We worry about our makeup being animal testing free....

slowdownbaby

I just HATE the way that people doesn't care for these beings.. How can a person think hurting an animal isn't wrong? They feel pain too, the same kind of pain that a human being would feel if they were stuck in a cage where they couldn't move and being tested and tortured to death!
If cosmetic companies want so bad to test their newest products why don't they test it on people who agree to be tested? And if theres hundreds of companies that don't need to test, why are they still testing? It's crazy!
I'm a vegetarian. I can't even look at meat. Or fish. I saw what they do to dogs and monkeys.. I couldn't stop crying for days... How can they do such things? And I'm not just talking about the cosmetic companies, but the fur industry, which is crazier! When I see celebrities wearing fur I go nuts! I love what PETA do to humiliate them, some people say it's wrong, well, if they weren't wearing a tortured dead animal, these things wouldn't be happening to them.

User27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdownbaby
And I'm not just talking about the cosmetic companies, but the fur industry, which is crazier! When I see celebrities wearing fur I go nuts! I love what PETA do to humiliate them, some people say it's wrong, well, if they weren't wearing a tortured dead animal, these things wouldn't be happening to them.

Be careful with PETA, I pick and choose my associations with them. Some of the things they expect out of you are a little bit on the radical side.....two weeks ago they had a meet and greet at a KFC downtown and I won't go to those. Some moron will take it too far and make it a huge protest to the point people are completely terrified and they aim to make the news.....went once and never again. Peaceful and organized protesting I'm into because I have no desire to go to jail nor am I a bully.

There's a woman I'm a huuuuge fan of Dita Von Teese who has done ads for PETA's animal birth control campaign. They were a little hypocritical to have her be an advocate if they really have the views they do about the fur industry. No offense but they made a game about Jennifer Lopez called Stop the Fur Ho but they also chose somebody with a collection of vintage furs to be affiliated with them. I love her to death but PETA can't just overlook their views to have a person's name linked to them....it's like saying hey, we'll overlook that you wear dead animals because you'll be another highly recognized spokesperson. It doesn't matter to me that she was there for animal birth control and not fur wearing...they need to decide which side to stick to because there's more than just that one slip up.

Von Teese still wears fur despite Peta ads | Stuff.co.nz

slowdownbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casadalinnis
Be careful with PETA, I pick and choose my associations with them. Some of the things they expect out of you are a little bit on the radical side.....two weeks ago they had a meet and greet at a KFC downtown and I won't go to those. Some moron will take it too far and make it a huge protest to the point people are completely terrified and they aim to make the news.....went once and never again. Peaceful and organized protesting I'm into because I have no desire to go to jail nor am I a bully.

There's a woman I'm a huuuuge fan of Dita Von Teese who has done ads for PETA's animal birth control campaign. They were a little hypocritical to have her be an advocate if they really have the views they do about the fur industry. No offense but they made a game about Jennifer Lopez called Stop the Fur Ho but they also chose somebody with a collection of vintage furs to be affiliated with them. I love her to death but PETA can't just overlook their views to have a person's name linked to them....it's like saying hey, we'll overlook that you wear dead animals because you'll be another highly recognized spokesperson. It doesn't matter to me that she was there for animal birth control and not fur wearing...they need to decide which side to stick to because there's more than just that one slip up.

Von Teese still wears fur despite Peta ads | Stuff.co.nz

I didn't know that!
Sometimes they can be really harsh and do things that aren't necessary,but I'm so appreciated for the work they have done \:
I didn't like what they did to Jessica Simpson when she wore that t-shirt " Real Women eat meat", the comments Pamela Anderson made were totally rude!

Mabelle

Peta relies so much on extremism and shock tactics that i think it makes anyone that is into animal rights look like a nutter.
I've often been asked if im one of those peta crazies (while the person rolls there eyes). I absolutely am not. I think that because of their tactics people don't take the movement seriously.

I much prefer organizations like the humane society, WSPA, and WWF.

I do admit they do some good work, but on the whole they are crude, obnoxious and detrimental to the cause.

User27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
Peta relies so much on extremism and shock tactics that i think it makes anyone that is into animal rights look like a nutter.
I've often been asked if im one of those peta crazies (while the person rolls there eyes). I absolutely am not. I think that because of their tactics people don't take the movement seriously.

