Using Your Fingers to Apply Foundation. Good/Bad?

glam8babe

i used to do it years ago (especially using maybelline dream matte mousse)
but now i just couldnt do it
i might use my fingers to blend around my eye area and the sides of my nose but thats it, i wouldnt use them to apply it all over my face

QueenEmB

As long as it's on your own face and your fingers are clean then there's no problem - the heat of your fingers actually blends it really well.

browneyedbaby

It's personal preference... I don't wanna risk any contamination of my products so I use a brush buuuut some people prefer fingers (or a sponge)... just make sure you use anti-bac soap or gel.

I also think a brush is a nicer finish, and with fingers it's easy to apply to much.

xxManBeaterxx

If im in a rush ill just use my fingers, but if you do it on others is just more sanitary to use a brush. I dont think its something thats taboo or anything.

YvetteJeannine

I have foundation brushes, sponges, and puffs..but 95% of the time I use my fingers to apply/blend foundation..

I personally think it's the very best way SO LONG AS your fingers are clean. I always wash my hands prior to putting on my foundation..And I carry sanitizer with me in my makeup bag.

Using your fingers adds warmth to your face and foundation to help it meld into your face the way brushes/sponges just can't. In fact, I've read most m/u artists like to use their fingers (but sometimes cannot, due to health standards). If it's YOUR face, then why not? Like I said, just wash them hands!

I have noted I have a MUCH harder time applying foundation with my $50 brush than I do with my little fingers! It's a LOT more time consuming, and tends to make it look heavy if I don't spend twenty minutes blending!

Heiaken

When I firts started to use foundation I applied it wiht my fingers, then I converted to sponges and did that for numerous of years and now I've been applying my foundation wiht a Bodyshop foundation brush about half a year and that really is the best alternative to me. I feel like I can't get the foundation looks as flawless wiht my fringer that with a brush and the sponge just eats up too much product. I don't see anything bad wiht using your fingers but I just don't know how to do it anymore
winks.gif

I bough a really cheap skunk/stipling brush and tried to do my foundation with that but the quality was so bad that is was a pain in the as to try to work wiht that.

*KT*

It seems like when I used to use my fingers to apply my foundation, that I'd have a lot of "transfer" issues throughout the day if I touched my face at all. I can only assume that it's because I applied it heavier using my fingers. I much prefer a damp makeup sponge or a brush.

AdlersMommy22

it depends on the foundation for me- with some of my foundations i prefer my 187 brush- but like with my hyperreel i prefer my fingers- its all about the formula and how easy it is to blend

MzzRach

Depends on the kind of foundation for me.

For the typical liquid foundation, I find a brush gives me far and away the best result. Same with a cream to powder formulation. I pretty much exclusively use brushes now and do not use either fingers or sponges.

For tinted moisturizer, I general smooth it on with clean fingers - since it is so sheer to begin with.

elektra513

Depends on the foundation (and its setting time) for me as well. Bobbi Brown blends better with fingers. Per a national MA, Nars actually formulated his foundation to be used with fingers. Px for me is best used with a traditional foundation brush. MAC SFF is best used with the 187 or fingers, depending on coverage preference. I haven't used a foundation that works best with a sponge, and if I did, I still probably wouldn't use one. IMO sponges are for blending, not application.

Lizzie

I mix my foundation with moisturizer and put it on with my fingers when I'm in a hurry. It looks just same when I buff it out with powder.

Kiseki

Depends on the type of Product. For GA's Face Fabric or LM's Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer, it's fingers all the way (clean, of course), it blends a lot better and I always blend my concealer with my fingers.

For foundations like Clé de Peau's Cream Foundation or GA's Shaping Designer cream, I always use a brush because I don't want a mask like finish or uneveness.

cetati

Make sure it blends in well and use the heat of your fingers to hold your face and especially the nose/eye area where there are curves, to help the make up "stick." When I can't be bothered to use my 187 brush, this is what I do. Tip: After foundation + concealer with fingerblending, I take a tissue and fold it in half then hold it lightly to each area of my face (pay particular attention to the sides of the nose) like I'm blotting oil with blotting sheets, to remove the extra foundation so there is less transfer through the day. Touch up with a little concealer if you have blemishes that show after doing this.

rachybloom

I know I read in one of his books (or maybe an article..) that Francois Nars of NARS Cosmetics likes to use his fingers to basically apply most things. His philosophy is that the warmth of your hands allows for better blending and the makeup "melts" into your skin. I usually like to press my CLEAN fingers onto my face lightly after I've applied my foundation with the 187 brush. I personally think the finger technique allows for a more sheer application.

ClaireAvril

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
i used to do it years ago (especially using maybelline dream matte mousse)
but now i just couldnt do it
i might use my fingers to blend around my eye area and the sides of my nose but thats it, i wouldnt use them to apply it all over my face

Same here.. used to do it.. not fun anymore its too messy.
There are a lot of inexpensive brushes you can use for your foundation.

FiestyFemme

I rarely wear liquid, but when I do, I most often use my fingers.
I've tried brushes, but I just like using my fingers better for whatever reason.
I haven't had any problems doing this. I just wash my hands right before I apply the foundation.

eye_pr0mise

i started applying my concealer with my fingers around the eyes and side of my nose. and i use powder to do everything else.

when i use liquid foundation i normally put it on with a 187 brush. but when im in a rush i use my clean hands.

Latest posts