[warning] This might be gross to some. . .

wolfsong

Its good to hear from someone who knows how serious it feels, and doesnt judge or condescend for 'overreacting'.

HOTasFCUK

I know everytime i feel like i'm going to be sick or run away from soemone who is, everyone calls me a baby and says "what are you going to do when you have kids?". Ewwww once my cousin was driving with me and he said pull over 'cuz he had to puke. I told him i'm sorry, i can't help you and close the damn van door. I then put the radio on full blast and stared straight ahead! Ahhhh i have a million stories, they actually make me laugh as long as its not happening to me!!!

Oh yeah and i always tell my parents that they never have to worry about me getting drunk, doing drugs, or even smoking because i'm scared i'll get sick! I've never even tried a cigarette out of fear of throwing up!

lipshock

You girls are amazing! Seriously, thank you all so much for your kind words (can't believe I didn't see all these responses earlier).

It's just great to know that there are other individuals out there that can truly understand where I am coming from. So many times I have been put down my friends who think it's a childish fear and that I need to "get over it." Responses like those are so hurtful to me because it made me believe for so long that I was "messed up" and needed to be fixed like some broken toy.

I appreciate all your thoughts and opinions, I really do. It means a lot that you all took the time out of your lives to respond and offer your advice, or even just your kind words.

Emetophobia is a ridiculously hard thing to live with, especially when I want to start a family so badly (when I finish school and such). I do not know what I am going to do when having to deal with possible morning sickness and the possibility my children getting sick.

Beauty Mark

Did you explain this to your boyfriend? Like a lot of things in life, there are people who have nothing wrong with them per se and others who have serious problems. I would let your boyfriend know about this. I have bouts of depression and go through periods of not eating because of stress and become uhealthily thin. You really have to spell things out to some people, because they might perceive the thinness, for instance, as a good thing or something minor.

I would also see if there's some kind of support group for this phobia, even if it's just internet, and really discuss all your fears about it with your therapist.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Did you explain this to your boyfriend? Like a lot of things in life, there are people who have nothing wrong with them per se and others who have serious problems. I would let your boyfriend know about this. I have bouts of depression and go through periods of not eating because of stress and become uhealthily thin. You really have to spell things out to some people, because they might perceive the thinness, for instance, as a good thing or something minor.

I would also see if there's some kind of support group for this phobia, even if it's just internet, and really discuss all your fears about it with your therapist.

Yes, I have told him. I told him upfront from the very beginning. He brushed it off as nothing until a couple of panic attacks at parties and at bars that caused me to nearly be taken to the hospital. My mother has sat down with him and talked with him about it as well. He doesn't view it as a little thing anymore but he still sometimes cannot understand. Which is to be expected.

After his little "episode", he has been unbelievably comforting and quite apologetic towards what happened.

wolfsong

You could ask your doctor to put you on anti-emetics as soon as you get pregnant, and for as long as you feel you need them. They do this for people that have really bad morning sickness (i cant remember the name of this condition right now), so im sure in your circumstances they would help you with that. It would be a good idea to ask anyway. As for the child being sick thing - babies spit up seems okay (white drool), but i dont know what it smells like and i havent actually been face to face with it - i just have a notion that its like spitting milk. What i worry most about is chunks - so much more terrible than clear liquid vomit (drunk people who havent eaten for ages). And as children get older that will only be more of a problem for me.

NutMeg

The condition you're referring to is called hyperemesis gravidarum (sp?), and yes there are anti-emetics you can take. And baby spit up isn't as bad as actual vomit, but it's still kind of gross so I would say that those of you with this condition would have a problem with it.

I have to say that I'm really sorry you guys have to live with this, it sounds pretty debilitating. I pass along some internet support for what it's worth.
th_cheerup.gif

HOTasFCUK

Are anti-emetics like gravol? Or more stronger? Actually my mother never once got morning sickness with me or my 2 brothers so i'm hoping i'll be the same way!

NutMeg

Yeah, Gravol is an anti-emetic. Basically anti-emetic refers to a drug that will relieve/mask/reduce nausea, there are just varying strengths. Depending on how severe the morning sickness is, they would give you a different strength. My aunt had severe hyperemesis gravidarum and had to have a pump in her stomach that continuously fed her the drugs... So basically there is a strong enough drug for almost every level of nausea. The drugs she got weren't strong enough for her, but she was an extremely severe case which I'm not going to discuss in this thread for the sake of those who are sensitive.
greengrin.gif
PM me if you're curious.

wolfsong

The anti-emetics i was on physically prevented me from vomiting - as in i couldnt heave etc, but did nothing for the nausea (which was bloody 24/7 except for the precious 4 hours every 3rd/4th night where my body would actually behave). I was on them for chronic insomnia related issues though, so i dont know about morning sickness ones (if they differ).

NutMeg

Actually, that's a good point about anti-emetics preventing vomiting but not nausea. I'm not really sure about the meds my aunt was on because her case was so severe that I'm not sure if they were supposed to prevent nausea as well and didn't just because of the situation, or if they weren't intended to do so in the first place. Sorry for the confusion.

wolfsong

It may have been for both - some meds are meant to settle the stomach (sea sickness/travel sickness tablets etc).
Anything with ginger/ginger extract would also help - its well known for its anti-nausea properties.

Latest posts