Wanting to go to cosmetology school...but I'm torn

zabbazooey

Okay, so I recently discovered that I loooove makeup and applying makeup, skincare, everything. I've gotten into the whole realm of cosmetology, and I'm thinking I may want to go to cosmetology school. I am currently going to school to be a teacher (1 class/semester, working FT, will never get done!). I love teaching and kids, but cosmetology school is another avenue I want to explore. I think I might like it more.

The problem is, my family thinks it is less prestigious than going to a 4 year school and getting a bachelor's. They want me to finish my B.S. in Education and THEN go to cosmetology school. Thing is, I won't graduate until 2011 at this rate. If I went to cosmetology school, I would go FT while my fiance worked (he moves up to MN Feb. 2009).

Is there any way to make this decision easier?

Paramnesia

I can't say I have any advice sorry, but I know how you feel. I'm currently starting my 3rd year of uni studying Biological Science but to be completely honest I prefer learning about make up and skincare. It's a hard decision I know.

lanaleigh

I wanted to go to cosmetology school, but parental pressure was applied, and I got a four year teaching degree instead. I work in cosmetics, but I've always been able to be a manager because of my education. I feel I wouldn't be "me" without my college education, but I also wish I had gotten my license, too.

So my conclusion is -- go to college if your parents are paying (like mine did), because it's a good opportunity. However, if you're paying, get your license, then you can always work your way through college if you want to go later. In these economic times, I think it's good to have a trade AND an education.

zabbazooey

Well, they're not paying (unfortunately!), but I'm working at a University, where I get deep discounts on tuition. I have bills to pay, and couldn't quit until my fiance moves up here. My thing is, I'm nervous about paying all that money to go to school just to get out and go to cosmetology school and spend MORE money.

SquirrelQueen

When I started nursing school, there was a student who really, really, REALLY wanted to go to cosmetology school instead but her father insisted that she become a nurse. He had all the reasons: nursing was more prestigious, his mother was a nurse, his sisters were all nurses, so his daughter HAD to become a nurse as well.

The girl was miserable. She didn't want to be a nurse and, while she did the work that was necessary, she went through all the angst that is nursing school for nothing---just to please her father. At the end of the first quarter, she dropped out---or maybe she flunked out---and went to cosmetology school, just as she had wanted to do in the first place.

When I think back about my former classmate, it seems such a shame to me---she went through all the angst that is nursing school, not because she wanted to be a nurse, but because her father insisted. Also, the program we were in was very competitive, so she was taking a slot away from someone who really wanted to be in that program.

The thing is, it's YOUR life. Yes, there are many advantages, personal and professional, to a bachelor's degree. But if you choose to quit your program and go to cosmetology school full-time, there's no reason you could not go back for a bachelor's degree in the future. It seems to me that if you follow your parents' plans for your life, you may never get the opportunity to do what you want. If you don't finish your bachelor's until 2011---it would be another year to do cosmetology school---that's putting your life off until 2012. You say you're engaged, so you'll likely be getting married before then---so that's another factor to consider.

BTW, if you love teaching, you could always teach in a cosmetology school---and I don't think you would need a bachelor's degree to do so.

Good luck to you in this.

KittieSparkles

My first advice is: Do what is in your heart because at the end of the day the decision that you make you have to live with it not any one else.

I was in the same situation you are in. I actually wanted to be a designer but my parents refused to support me if I went to school to become one. They thought that I was going to be a starving artist and I am too smart to have it my life thrown away (I am sure you heard that line too) So I told them fine I will go to cosmetology school because it is less time and cheaper (I went to NYU and tuition is an arm and a leg). They made my life a living hell so I caved in and went to school and got a bachelors degree, then a masters. After working in the corporate field for 6 years I finally cracked, quit my job and went to cosmetology school. For a while I was pissed at my parents that they pushed me and in my eyes made me waste not only my time but thousands of dollars going to school which I am still paying for. Now I am not so mad at them because of them forcing me to go to school I was able to go into a salon and work as a salon manager and make a salary not just make commission or minimum wage as most stylist do when they start out. After about a year I left and start my own business. So at the end for me it was a great thing that I went to college but there are other people that can and have made it with out the piece of paper.

thmbup.gif

zabbazooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittieSparkles
My first advice is: Do what is in your heart because at the end of the day the decision that you make you have to live with it not any one else.