I much prefer organizations like the humane society, WSPA, and WWF.

I do admit they do some good work, but on the whole they are crude, obnoxious and detrimental to the cause.

A few years ago it was arranged that me and PETA members of my campus sticker the SGA board with all these a fish is your friend, and a nugget is not food things. We come to find out that board you have to SGA approval to post anything on and our campus security catches us 4 buildings in. A meeting with the dean left me one of the most watched people on my campus because this was a 2nd offense, one being non PETA related, but when I expained to PETA what happened; they had no care past did you get it done. They're willing to send more stickers to my friends who joined because they thought I was doing the right thing yet had no care if I got kicked off my campus. It was my wake up call and I only sign petitions I agree with but if it doesn't match my views fully...I can't do it. I just signed the Barnum and Bailey circus thing because it was clearly animal abuse but KFC attacks are not my thing and I never tell people what to do. You eat a cheesesteak, your choice...so does my fiance.

I'm not here to make people see things my way nor ever attack them and PETA does that sometimes. To this day in my closet somewhere is the Save 99 and cat boiling videos they lured me in with but I started studying them during the campus dilemma and hated the end result. Vice president is a hypocrite, they're spokespeople are hypocrites. I hated what they put Christina Ricci through over the fur thing because it was psychotic and they do that a lot to celebrities and I respect Pamela Anderson for her charity work but not for her ignorance to others. People have to say okay, people can live how they want without cramming their lifestyle down someone's throat...I own no fur but that's my choice. Someone else wants to wear it, that's their choice and they don't need to answer to me for it. I'm proud to say I've never thrown paint on anybody wearing it and have a clean record. XD

Mabelle

i have to disagree on the wearing fur is your choice. it shouldn't be a choice. fur is no longer to keep you warm over winter. it's for vanity. And i dont think anyone should have the right to choose to wear a skinned animal for fashion. Why can't i wear human skin for fashion then? Oh, thats right, because that would be cruel and inhumane. And i would be considered insane, sick and maybe even a danger to society.
I dont understand how the fur industry is allowed to exist. it's disgusting and anyone that chooses to wear fur is a moron. i fully stand by that. they are a moron.

User27

Quote:
i have to disagree on the wearing fur is your choice. it shouldn't be a choice. fur is no longer to keep you warm over winter. it's for vanity. And i dont think anyone should have the right to choose to wear a skinned animal for fashion. Why can't i wear human skin for fashion then? Oh, thats right, because that would be cruel and inhumane. And i would be considered insane, sick and maybe even a danger to society.
I dont understand how the fur industry is allowed to exist. it's disgusting and anyone that chooses to wear fur is a moron. i fully stand by that. they are a moron.

I've just come to accept that fur will sell and we're powerless to stop it. I wish people made the same choice you or I do not to wear it or at least wear faux fur but with a coat costing thousands of dollars; it seems like a lost cause when people are still buying. I do believe the people are morons who wear it because there's honestly nothing attractive about wearing dead animal on your body. My neighbor before I moved here had these pets called chinchillas and they were so adorable and she taught me about cleaning them in volcanic ash...and I found out they were able to be made into coats and it disgusted me to all end that someone could do that. As long as the fashion industry removes the hype, they'll stop selling but you're right; people are too vain to do so. It would be great if the world would realize it but we're not going to see it in our lifetime more likely than not. It would be great if we could though.

Mabelle

i think we might see the fur industry greatly weakened.

I mean, think about 50 years ago how popular and glam fur was.... by today's standards its hardly seen. yes there are the idiots like nicole richie who think its "way awesome and vintage" ( or jlo with her stupid fur bikini!!) and thats all that matters, but there are a lot of celbs that are definitively anti fur.

I dont think the fur industry will ever crumble, but we can kick in in the shins (with doc martins on!) a lot.

