want to be a part time makeup artist

Vivaglamluv

hi, i want to work at MAC but i have no cosmetic retail experience. i love MAC products and im practicing on my techniques. i heard that you have to go to school to become an employee but i dont want to drop my pre-med major. can anyone help me?

Kainiki

I don't think they mean that kind of school. I interviewed with MAC and I have limited retail experience and, lets just say my application techniques, are lacking
smiles.gif
. I have already finished college and have a B.A. in Psychology- not cosmetology etc. Anyway if I was willing to wait until January they were willing to hire me based on my interviews alone, they told me that when I was hired the would send me to Seattle for "MAC Bootcamp" which is a week to two week long school to learn more about MAC, MAC products and application techniques- As far as I know that is the school that you go to, not University.

giz2000

You go through MAC Basic Training when you are hired at a counter...as a freelancer, you're pretty much on your own...

galvanizer

MAC seems to hire for all different kinds of reasons, not just makeup experience. I've only been to one interview so far, but from what i learned, you might only need a stand-out personality to get hired. I was told that they used to hire just for makeup skills but they found that sometimes they ended up lacking in other areas (personality, sales...).

Whether or not you have past m/up experience though, I was told you'd get trained by them anyways in their own school. I would think that it helps keep the experience consistent throught the stores (hygiene, procedure, product knowledge...).

It doens't hurt to try and if it ends up that they thought you needed more experience, then you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

Some of the people interviewing us (group interview) had NO makeup experience when they started but now they're up in the ranks.

I would think knowledge and experience would be helpful, but just know that it's easier to teach makeup than it is to teach a good attitude. It might (appear to ) be different depending where you are, but where I am that seems to be the feel of it.

shabdebaz

I just started working for holiday contract at MAC. I really think they look at a number of things when hiring a candidate. You have to be passionate about makeup and the field of makeup artistry. You have to have a great personality. You definitely have to have a trendy look. I guess a makeup background or cosmetics sales would be helpful, but I don't think that is all they look at.