I was in the same situation you are in. I actually wanted to be a designer but my parents refused to support me if I went to school to become one. They thought that I was going to be a starving artist and I am too smart to have it my life thrown away (I am sure you heard that line too) So I told them fine I will go to cosmetology school because it is less time and cheaper (I went to NYU and tuition is an arm and a leg). They made my life a living hell so I caved in and went to school and got a bachelors degree, then a masters. After working in the corporate field for 6 years I finally cracked, quit my job and went to cosmetology school. For a while I was pissed at my parents that they pushed me and in my eyes made me waste not only my time but thousands of dollars going to school which I am still paying for. Now I am not so mad at them because of them forcing me to go to school I was able to go into a salon and work as a salon manager and make a salary not just make commission or minimum wage as most stylist do when they start out. After about a year I left and start my own business. So at the end for me it was a great thing that I went to college but there are other people that can and have made it with out the piece of paper.

thmbup.gif

I've heard that too, that I am too "smart" to throw it away to cosmetology school. I just believe that not everyone is an academic
smiles.gif

I don't think it would be so bad if I could go to the U full time and crank out school. I really want to go to cosmetology school, but in today's job market, I would feel better going in with some sort of back up. But the benefits at my job (FREE school) are just too good to quit.

Thanks for talking through this with me! My parents and fiance just don't quite understand it...
smiles.gif

zabbazooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelQueen
When I started nursing school, there was a student who really, really, REALLY wanted to go to cosmetology school instead but her father insisted that she become a nurse. He had all the reasons: nursing was more prestigious, his mother was a nurse, his sisters were all nurses, so his daughter HAD to become a nurse as well.

The girl was miserable. She didn't want to be a nurse and, while she did the work that was necessary, she went through all the angst that is nursing school for nothing---just to please her father. At the end of the first quarter, she dropped out---or maybe she flunked out---and went to cosmetology school, just as she had wanted to do in the first place.

When I think back about my former classmate, it seems such a shame to me---she went through all the angst that is nursing school, not because she wanted to be a nurse, but because her father insisted. Also, the program we were in was very competitive, so she was taking a slot away from someone who really wanted to be in that program.

The thing is, it's YOUR life. Yes, there are many advantages, personal and professional, to a bachelor's degree. But if you choose to quit your program and go to cosmetology school full-time, there's no reason you could not go back for a bachelor's degree in the future. It seems to me that if you follow your parents' plans for your life, you may never get the opportunity to do what you want. If you don't finish your bachelor's until 2011---it would be another year to do cosmetology school---that's putting your life off until 2012. You say you're engaged, so you'll likely be getting married before then---so that's another factor to consider.

BTW, if you love teaching, you could always teach in a cosmetology school---and I don't think you would need a bachelor's degree to do so.

Good luck to you in this.

Thanks for your advice!

My parents aren't forcing me to go (as I am footing the bill hehe) but I can definitely feel the pressure. I love my major and teaching kids (Pre-K to 3rd) is really rewarding to me. But I don't know if it's want I want to do forever. I discovered that make-up (etc.) is my passion, and I want to explore that as well.

I'm only 20, which is a really confusing age. I have all this freedom and the resources to do what I want, and I don't KNOW what I want!

