wedding foundation...

alurabella

First off- hi! I'm new here.
smiles.gif
I was recommended to this glorious site by a friend.

Now, for my dilemma. I was thinking about trying two foundations... Mac Studio Fix, and Estee Lauder's Maximum cover. I have oily/combo skin, and have a problem with acne, so I figured those two would provide good coverage.

My question... I heard that the Mac Studio Fix washes your face out in flash photography... does anyone know if this is true?

And does anyone else have any recommendations for other wedding makeup?

user3

Any foundation with SPF will wash out in photos.

I would suggest getting a drugstore foundation. Since chances are you won't be using the foundation again.

For many weddings I use CoverGirl Continuous Wear foundation. It's oil free and it will last through your wedding and photos.

Almay nearly naked concealer is nice because it can cover without looking heavy.

Now the trick to not having a different color neck in your pics is to apply powder to the neck, shoulder and chest area. The reason is the light will reflect off your face from the powder and foundation causing the two toned look. If you dust powder on the neck, shoulders and chest area you can avoid that problem.

Also when picking a powder you need to pic one that is either your skin color or just a bit darker. Don't get a translucent one. This will also cause the washed out look in pics. Also try to avoid ones with small bits of shimmer.

Keep your makeup natural and simple. Remember you will have this pics for a lifetime! The classic look never changes!
Plenty of mascara will help bring out your eyes in the pics. Also don't go for too dark a lip color. Avoid major glossy colors.

Sushi_Flower

Good tips there Nessa, though the using drugstore foundation for Wedding puzzles. Surely people want the best quality and more expensive foundation for the day they want to look better than any other day in their life? Also for people like me who are darker, using drug store foundation is out of the question for normal days, nevermind the biggest day of your life, as they don't cater for us or just provide orange shades
ssad.gif

Also have you get on tips on keeping makeup put? Because in my culture our weddings end in a big cry-athon for the bride with her family and friends (as she is seen as leaving her family at the end of the wedding) and they really do cry loads and LOADS - would it be possible to even salvage makeup in that event in any way or should a bride just let it get messed up and touch up later? I'm not getting married but for me (and many other people i know) this would be a major problem as my concealer would come off and i have really bad eye circles and would hate to have them showing at my wedding..coupled with running mascara and mixture of eye shadow colours! I'd look worse than normal rather than better on my wedding day! lol!

shamelessmuse

I love Bare Minerals and it photographs very well, the mineral veil that you use gives a nice diffused glow in photos. It also is great with combo skin as it will help absorb oil (I have terrible combo skin). It does take a little getting used to as it isn't a traditional fluid makeup. However, I have had great luck with it. It also allows a buildable coverage with out caking, so you can easily camo blemishes. It also is easy to touch up when you have streaks from tears. I cut half my finger tip off and was crying like a two year old, but was able to touch my makeup up in seconds
winks.gif
by just buffing a little in the areas that streaked.

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_Flower
Good tips there Nessa, though the using drugstore foundation for Wedding puzzles. Surely people want the best quality and more expensive foundation for the day they want to look better than any other day in their life? Also for people like me who are darker, using drug store foundation is out of the question for normal days, nevermind the biggest day of your life, as they don't cater for us or just provide orange shades
ssad.gif

Also have you get on tips on keeping makeup put? Because in my culture our weddings end in a big cry-athon for the bride with her family and friends (as she is seen as leaving her family at the end of the wedding) and they really do cry loads and LOADS - would it be possible to even salvage makeup in that event in any way or should a bride just let it get messed up and touch up later? I'm not getting married but for me (and many other people i know) this would be a major problem as my concealer would come off and i have really bad eye circles and would hate to have them showing at my wedding..coupled with running mascara and mixture of eye shadow colours! I'd look worse than normal rather than better on my wedding day! lol!

Acutally I used d/s foundation for my wedding and I use it on many brides.
I do about 4 brides a month and each time the foundation in the photos come out looking great.
High end does not always mean you are getting a better product, at least when it comes to foundations.
I will agree that most High end is better than low end but it's not always the best in certain cases.
There are a few drugstore lines that carry darker shades and there are a few lines that are made just for darker skin types.

I can look through my files and find info for you on darker shades and higher end foundations good for wedding days or special days.
I also have tips to make the foundation other makeup stay put.
Right now I gotta jet but I'll post the info soon.

