volumizing and moisturizing product recs

Sparklevixen81

okay here is the situation. I have thin, curly, fine hair that I have had some thinning issues with. I am looking to put moisture back in my hair(it is severly lacking), however I need something to help with volumizing/thickening also.

Any recs? I have garnier fructis fortifying shampoo, and paul mitchell's moisturizing shampoo as well, I am desperate for a new conditioner along the same lines!

thanks!

xsnowwhite

for thickening i like PUreologys blowdry amplify serum stuff (i totally forget the name sorry!!) and i also like herbal essences body envy line. I use the mousse most of the time.

As far as conditioners im not really sure...a paul mitchelle moisturizing one should be fine or if its intensly damaged/dry try a hair repair mask of some sort.

Beauty Mark

The Big Sexy Hair stuff actually worked, particularly the mousse.

Got2b 2 Sexy mousse actually works well with my hair when I'm willing to put forth the effort.

dmenchi

first try using a claryfying shampoo to get rid of all the build up(and use it every two weeks) ,then i suggest this mask once or twice weekly.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1215/500342
It's soo good ,i have really long layered and dyed hair and people always compliment on how healthy/shiny my hair looks. My DH agrees
smiles.gif

you might want to leave it in only 5 min as not to make ypour hair limp...also for thin hair leave in conditioners are really great as they are very light and leave no waxy residues...Beware of silicones, they can make your hair feel fantastic ,but you can easily look deflated and even greasy...
The garnier fruity- tooty shamppoos and condtioners are packed with bad ingredients and irritants that you might want to avoid- try the l'oreal regular shampoos( not from a pro-store) or even panthene is affortable and good as long as you use the cleansing to prevent build -up!

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmenchi
f panthene is affortable and good as long as you use the cleansing to prevent build -up!

Pantene is full of unnecessary waxes and silicones that make your hair feel shiny, but actually destroy the hair shaft. I'd stay away from Pantene.

For moisture try TiGi's Moisture Maniac shamp and conditioner- absolutely lovely if you have dry hair. For the damage (or even just to strengthen it) try Joico's Reconstructing Treatment- seriously, magic in a tube.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
Pantene is full of unnecessary waxes and silicones that make your hair feel shiny, but actually destroy the hair shaft. I'd stay away from Pantene.

For moisture try TiGi's Moisture Maniac shamp and conditioner- absolutely lovely if you have dry hair. For the damage (or even just to strengthen it) try Joico's Reconstructing Treatment- seriously, magic in a tube.

THANK YOU! lol...Pantene is seriously a truly horrible product. It causes so much build-up...its just horrible.

I can't give exact recommendations, but maybe stay away from oils/serums if you're looking for volume...go for a volumizing mousse and hairspray (you can always tease your hair, too, then backcomb to smooth it out)

new era 2000 (i think thats the exact name) makes a deep conditioner that works great. i will look into the specific name for you

if your hair is very damaged and thinning, i might also suggest getting hair vitamins. My hair started falling out and thinning and getting damaged years ago, and I began taking GNC Ultra Nourishhair vitamins....they are inexpensive but I swear by them (it is $10 for a month's supply)

dmenchi

This is a little extreme- on what do you base this fact. frist of all pantnen offers a variety of products of which ,certain products do contain a lot of silicones and conditioning agents but they coat the hair and don't 'enter' the hair shaft. Their line has nummerous products that are unecessary , but some that are coparable or even outshine more expensive salon products. As a consumer one is should read ingredientlists and be aware of the most common chemicals and their use.
hmm.gif
and as it comes to any conditioning agent ,there will be build up no matter what product you use( as the 'conditioning' part is the deposit or coating hair with chemicals) that should be regulary removed as it will leave hair limp and not exactly lustrous.
smiles.gif
but that's just my five cents
smiles.gif

Dizzy

Quote:

This is a little extreme- on what do you base this fact. frist of all pantnen offers a variety of products of which ,certain products do contain a lot of silicones and conditioning agents but they coat the hair and don't 'enter' the hair shaft. Their line has nummerous products that are unecessary , but some that are coparable or even outshine more expensive salon products. As a consumer one is should read ingredientlists and be aware of the most common chemicals and their use.
hmm.gif
and as it comes to any conditioning agent ,there will be build up no matter what product you use( as the 'conditioning' part is the deposit or coating hair with chemicals) that should be regulary removed as it will leave hair limp and not exactly lustrous.
smiles.gif
but that's just my five cents
smiles.gif

Look at the ingredients list- in all products the list goes from the ingredients that are the base for it (used the most) to the ones that are normally fillers (things like foaming agents, fragrance, color extracts, etc.). The first ones on Pantene's products are normally panthenol and panthenyl- pure wax, used commonly in floor wax. The problem with this is that since the hair shaft is shaped in a scale fashion (akin to fish scales), this coats the hair shaft more than normal conditioners do.

The problem with this is now that the dirt trapped in between the scales in the shaft will not be removed properly without some sort of clarifying shampoo- which we know also remove oils from the hair that are beneficial to the hair. So now the client is clarifying their hair more than once a week (which unless the client has horribly oily hair will only strip the hair further of everything it needs), but their hair won't be as shiny/healthy looking.

If they don't clarify, then there's a build up of wax on their hair which traps the shaft and doesn't allow it to open (ie in warm water) or close (in cold water) as it's intended. Keeping color and moisture will be next to impossible, and having "normal" healthy looking hair will be harder to achieve. Not to mention how much more damage will be had by heat styling on the wax since the wax keeps the hair from reacting naturally to warm temperatures.