I think for me, I should probably just stick it out with school (going back FT in 2009 or '10 HOPEFULLY) and then pursue cosmetology school? It's a hard decision, because it's a lot of money lol.

x.DOLLYMiX.x

Hi there, Iam totally in the same boat as you but I made my decision. I was in my first year of Biomedical Science but secretly wanting to do cosmetology so I talked to my parents and bf about it my parents said I was too good for cosmetology school and I would not get a job in the industry bla bla bla. In the end I quit Biomedical Science and now Iam starting cosmetology school in September, my advice to you is follow your heart!!

cthea

I thought it would be a good idea to go to cosm school and use that training to work through college.
I graduated in 2003.
I just started back at college and cannot find a salon that will work around my school schedule.
Also, if you're thinking of going to beauty school because you're "not an acedemic" or you think its gonna be easier than a standard college... Woo boy! I would rather spend a million years at university than ever go through beauty school again! The studying you will do.....

Obvously, there's posters in the thread who have made it work for them - but there's always 2 sides to every story. Working through school while in the beauty industry didn't work for me, didn't work for my salon manager that had half a business degree, didn't work for tons of stylists I've worked with over the years... Maybe its just a Chicago thing, but once you're in the salon it sucks your life away. Also, if you're getting steep discounts on tuition, stick with it. I'm constantly worrying how I'm gonna pay for school on an inconsistant salary.

KittieSparkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthea
I thought it would be a good idea to go to cosm school and use that training to work through college.
I graduated in 2003.
I just started back at college and cannot find a salon that will work around my school schedule.
Also, if you're thinking of going to beauty school because you're "not an acedemic" or you think its gonna be easier than a standard college... Woo boy! I would rather spend a million years at university than ever go through beauty school again! The studying you will do.....

Obvously, there's posters in the thread who have made it work for them - but there's always 2 sides to every story. Working through school while in the beauty industry didn't work for me, didn't work for my salon manager that had half a business degree, didn't work for tons of stylists I've worked with over the years... Maybe its just a Chicago thing, but once you're in the salon it sucks your life away. Also, if you're getting steep discounts on tuition, stick with it. I'm constantly worrying how I'm gonna pay for school on an inconsistant salary.

I have to agree with you. Cosmo school is no walk in the park. I remember when I was there I used to argue with the instructor why in the world did I need to learn about electricity? Was I going to be an electrician or a cosmetologist??? Man, it was insane.
nonono.gif

I have also heard about people that have had it hard starting out but I have noticed it depends where you live. Like in VA where I live 50% of the time, the stylists here make crap money and my best friend always has a hard time with them working with her schedule (she actually had to quit her salon job because they would not let her change her schedule around to go have a very important surgery
ssad.gif
) but In NYC my friends that are stylist are living it up. They make good money and are all around happy.

zabbazooey

I didn't mean to say that cosmetology school was easy. What I meant that by "academic" is that a 4 year degree is not for everyone. I may not be the type of person that would be well suited to going to university for 4 years.

khmershortay

follow what your heart says

I went to school for 4 years, got my BA in Psychology, but couldn't find a job in that field either. Ive always wanted to go to Cosmetology school and finally decided to in March. I know hair/makeup is my passion, i just wished I didn't have to go with what my parents wanted (4 year degree). College does not gaurantee us a job right after we graduate, so now I wished I didnt waste all that money. I owe $60,000 and still paying it to this day, and didnt even get a job in my field i went to school for.
You can be very successful in the cosmetology field especially if you're passionate about it

MisStarrlight

I have a degree in Art Ed, went to makeup school (cosmetology doesn't focus on makeup/skin like I wanted to), and now I work at a bank (and am getting some financial licenses from there)...in addition to going to get my MSED in C&I in Art Ed.

And I'm only 23.

So what I'm saying is that if you enjoy your work in school, keep at it. There will be time for cosmetology/makeup later (I went the summer after I graduated college). Even if you get your degree and go right into teaching, there is always night courses in cosmetology. I don't know how it is in MN, but in NY, they offer part-time cosmo courses at night so you can keep a full time job as well....it takes almost 2 years to complete, but if it's something that you enjoy & passionate about, it will all come together.

It can't hurt having all of those extra qualifications-my random background is actually how I got the bank job-at a time when I was really really hurting for a job/money.

pixichik77

All I can say is my parents feel the same way (about 4 yr degrees) and I wanted my bachelor's as well.... So I am getting my BFA in wigs and makeup.