User27

^^^Happy thought is people who posted on that animal cruelty free thread for makeup lines probably lean to fur free as well since they care about the animals. I think it would be amazing to see how many on this site are actually fur free.....there's you and me but there's got to be a slew of others because there's a lot who say they use MAC for them being animal testing free. As well as the recycling program and Viva Glam so there are aware customers that use this line. Loved the Doc Martins reference because god, those are painful in mosh pits. XD

We're not celebs but the celebs rely on us liking them to have a career so it's got to be an ego blast to see your fans hate on you for wearing the carcasses you do. I can honestly say nobody in my family has ever bought or worn fur because all the women thought it was tacky and I've always agreed...or at least during my lifetime. Nicole Richie lies about why she wears it....it's the only thing that will ever make her look like she has meat on her bones. Ooops but she really is a simpleton. Now Dita irked me with that because I've always thought she was amazing but she lost some respect with that ordeal.

JULIA

Quote:
Why can't i wear human skin for fashion then? Oh, thats right, because that would be cruel and inhumane. And i would be considered insane, sick and maybe even a danger to society.

This exact thought sits on my brain day in, and day out. I seriously do not understand how people convince themselves that a person's life is far more valuable than an animal's. How can a woman walk around with a dead tiger on her body and feel pretty? Do you know how that poor thing was killed? How can that person sleep soundly at night? Like I said in an earlier post, the thing that haunts me the most is that we have an entire meat industry that's dedicated to manufacturing livestock. Can you believe it's 2009? People are still using cats and dogs as bait for sharks.

JULIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdownbaby
I love what PETA do to humiliate them, some people say it's wrong, well, if they weren't wearing a tortured dead animal, these things wouldn't be happening to them.

Ahh, PETA. They're also the crazy org. that doesn't believe in house pets either.

Quote:
PETA has opted to “put down” 21,339 adoptable dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens instead of finding homes for them.

PETA does jack for animals, they just have this weird agenda where they go around and throw paint on people. I'd rather help a cause that's actually working for animals rights and not shoving pregnant women in cages to make headlines.

Mabelle

ah yes, animal slavery.
my cat (who runs my house) is currently sleeping in her little circus tent, curled up like the queen she is. what a horrible life.
she is spoiled beyond belief. We saved her from a shelter. We payed for 2 knee operations that she needed (over 3000$). We payed to have her tail repaired (it would have been amputated otherwise). a root canal. Our family treats her exactly like any other member, hell, maybe better. But no, that is comparable to slavery right. Just like adopting children is like slavery. BEcause thats what Mojo is. She's a family member. She's not some object here to bring me joy. She is a smart, wonderful, beautiful animal that i have the honour to share my home with. I truly do feel blessed to have her in my life, and i think she has helped to make me a better person. But no, that's exactly like slavery!! What a horrible life! we should have left her in the shelter to be put down.

peta is a bunch of extremist assholes. They make no fucking sense. And like all extremists, they are fools.

User27

Your cat has it better than ours....the pregnant stray wants her kittens under our bed and moves them back if we try to re-situate them. All night long I hear kitten mews if they're awake and they're already playing so we're always having to check for kitten activity before we get out of bed. We're going to push it and keep 2 of the kittens and we've been talking about looking into renting a house with the amount we pay here, it makes sense. In the end, we'll have 4 cats but they're all taken care of and I've pitched the 3 kittens I could onto friends so I can stay visiting.

I never got the logic they spew about pets being slaves because my cat Azrael is pampered and spoiled. She's the type who only kisses up to us when she wants something, but she wouldn't know to do that unless she was successful in the past with it. I would never do this but if someone was to take that same pet and put it back into the wild, my bet is that they'd want to be where they originally were with no fears and knowing they didn't struggle to survive. Even our cat Mogwai we took in, she spent a week going to our patio door trying to get out and after that it was like pet me, cuddle me and give me kitty treats. She got past the fear of us and now she's comfortable here and acts like she's been here for years.

PETA is really full of shit for putting that idea out there and JULIA's right, their programs did cause a lot of deaths but you know them....they're there for the animals. They're also there for manipulating people into the cult. I'm aware cats are eaten in foreign countries but you show the video of a man skinning it and boiling it to a person who loves animals and then say oh can you give us your e-mail so we can sign you up for the street team and have you fill out paperwork, that's kind of underhanded and sneaky. The girl that recruited me saw me with tears in my eyes half way through the vid and was telling me how much PETA does to change the world....and I was like can they really stop what I just saw and signed. She also let me know cats were boiled for making beauty soaps to top it off but she didn't lie to me about that part at least. Next thing I know two summers of street team work and I can't do the same tactic to people and I don't consider myself a failure but damn if they still don't try to get me back involved with them weekly. Ingrid Newkirk shows up in my e-mail, it gets a 50/50 chance of being read based on subject line.

