakes. HTH

look_divine

Quote:
Originally Posted by akw
And to look_divine: I thought you were a MAC expert

I dont sell mac of any description so no im not a mac expert in any way!!! thats why i joined specktra!!!!

erinmosh

thank you so much for this. i had purchased humid/surreal/swimming from this seller, and now i am going to throw them away! my humid looks identical to yours. thank god i have finally learned to never buy mac on ebay.

Nails

I bought two MAC e/s on eBay a while ago, 'Bright Sunshine' - I was just getting into MAC and when I went to the MAC pro store near where I used to live, they didn't have it. At this time I didn't know you could buy them off the Mac site. I also bought Pagan from the McQueen line from eBay too but I ran and checked them both thorough and they're real *phew*. I knew fake MAC was around but didn't know how to spot it so I went with my instincts on who had a good feedback review generated from lots of similar sales.

Also, as a result of these threads, I found a seller on Oztion who seemed to be selling A LOT of MAC products...that MAC had never made. Particularly a palette that PurseBuzz showed to be fake. Reported!

I'm totally sticking to sending my friend to the MAC store in Sydney from now on!