Visiting New York in April...could use advice!!!! :)

Brittni

I know you are all beautiful AND helpful so please give me some advice!

I am visiting my best friend in New Jersey next month and we're spending a day in NYC. She's been there before but is a lot less structured then I happen to be since she lives close enough and can go whenever she wants. For me, I don't want to miss anything too special and really love finding the real treasures of a place when I'm traveling and only have one day there!

So that's where your help is needed! Below is a list of some things I'd like to see and do in New York City, please give me your best advice on what order I should do this and if it's feasible! We will be there all day and ALL night... I believe the train runs until 4am so it's not like we're crunched 8am-3pm kind of thing. We were going to spend our night seeing Wicked but saving that for August instead... so I will be back but yeah...

NO, I won't be stopping by MAC Pro. That's just too overwhelming for me, lol...and I already have two CCO planned visits
th_DANCE.gif

Things I'd like to do...please suggest more or give details/thoughts

Get a MetroCard $7.50 one-day pass for subway
Metro Museum of Art
Brooklyn Bridge...maybe
China Town- shopping
Little Italy-food
Barbie store –
Toys R Us -
Brooklyn Botanical Garden
-it's Cherry Blossom Season
*****A MUST****Greenwich Village:
-Magnolia Bakery: best cupcakes ever $2.50 each
-Washington Sq. Park

I can do without the Brooklyn bridge, and I'm not big into a lot of things such as State of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc. They're really just photo ops in my opinion that aren't needed. So yeah... just let me know your suggestions! Thanks so much!

bcsweetascandy

I was just in NYC this past weekend, and if you like frozen yogurt, you MUST visit Pinkberry. I'd never had it before and I'm hooked, and unfortunately since I'm back home in VA I can no longer get it :-(. Also, Serendipity 3 is a very nice restuarant to visit...I would suggest getting a reservation ahead of time. Other than that, I think walking around is the best way to experience NYC, so enjoy!!!

Lapis

All this in one day is tight, I visit NYC for 7-10 days a year and never fit everything in, lol

Brooklyn Bridge...maybe blah it's a bridge I don't get the draw

China Town- shopping YES

Little Italy-food-YES!! To me a must go is Di Paolo's take a number be prepared to wait but the cheeses are GREAT!! and you can taste and ask questions and it's great
We always eat at this tiny place down the street from them, I can't remember the name but they remember us and they have the best Italian chocolate EVER!! I'll bug dh for the name
In Soho we get bread at Balthazar

Barbie store –
Toys R Us - For me they are for the kids but if you want to visit toy stores
FAO Schwartz

*****A MUST****Greenwich Village: I prefer the village at night so I would save this for last
yahoo.gif

HustleRose

i have to disagree with the chinatown suggestion. ughhhh. but i'm a nyc native so that's why my opinion is so biased.
smiles.gif

other places that are great are the guggenheim museum, bronx zoo, central park, greenwich village (especially the west village - if you are into comedy there are a lot of great comedy theatres there like the comedy celler. you could even catch a famous person there one night). soho is a great area for shopping as well - the sephora there is amazinggggggg!! also south street seaport has this awesome exhibition called "bodies" - -which features actual human specimen. so fucking cool.

ok i'm rambling now.
smiles.gif

oh and if you're into theme resturaunts check out jekyll and hyde, it's an awesome resturaunt where they try to scare the shit out of you when you're eating.

HustleRose

oh and be careful in washington square park at night. it's not the safest place. a lot of drug dealers hanging around.

HustleRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis

Brooklyn Bridge...maybe blah it's a bridge I don't get the draw

ha, i drive over this bridge a few times a week and i've never had the desire to walk over it.

BEA2LS

i live in Jersey and have been to NYC many, many times.
I also think china town can be skipped, i think it's mostly junk, but i know a lot of people like it, it's just my opinion, some may like it, idk.
if you ever liked barbies i'd say go to the toys r us in times square... i think that store is amazing! i love times square in general, i love the lights and the crowds.
i think a lot of this is personal though.. different people tend to like different things.

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustleRose
i have to disagree with the chinatown suggestion. ughhhh. but i'm a nyc native so that's why my opinion is so biased.
smiles.gif

I didn't care about China Town when I lived in NYC but for cheap trinkets to give to friends, it can't be beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustleRose
ha, i drive over this bridge a few times a week and i've never had the desire to walk over it.

LOL