And that's just the fast version of it. There ARE good drugstore brands out there- Garnier, Dove, and Tresemme are all damn good. It's not a matter of drugstore vs. "salon" brands, but rather a particular brand that has an amazing marketing team supporting an inferior product vs. what it actually does.

Just my two cents, from experience working in a salon.
smiles.gif

Sparklevixen81

cantafford MAC- I used Andrew Lessman's Hair skin and nails vitamins, they are pricey but help if you are looking to change your vitamins at any point in time.

Dizzy--what ingredients should I look for in a hair product? Other than making sure it does not have water and alcohol as the top two ingredients together, I am clueless!

thanks!

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklevixen81
cantafford MAC- I used Andrew Lessman's Hair skin and nails vitamins, they are pricey but help if you are looking to change your vitamins at any point in time.

Dizzy--what ingredients should I look for in a hair product? Other than making sure it does not have water and alcohol as the top two ingredients together, I am clueless!

thanks!

hey thanks! I have really been slacking with my own vitamins but I should start taking them again
smiles.gif

CantAffordMAC

Quote:

Look at the ingredients list- in all products the list goes from the ingredients that are the base for it (used the most) to the ones that are normally fillers (things like foaming agents, fragrance, color extracts, etc.). The first ones on Pantene's products are normally panthenol and panthenyl- pure wax, used commonly in floor wax. The problem with this is that since the hair shaft is shaped in a scale fashion (akin to fish scales), this coats the hair shaft more than normal conditioners do.

The problem with this is now that the dirt trapped in between the scales in the shaft will not be removed properly without some sort of clarifying shampoo- which we know also remove oils from the hair that are beneficial to the hair. So now the client is clarifying their hair more than once a week (which unless the client has horribly oily hair will only strip the hair further of everything it needs), but their hair won't be as shiny/healthy looking.

If they don't clarify, then there's a build up of wax on their hair which traps the shaft and doesn't allow it to open (ie in warm water) or close (in cold water) as it's intended. Keeping color and moisture will be next to impossible, and having "normal" healthy looking hair will be harder to achieve. Not to mention how much more damage will be had by heat styling on the wax since the wax keeps the hair from reacting naturally to warm temperatures.

And that's just the fast version of it. There ARE good drugstore brands out there- Garnier, Dove, and Tresemme are all damn good. It's not a matter of drugstore vs. "salon" brands, but rather a particular brand that has an amazing marketing team supporting an inferior product vs. what it actually does.

Just my two cents, from experience working in a salon.
smiles.gif

Once again, thank you! I am still learning about certain products myself, but I work in a salon too, and have been around hair stylists and teachers for the past 3 years...pantene is not a good product.

on a side note...me and my family used to use Pantene awhile back (before cosmetology school
thmbup.gif
) and for some reason our shower became extremely slippery...like we had to actually buy no-slip mats for the shower floor, because the pantene made our shower slippery. LoL it sounds crazy, but this was the only time this had ever happened to us. I just remembered this story..i guess pantene causes build-up on whatever it touches
lmao.gif

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklevixen81

thanks!

Honestly, it's just trial and error. I mean, there are pro and super expensive brands that are not worth it either honestly. I will only use and recommend ones that are water based. My favorites (I rotate monthly) are Paul Mitchell, Joico, and Redken. If you're looking more drugstore, I'm find of Tresemme and Dove. Really, the best way to make your hair look great is to make sure that you use the least amount of alcohol, protect your hair when heat styling, regularly remove buildup, and keep a decent amount of protein in your diet.

Though be careful where you buy your products- professional lines have a huge problem with old or damaged product ending up in stores like CVS, Walgreens, etc. Then you could be using a product that is normally awesome, but has been sitting in a distributor's place for 5+ years and it's not quite up to par anymore, you know?

user79

Quote:

For moisture try TiGi's Moisture Maniac shamp and conditioner- absolutely lovely if you have dry hair.

No.

Just no.

I tried the Tigi Moisture Maniac (why is it even called that? It should be called Over-Perfumed Dry-Out shampoo) and it completely RUINED my scalp!!! I mean, it first of all dried out my hair and made my scalp so irritated and itchy that I got the worst dandruff of my life! And I have normal hair/scalp most of the time. I had to go to a pharmacy and get a special medicated anti-dandruff shampoo to clear it up, it took me 3 weeks to get my scalp back to normal.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHAMPOO!!!!

Pantene is better than TiGi even.

frocher

Kiehls silk groom. For a deep treatment, prick a vitamin E cap. and work it into the ends of your hair. Wear your hair up of the day, then shampoo out and condition. It really tames and moisturizes the ends.

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
No.

Just no.

I tried the Tigi Moisture Maniac (why is it even called that? It should be called Over-Perfumed Dry-Out shampoo) and it completely RUINED my scalp!!! I mean, it first of all dried out my hair and made my scalp so irritated and itchy that I got the worst dandruff of my life! And I have normal hair/scalp most of the time. I had to go to a pharmacy and get a special medicated anti-dandruff shampoo to clear it up, it took me 3 weeks to get my scalp back to normal.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHAMPOO!!!!

Pantene is better than TiGi even.

Perhaps you got a bad batch? (it happens) I've been using it for over a year and haven't had a problem with it (though I only use it once every three months or so- I rotate regularly).

That's a problem I've never heard of though, maybe you were allergic to something in it?

But honestly, nothing is worse than Pantene. I'd wash my hair with dishwashing soap before pantene.