Urban Decay: Why I am never buying one of their Eyeshadows

BettieBloodshed

I had TWO of their eyeshadows explode on me. They get semi ruffled about in my makeup bang and they turn into eyeshadow dust and explode when you open the case. First time it happened it was with an old color from their metal-case days...but yesterday one of my plastic case ones exploded on me.

Am I the only person who has had this problem?

I would blame it to me and my rough handling, but my MAC has never done that, and neither has my Lancome or Estee Lauder.

Grr...its annoying.

Demosthenes

I've had 3 do that to me (they were depotted and in a 15 pan). What's really odd is that the Milani, MAC and Jane shadows that were in the pan didn't have a single crack on them. I think it's just the UD powder formulation that causes this. Maybe you should only leave them at home? I think traveling with UD is kinda hard.

BettieBloodshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes
I've had 3 do that to me (they were depotted and in a 15 pan). What's really odd is that the Milani, MAC and Jane shadows that were in the pan didn't have a single crack on them. I think it's just the UD powder formulation that causes this. Maybe you should only leave them at home? I think traveling with UD is kinda hard.

Yeah...I guess it must have happened with cabin pressure change when I moved from the USA to the UK.
At least I'm not the only one!

PnkCosmo

I've only had one break on me, and it's cuz I dropped it.

They *are* pretty soft, though. Since they're triple pigmented, there aren't as many binding agents in the e/s like with MAC and other brands.

MAC is only double pigmented.

user2

My Rust e/s did the same thing to me and it was so sad b/c UD moved away from Germany....
ssad.gif

Jillith

I broke uvb once, but I dropped it. These are so beautiful and well pigmented that I think they are worth the extra gentle care they require.

sweetmelissa

I've only broken one which I dropped, never had one spontaneously explode. How strange....but I don't carry them with me much either and when I do I have a UD palette that I put them in.

I still love these shadows though....even if they are a bit unstable, lol.

moonrevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by notevenjail
My Shattered shattered on me!

Hahha, maybe I've had too much coffee today because I nearly fell off the couch when I read this!

I have been using Urban Decay for a looooong time, even longer than MAC (perish the thought!), and I have had several shadows crumble on me. Some I dropped, and some just broke through jostling in my makeup case, and some for apparently no reason at all (it's the makeup demons, muahahah). They are really really fragile, and though I love them, I never take them out with me anymore, especially the ones in the original packaging because they are the most difficult to open carefully when there is a shattered shadow inside. I dare not try to depot them, because knowing me, I'll end up covered in Kiddie Pool.
ssad.gif

glassjaw326

i dont even handle them roughly and lust shattered into dust the other day. it is now sucha bitch openint the e/s just to use it. im thinking about putting it in one of my empty pigment jars since there is no way i can put it back together. ive tried everything!

roxannalou

Quote:
They *are* pretty soft, though. Since they're triple pigmented, there aren't as many binding agents in the e/s like with MAC and other brands.

Can someone explain what this means, please? TIA!

thegirlgotsoul

I absolutely LOVE Urban Decay shadows. They are GORGEOUS and go on exactly like they look in the pan. And they never come off my eyes all day when I am at work.

I have every color they make, and a bunch from previous years that are now discontinued.

Liz

I like a few of their shadows, but they're more expensive than mac which turns me away. $15 for UD instead of MAC's $9.50.

maryb74

Mine broke too..

I have had 2 midnight cowboys break on me, also I had the afterglow brush break on me as well.. Weird...

PnkCosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxannalou
Quote:

Can someone explain what this means, please? TIA!

What part?

Triple pigmented refers to how much pigment is put in the e/s. Too Faced e/s is triple pigmented as well.

Binding agents are what hold the e/s together.

Isabel

I have had 2 Urban Decay eyeshadows for a while and they have never broke...even when I have dropped them and taken them on a plane to California with me.

Knock on wood lol.

Nycutie182

I have 25 UD eyeshadows and have completely used 3. Only two have broken on me. Shotgun I dropped it but it was nearly empty anyway and hotpants and only because my cousin dropped it twice in one day lol. I have some from back when the packaging was flat metal containers (two packaging designs ago). I have old oil slick and old Hazmat (not the 1 with 3 colors) and they're still in great condition.

orodwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnkCosmo

MAC is only double pigmented.

yup, triple-pigmented & fragile. they deserve more gingerly treatmant than bumming around in a mu bag. if someone is the kind of person that just demands a less fragile e/s than UD's then i can see not buying them but the pigment is so lovely. :loveya:

fluffy.gif

firepoppy

I have only had 3 UD e/s break on me and that's not many considering I almost always use them and take them out clubbing, etc, to touch up and to do my make-up the next day when I'm staying out.

I broke Roach in the Sell-out face case on the day I got it which made me sad, but only the top layer broke off.

I've had a Stila e/s break too and I think they're just as soft.

I've never had a MAC e/s break yet. *Knocks on wood"*

Katie

DaizyDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
I like a few of their shadows, but they're more expensive than mac which turns me away. $15 for UD instead of MAC's $9.50.

macs eyeshadows arent 9.50 [thats outlet CCO price for mac or pan price] their 13.50 which is only 1.50 difference.

As for the binding and tripple pigment question it says right on the UD website they use less binding and more pigment then any other major brand eyeshadow. Binding is the fillers that keep the eyeshadow together sorta like when you bake a cake you would add eggs and milk and such to make the batter into a liquid form then bake it well they add more of the powder pigment and less of the binders so that you get a brighter or more glittery product but that also makes the product more easily broken and more likely to break under impact.

HTH