MiCHiE

Oh, man.....I have been there. I was older when I started college and I did, infact, drop out. I was bored with the curriculum so I dropped out of school, intending to do something that could "hold my attention, never got monotonous, and I could do for years", so I enrolled in cosmetology school. It was hard finding steady work at first, but as I continued to learn more and hone my skills, work and money came pouring in. Funny, I had gone in for hair and realized I was a natural born nail tech. There are just so many branches of Cosmetology and you never stop learning. My only advice would be to absorb like a sponge and most importantly, enjoy what you do. Everything else will fall into place.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

erine1881

i went to college for 4 years, and after changing my major twice, finished with a degree and didn't know what i wanted to do. i wasted (to me) all that time and money only to go to esthetics school three years later. i went nights PT (4 hours/night) and finished in less than a year. two months later i got hired doing what i always loved, working for a great company. this is what i want to do for the rest of my life and plan on moving up in the company and in the field of makeup artistry.

are you wanting to go cosmetology school or esthetics school? there is a big difference between the two. esthetics school takes about half the time cosmo school does, depending on where you live of course, and covers more indepth skincare and waxing then cosmo does (they cover more hair and basic skincare/waxing). i'm not sure how much makeup cosmo covers, but esthetics didn't cover much here cause you don't have to be licensed to do makeup where i live.

if you are wanting esthetic training, you can make alot of money (it's the same with cosmo training i'm sure). if you are in the right market, you can make a living working PT just waxing eyebrows (and most likely make more than teaching).

so, if you are paying for your education, do what you want to do! its your life, it doesn't matter what you family says. if you have more of a passion for makeup/skincare, do that! if teaching is more in your heart, do that! don't live your life revolving around what others want you to do. you'll only regret it in the end.

Bgirl17lovesMAC

I think you should listen to your parents. Cosmetology school is very costly, I know because I went and I paid a whole lot of money for it. I left college to persue this whole cosmetology thing and now I am just working as a receptionist in a small office b/c the jobs in the cosmetology field wont pay me enough to take care of myself and my daughter. And also cosmetology school is mostly for hair, and to be honest you only learn the basics. I say stay in college and do the cosmetology stuff on the side. That's what I do...

Loveleighe

The thing about it is... if is not your heart and soul you won't make a career out of it. If you are interested only bcus you think it's money and just want to do it for fun. you won't get what you need to out of it. I just went to school with a girl who graduated with a communications degree, all the women in her family are hair stylists so 1/2 way through it she decides it's bull because she didn't realize you don't necessarily make your own hours entry level. she wasted $6000 and now works at a radio station. once you graduate people fail to realize that in this industry the first couple years will be paying your dues. The salons that pay well are the ones that you will be assisting at for 2-3 years before they'll even consider you having your own chair. The people who are successful are getting clients, learning the business, and busting their asses bcus they know it's what they want. You get out of it only what you put in continue your education and learn everything you can. never stop even after the license is in your hand.. school don't necessarily teach more than basics, it's your job to continue learning and marketing yourself. I don't necessarily agree that cosmetology won't take care of your family.... I know A LOT of hairdressers who put in full-time work in a salon and have enough to provide for their kids and have nice things for themselves.
I get everyday from my mom that i am wasting my life and i'll never be succesful all because i decided college wasn't for me at the moment and i needed to go to cosmetology school to pursue my life's dream. Well i did it and i couldn't be happier, i'm going to makeup school, and also will be getting training to rep. companies like great lengths. I'm not making money but all the dedication i am putting in will eventually pay off. I think of it as soon as i'm great lengths certified i'll be able to pay off my school tuition with 2-3 clients or about 36 hours of work. I am a firm believer of following my heart... no one knows whats best for me... i have to figure it out for myself by trial and error if i fail it's my fault and i pick up the pieces and if i succeed the success is even sweeter because i did it despite everyone thinking i'd fail.

I do think that you should finish school first that way you have something to fall back on ... but ultimately it's your decision. i think the hard decisions are usually the most rewarding

Latest posts