As for BE
While I love using BE for everyday I do not rec it for wedding photos as it is mostly SPF and this can give you that lighter face effect I spoke about.
5 Months ago a lady insisted I use BE on her. Sadly her photos came out off colored for her face. I tried everything possible to off set that effect but with the high content of SPF it's almost impossible. While she did have a great "glow" her face was a totally different color from the rest of her, even with the neck shoulder application. Since the face is naturally lighter on most people this often happens with SPF foundations.

bluegrassbabe

I use MAC studio tech on a majority of brides. It looks great both in photos and in person as well.

Ditto on everything else Nessa posted.

Henna_Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_Flower
..... Because in my culture our weddings end in a big cry-athon for the bride with her family and friends (as she is seen as leaving her family at the end of the wedding) and they really do cry loads and LOADS ....

I mainly do asian bridal make-up and have had no problems at all with fading foundation or concealer dissapearing lol.
Alot the brides that come to me want a flwaaless yet sheer coverage and i found that Hyper Real was the perfect choice. I use mac tube concealer thingies and they haven't failed on me lol
I always make sure that the mascare & eyeliner are waterproof and always use a primer for eyeshadows and pigments.

i LOVE doing asian weddings and it's so much fn being part of it. I usually hang around for the bride to have her second change for the reception and most of the time the make-up still looks great even after so many hours after all those ceremonies
greengrin.gif

Nessa, if you have any more tips and tricks do share!
greengrin.gif

lara

Quote:
Any foundation with SPF will wash out in photos.

Yes and no, depending on the sunscreen itself. Most SPF foundations now are switching over to chemical sunscreens that don't reflect back like the older porcelain/zinc foundations did. In a few years, I don't think new make-up artists will even have to know about the tricks needed to make older-style SPF foundation work under lights.

Generally it comes down to two things - you can look amazing in person and great in your photographs, or great in person but amazing in photographs. 99% of brides will go for the latter.

If you want to try those foundations, go and get them applied to you. Then go stand out in the sun and look at your face in a compact mirror, walk around for a while to get a sweat up, look and check again. Powder off a few times. Then get someone to take your photograph in a dark room with full flash and look at the results to see if you like them. It's a trial and error thing.
smiles.gif

shamelessmuse

I agree that you have to find the right shade to not end up with a face that appears to be a diffrent color. However, I've had a ton of photos (art sets mainly) taken of me and friends with Bare Minerals on and they have never turned out bad at all, in fact mostly flawless. If you put a drug store or most liquid foundations on my face it would slide off my nose in 2-3 hours tops...

user3

alurabella, this thread is about you and what you need.
So my question is...
What type of foundation are you looking for? Type of coverage, do you have blemishes,texture, etc...
What have you tried and liked? Also what have you tried and disliked?

Yes, Studio Fix can looked washed out in pics. You can use a deep bronzer to fix that problem.

Sushi_Flower I will PM you with the tips in a few days. Sorry I've been a bit busy and I have the doc saved on my other computer.

Sushi_Flower

Nessa - thanks, though it's not that i don't believe you make sure your brides look great with DS foundation, it's just that i don't think i would ever look great and i still think higher end foundations are better. I hope you don't think i'm criticising, just curious as to how you make it work.
I really can't imagine a DS foundation ever pleasing me enough to wear on my wedding day. Iam an NC43 and anything a little bit lighter or darker just doesn't look right so finding a DS foundation that does NC43 replica would be a miracle which i would love.
And don't worry about being slow with sending me tips, take your time.
smiles.gif

Bliegrassbabe - i agree, i LOVE Studio Tech, i will wear that or Studio Fix fluid when i get married if i don't find anything better by then.

Is translucent powder really a bad idea for photographs? I love Blot Powder with Studio Tech

alurabella

Quote:
alurabella, this thread is about you and what you need.
So my question is...
What type of foundation are you looking for? Type of coverage, do you have blemishes,texture, etc...
What have you tried and liked? Also what have you tried and disliked?

Thank you for coming back to this.
smiles.gif

I have an acne problem... I recently started the Murad line, so I'm PRAYING it clears up some by June. But I will most likely need a full coverage foundation. MY skin is oily AND dry. I have skin from hell.
cry.gif

I went to MAC once to get my makeup done, and I can't remember the foundation they used- but I do know it was for dry skin, and was in a compact... it was waaaay too greasy, and shiny on my face. I need something matte that will last.

I also have VERY fair skin. It's extremely difficult to find a foundation in a light enough shade. At the moment, I am using Revlon Colorstay, because it has good coverage, but the color is still just a bit off. Oh, and I do NOT like bare minerals... it dried my skin out. It was awful.

alurabella

Oh, and here's a picture of me, so you can get somewhat of an idea of my fair skin tone... Please excuse my appearance, it's the only picture I could find, even if I do look retarded. 8) (As you can probably tell, my face is still slightly darker than my neck... the color was a shade too dark, as usual.)

