US airports install scanners that see through clothes.

User93

There are lots of people comlainting about airport rules, but IMO as long as its made for safety, its good. I wouldnt mind being scanned like that, cause i know thats for my own good. There are terrosrists attaching things to their bodies in diferent parts. so patting sometimes is not enough. I agree with the lines, being scanned, not being able to take liquids with me (more than 100 ml)... I know thats for safety. I will definitely feel more safe on the plane if i know everyone was checked like that.

redambition

technologically - this is amazing. i have seen a demo of these on tv and it's incredible. they show any object being hidden under clothes, not just metals. i was pretty amazed when i saw how it worked.

in terms of it being used as a security scanner? im unsure. as long as the guidelines are followed (people viewing the screen in a remote area and do not see passenger, face is obliterated and the image is unable to be saved or captured), i guess it's more acceptable and less invasive than a frisk. i wonder if it will prove to be useful in preventing security breaches on planes.

Dizzy

Great Googly Moogly, what's next, we all wear paper hospital gowns and flip flops to fly?
th_rolleye0014.gif

In all seriousness, I can't understand giving up my privacy in the name of security. They've got every right to implement all of the prohibitive policies in the world, but I've got the choice not to fly anymore. It seems like many others have made similar decisions. The airline industry has been teetering on the verge of bankruptcy for a few years now because, in part, people just don't want to have to jump through hoops to board an airplane.

Amtrak is cheaper (most of the time, anyway), more comfortable, and nobody tries to put me through scanners that make me virtually naked or attemps invasive pat downs (anyone try flying with an underwire bra on, lately?). I like that.

User93

I just wanted to add that well.. sometimes you cant give up using planes. it depends on where you live. I personally couldnt. And if i need a trans-atlantic flight, for example, i would stand 5 minutes of embarassement. but then i wont have to be scared all 10 hours of flight that someone in my plane is hiding something in the underpants
winks.gif

Yeah it causes some inconvenience and bigger lines, so i would have to arrive earlier to the airport. But im ok with that. Just note to myself - wear nice matching underwear when i gonna fly! lol. All is just IMO.

Dizzy

Meh, if absolutely necessary I'd rather take a flight out of one of the Caribbean islands or Canada, if they're not implementing virtual-naked requirements to get on their flights.

Privacy is more important to me because security cannot be guaranteed. Sure, this might catch a few more people, but someone who really wants to bring that lighter or knife or other contraband onboard won't be stopped. Check out what inmates to do hide contraband, or even look at how simple it is to even make/get these objects while on the flight. My security depends on my own actions, not someone checking under my clothes to make sure it's just a belt buckle. To each their own.
smiles.gif

lilMAClady

I think its awful. It's a violation in so many ways. They keep going further and further. We are never gong to be 100% safe. I don't think its for our safety at all. I think its for something more sinister. They use terrorism as a guise for taking our rights away and its wrong. It's not just at airports, its everywhere! Things are getting so bad it freaks me out. This is NOT good at all. Our freedoms are eroding before our eyes!

MAC_Whore

Personally, I am willing to let TSA scan me. I am willing to trade a bit of my "privacy" for not dying at the hands of some nut job carrying explosives onto a plane.

Whilst the thought of this process is unpleasant for some, I would think the thought of dying from a terror attack just might be even more unpleasant.

As the searching/boarding protocol stands now, things still get missed. Why not add an extra measure of security?

TSA is taking all measures to impliment as much privacy as possible with this technology, i.e. blurring the face, displaying the image in another room and not storing records. God, if some people feel this is invasive, how do they feel about the pat down?

Sorry if this is unpleasant for some, but threats are changing, so we need to do what we have to in order to combat them. Adapt and overcome. It would be really nice if we could count on a firm handshake and an honest smile to determine if someone was carrying explosives, but really, that's not going to happen.

I find this more troublesome and invasive than airport security scanners: A flashy Facebook page, at a cost to privacy - Washington Post - MSNBC.com

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMAClady
....I don't think its for our safety at all. I think its for something more sinister......

Such as? Just curious.

User93

Well, our security doesnt always depend on us, unfortunately. And it someone takes some sht in the plane, i wont be that girl so jump on the terrorist, unarm him, tie him in the plane and keep like this for the whole flight, until CIA takes him the the airport we arrive to and gives me a cookie for being that brave.

I agree with Mac Whore, its just the time we live in, we gotta deal with it. Plus, honestly, does anyone think they make it just to insult customers and take their privacy and freedom away? I doubt air companies are just a bunch of pervs trying to hurt our feelings. I dont mind being patted, i dont mind having to take the shoes off and walking through the gate, i dont mind putting my perfume in a plastic bag.

I wont give up using the planes, and i feel thankful to the air companies giving a damn about security. My bf is taking trans-atlantic flight in a month, so damn, i really home they check everyone like that.

serendipityii

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMAClady
I think its for something more sinister. They use terrorism as a guise for taking our rights away and its wrong.

As humans, I think we all want our rights. Seeing as how the airport security is comprised of humans, why would they want to take away their own rights if it wasn't for the good of the whole?
I'm not saying that this scanner thing is a good thing or a bad thing, but to say that they just want to take away our rights and not try to protect us is a little overwhelming.

user79

I think it's deeply violating and I think it will cause a lot of problems if people don't have a choice to be either patted down, or scanned with these. What about muslim women for example? Or, well anyone that values their privacy? I think these machines could be abused.

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi
Well, our security doesnt always depend on us, unfortunately. And it someone takes some sht in the plane, i wont be that girl so jump on the terrorist, unarm him, tie him in the plane and keep like this for the whole flight, until CIA takes him the the airport we arrive to and gives me a cookie for being that brave.

No, that's the job of the armed air marshall on most flights. They're plain clothes for a reason, and in any case, what would a terrorist use that can't already be found on a normal commercial flight?

Firearm? Check- pilots have one up front.
Knives? Head to the back where the flight attendants have their service station.
Explosives? Plenty of material on a flight to make explosives with. Especially under the cabin, which isn't hard to get to for a determined person.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have any precautions taken, but really, what's the point of this one? Our bags are searched, our shoes are inspected, we pass through metal detectors and sometimes get pulled out of line for an inspection. That's even after someone's already run a "safety" check on you after you buy your ticket.

Checking me out naked isn't going to prevent anything.

GlossyAbby

I dont mind anything is better than when they had me undutton my lowrider jeans at the airport in front of everyone.... then used the wand on me... I would prefer a scan

MAC_Whore

This is what they see:

TSABodyScan.jpg

Personally, I don't see the big deal. Unless, as MissChievous pointed out, it violates a religious belief. Airports already have other measures in place though to deal with issues of modesty with women of certain faiths, so that shouldn't be a problem.

On another note about feeling violated: If my TSA scanner technician is turned on by that, well, he/she is extremely hard up. I say give them their cheap thrill. They must reallllly need it.

rbella

I don't really mind it. Trust me, NOBODY wants to see what I've got goin' on!!! I'm fine with the idea of being scanned even if it only means a miniscule difference in the amount of possible terrorists, etc. they can catch. My safety and my family's safety will always come first.

redambition

MAC_Whore - thanks for the pics!

Looks like the image hasn't gotten any more refined since i saw the demo on TV a while ago.

Latest posts