Vanity License Plates Book

melozburngr

Ok, so first off, I'm a designer, always thinking of weird projects to procrastinate cleaning my house...

Secondly, after I got my first set of personalized license plates I find myself looking at license plates for clever or funny plates...so it struck me one day- I wanna make a book of them!

So here is where y'all come in...

Obviously I can't get to all the states to find cool plates, and I don't just want Nevada and Michigan plates in my book, so I'm asking for submissions!!

What I'm asking for:

high resolution (300dpi) pictures of fun/clever/funny license plates- yours, a friend's, or just a random one on the street...

PLEASE get a direct view of the plate (not from an angle), and somewhat closeup.. don't completely cut out the car though, so I can do the cropping that I need to.

email them to [email protected] and let me know your full name, so I can credit you for the picture!

I'm basically doing this for myself, but if you're interested when the book is done- I'll let you know- Ill be printing it through Make your own book with Blurb, so I can allow others to purchase it if they're interested.

Names: I'm thinking about "Vanity States", "These Great American Plates" or "The United Plates of America" or if you have any ideas- pass them on!!

Thanks for your help!!

chiquilla_loca

very interesting & fun idea, good luck with it!
i travel a lot by car and find myself always checking out other people's license plates. if i catch any good ones, i'll send them to ya!

oh, and i liked the title The United Plates of America

chiquilla_loca

also, i don't myself get personalized plates since i have read info on them being especially attractive to theives.
th_dunno.gif

check out this web gallery...
The Best Vanity License Plate Ideas, Pictures & Meanings | CoolPl8z.com

melozburngr

yeah those galleries are awesome, people are SO creative, which is why I want to celebrate their brilliance! :p

I wish those pix were high res!

I love this one....
coolpl8z_010.jpg

kaliraksha

This one claims to be an unfortunate combination of numbers/letters. It's always been the one that's stuck in my head the most:

http://www.killsometime.com/Pictures...s/Ass-Orgy.jpg

I think as a book the last title is the most informative while still being clever, but the cutest is the first title.

You should try posting on Craigslist and stuff/social sites (myspace,facebook) and see if people are willing to submit their own plates so you can get the best pics. Do you need to have their permission to publish it?

I'll start taking pics of any I see around here and send them to you.

melozburngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
This one claims to be an unfortunate combination of numbers/letters. It's always been the one that's stuck in my head the most:

http://www.killsometime.com/Pictures...s/Ass-Orgy.jpg

I think as a book the last title is the most informative while still being clever, but the cutest is the first title.

You should try posting on Craigslist and stuff/social sites (myspace,facebook) and see if people are willing to submit their own plates so you can get the best pics. Do you need to have their permission to publish it?

I'll start taking pics of any I see around here and send them to you.

Yeah, I considered the facebook/myspace route. not sure if i'd need permission, seeing as the plates are out in public anyway.

kaliraksha

Yeah, you may want to find out before you begin this venture and have to backtrack and get permissions. I considered that too that the plates are out in public, but then again do you usually need permission to put someone in a video/photograph even if they're out in public? I'm not sure because I've seen it both ways... I've seen people on campus asking other to sign release forms to be in the background of a documentary and yet I've seen pictures posted online of people that just got stuck in a photo in front of a building. I wonder if it's just a safety measure if the person decides to sue... or if they even have legal grounds to sue. Hopefully someone will know on the forum and chime in.

Regardless, love the idea and wish you the best of luck on your project =)

Edit: The only thing I know for sure is that if you took the picture you own the copywright of that photo. So, you would probably definitely need written permission from the people that took the photos.

Latest posts