I do consider myself a fool because I should have researched the group instead of letting them play on emotion. I honestly have little respect for them and my sister brags to her vegan friends how much work I did for them and then they want to get active and I warn them not to the way I wish someone had warned me. If anybody gets a chance, there's an interesting Penn and Teller video about PETA that was on their show....I found it pretty onpoint.

staceb1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casadalinnis
If anybody gets a chance, there's an interesting Penn and Teller video about PETA that was on their show....I found it pretty onpoint.

Oh gosh, I've been obsessed with their Showtime show lately, they're so funny.

Merula

I volunteer for homeless cats every other week at Petsmart. The other day I tried saving a month old kitten from a tree, but not having a ladder, the place being in a dark empty commercial area, not having a car and it being 9pm meant I had no way of getting it down. It ended up going higher up the tree. “Friends” weren’t answering the phone, and Animal Control told me that since it could move and it was a cat, it’s a “stray” and no one was going to be sent. I was crushed, I cried all night.

I’m extremely emotional, and I try to make good dietary choices not only for my health but for what’s right. Now I eat meat, I’m not vegan, but I still try to be mindful. I know the practices of the food industry (I’ve read Michael Polan’s book and other documentaries) and watching baby chickens thrown alive to a meat grinder on HuffPost just broke me down. Of course they get disposed of because they don’t grow fast enough like female chickens, so their misery is instantaneously ended. The callousness at which the industry runs on is mind-blowing.

I had an acquaintance who applied for a job at a university. It was an area where they did animal testing for medicines. He was so disturbed by it that he didn’t get the job, even tho it paid well and all he had to do was clean the areas. It was odd, seeing someone who doesn’t mind watching actual videos of human suffering, killings and gore, one who acted like a total-jerk be completely moved by another species suffering infront of him. He mellowed out after that.

kabuki_KILLER

I'm against malicious, unwarranted violence, especially if it has no purpose. The world is cruel, especially humans. We all compete for the best resources, but I don't see what someone can gain from kicking their pet in the ribs. If you don't like your pet, don't adopt it, or give it to someone who does. Karma will hit those tards right between the eyes someday.

I believe everyone should stand up for what they believe in, regardless of how silly it sounds, even if people laugh at you. Just keep a clear head and don't let your emotions take a hold of reason. Don't throw your credibility out the window by doing anything too rash.

L1LMAMAJ

it makes me so sad to see abused animals like that. our family friend adopted a german shepherd years ago that lived in an abusive home. the owner would kick it and hurt it whenever they wanted. the dog was deathly afraid of humans. when i went over and i tried to pet it and play with it, he would run away. i don't know what happened to it but that dog will always be in my memory. poor guy.
ssad.gif

Pinupsundae

This is sort of related, but perhaps not as directly as some other comments, but I get my panties in a real twist over cat haters. Let me explain, if you don't much like cats that's fine and totally your choice, if you don't like animals at all that's your choice too. However, there is something about cats in particular that seems to inspire such hatred from people who don't like them. I have a cat and I love her to pieces and really am not a dog person, but I would never ever suggest that people's dogs were pests and deserved to be shot or shouldn't be kept as pets. I see bumper stickers like 'Lost your cat? Look under my wheels' and wonder how that would go down if it was referring to dogs...It really sickens me.
ssad.gif

Additionally, I have a pure bred cat, she's a British Blue Short Hair. I got her as a kitten from the most lovely breeder who had a property up in the hills with big spacious cages outside for them to roam in, plenty of entertainment etc., she obviously cared a lot about her cats. She actually told me she'd decided not to sell kittens to numerous families because she didn't like their attitudes etc. So yeah, just pointing out that some breeders do really care about the animals they raise, not that there aren't also others out there just in it for profit. Additionally, I did want to adopt from a rescue shelter, but at the time it wasn't really kitten season. Yet, people seem to act like I've done something abhorrent by buying a purebreed instead when the other option wasn't really available to me and that does hurt my feelings a little. I'm not a bad person just because my little fluffy bundle of joy came from somewhere different.
ssad.gif

hello_kitty

^^^ I 110% agree with you!

I cannot stand the cat hate as well. I hate dogs, but I would never wish harm upon one. That is just cruel! Just because I personally hate them doesn't mean they should be killed or abused, and I expect the same respect like that towards cats.

My grandma's husband is an asshole and is one of those cat haters. My cat was sick this past winter, and my parents were down helping out my grandma and asshole, and my mom mentioned that my cat was sick and he said "I hope it dies." My mom said to his face "Well, we're all hoping you hurry up and die as well." When my mom called to tell me this I actually got tears because I couldn't believe anybody could say that about someone's pet. I hope I never have to see him alive in person ever again because I am not one to hide my feelings!

I agree with you on the purebred thing as well. I have two purebred bengals, and people act like it's a sin I didn't go to a shelter. First off, my Sammie IS a rescue! She was in a foster home when I adopted her! Our newest member of the family, Ari, we did get from a breeder, and I do not regret that decision. Nearly all the bengal breeders I know of that are legitimate raise and care for their litters like members of their own families and are very particular about who the cats go to and require extensive contracts. Not all breeders are evil kitten/puppy farmers, but unfortunately they have that stigma. If the time comes when I decide to add another cat, it is certain it will most likely be another purebred as well, maybe another rescue or maybe through a breeder. If that makes me evil, well...

Anyways, haha... we hijacked with the cat chat, sorry!

Oh, and PETA is absolutely retarded! They do more harm than they'll ever do good.

paperfishies

I live in Louisville, Kentucky...YUM headquarters is here and KFC's are everywhere. PETA is ALWAYS protesting. These assholes are relentless. I have seen them scream and yell at small children who were entering KFC with their parents. They would hold up signs of dead and mangled chickens and try and get the kids to look at the signs. The female protesters will wear skimpy bikinis to try and get noticed. It's utterly ridiculous.
PETA's latest scare tactic. They handed out happy meals to kids at a McDonalds and in the Happy Meal was a bloodied Ronald McDonald doll and PETA propaganda.

IMO, PETA is a terrorist organization and should be treated as one. They don't give two shits about any animal. They care about being in the media. Ingrid Newkirk is the BIGGEST hypocrite out there. She doesn't believe animals, (dogs, cats, domesticated animals) should be kept as pets. Yet they kiss the asses of celebrities like Pam Anderson who has several dogs. If PETA truly cared about animals, they would become an organization like the SPCA.

As for fur, what a huge waste of money. If someone wants to spend $50k on a fur coat, they obviously have more money than common sense. I can't really speak against the fur industry because I eat meat, everyday and I know those animals, just like the animals killed for fur and treated the same, if not worse.
Why can't we wear human skin? Um, seriously? It's because humans are valued more than other animals, over all. We don't eat humans, so we wouldn't wear humans, either.

Zoo's are actually great places. MANY zoos around the world work tirelessly on trying to save endangered species and species that are literally on the brink of extinction. Zoos, are AMAZING learning tools, especially for young people. I take my 6 year old daughter to the zoo often. This has sparked a great interest in animals, in her. Zoo's are amazing tools for opening up people's eyes to a whole new world.

Many zoo's are also animal rehabilitation centers, where people can take injured wild animals. The animals will be rehabilitated and released back into the wild. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes at Zoo's that you wouldn't know about unless you worked at one or knew someone who worked at one. Hell most zoo animals are treated far better than the majority of humans are treated.
Our zoo here in my city also does a lot to help the environment, everything is recycled, they have a ton of "butterfly gardens" and green space. they plant tons of trees every year.
I can see someone having a problem with Circuses because those are just ridiculous and serve no purpose other than human entertainment and those animals ARE treated like shit. But zoo's are a completely different story. If it weren't for zoo's around the world, MANY species that are making a come back population wise, would be completely extinct.

Latest posts