322242064_l.jpg

user3

alurabella, I know just what type of skin you have. It no fun but once you find a skin care routine that works for you things will all fall into place.

hmm...considering your skin and color it will be a bit harder to find one that is going to work. Have you tried Dermablend?
My reason for suggest Dermablend is it will give you the full coverage you need and it has lighter colors. For similar coverage to Revlon I would suggest their Smooth Indulgence Foundation in the color nude beige if you are the lightest color in Revlon colorstay.
Using the Setting powder is going to make the foundation stay put but only do a light dusting. Their cover creme can be pretty heavy and if you don't need super full coverage (rosacea etc..) I would suggest for a concealer the quick fix stick. It's still full coverage but not as heavy.

I put the link to the site above with the Dermablend name. I suggest doing the interactive shade selector just to make sure you pick the right colors. Also check out the shade selector chart.

Keep in mind sometimes less is more so if you try it make sure to apply and blend before applying more.

I used Dermablend for several years when my acne was really bad. For the dry spots just make sure you have on a good moisturizer. This will give your face a more even surface for applying the foundation. I suggest using a gel moisturizer. One too creamy will just make you more oily. If you need any suggestion for the moisturizer I really like DHC's Acerola Gel. It's the only one I've liked enough to keep buying. It really helped with my dry spots but didn't increase my oilies. Plus, it has really helped to bring back that glow to my skin.

I've seen dermablend sold in some drugstores. The Long's near me carries it. The online Dermablend store does off " Returns or exchange within 15 days of receipt." so if it doesn't work you are not out any money except the shipping.

Now about the acne.... Have you went to see a derm or just your regular doctor? Getting on something topical might help faster than Murad. I realize you probably invested a good bit of money into the products but you'd be surprised what a topcial med mixed with just a gentle routine can do. Now that my acne is under control I am able to branch out and finally use skin care that will can fight large pores and bring back my youthful glow. Geez it was a long road but totally worth it. I wouldn't except any miracles by June. Sorry don't mean to be downer. Here is why...Let's say a person has battled acne for 10 years. I could take 1/2 that time to correct the condition. The spots left behind will take time to heal plus finding a routine that works for you. If it's hormonal it might require a trip to the Gyno for birth contorl or hormone pills. The best way to cure the acne is to figure out what the cause is and attack it from the root of the problem.

Ok enough with the skincare lecture.
lol.gif

user3

Ok woman I am looking at your pic and I don't see acne....so either you do an awesome job at covering it....or it's not as bad as you think!!!

BTW you have wonderful lips!

I am going to stick with my Dermablend. I know a few peopel might disagree but I am telling it's 80% about the application.

I want to suggest this one primer to you but I am not sure how dry you are. It's a little high priced but if you are super oily it's totally worth it. Only apply it in the oily areas and use a thin coat.
I've been using this for about 2 months now with great results.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P102203&shouldPaginate=true&categ oryId=4326

Oh & I have so many colors coming at me for your wedding day!
greengrin.gif

I am going to send you a PM next with with my ideas.
What are the colors of your wedding?

user3

Geez I keep forgetting things...but I do have a suggestion about color....what about using one of those moistuizers that have a bit of self tanner in them. Only using it below the neck.
you can always put powder bronzer on the face.

alurabella

Wow...so many great ideas! you are a Godsend!! :loveya:
The idea about the self tanner is a good one... what do you think about the gradual-build stuff, like Jergens lotion? Would that work? I'm so scared of turning orange with the other stuff...
lol.gif

Thank you for the compliment of my face... I should show you a clear picture without makeup... it's frightening!

I've never tried Dermablend... but I'm ready to try ANYTHING. So I'll be looking it up asap. I've got a couple months to practice my application techniques...so I should be ok.
smiles.gif

I've never been to a dermatologist. I've tried EVERYTHING over the counter, even Proactive, and it did NOTHING for me. I guess I'm nervous about a derm b/c my skin is super-sensitive. I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide, so I'm so afraid anything prescription strength will just kill me. But I think I'll ask my doc anyway, and see if he thinks I should give a derm a try!

Let's see...what else...oh, my wedding colors! They are primarily ivory and peridot green, with a mix of peach/pink roses everywhere. I also have a lot of asian inspired decorations, such as painted parosols. I can't wait for the big day.
smiles.gif

user3

aww...I just love to help. I mean why waste all this info I got stuck in my head. Consider yourself lucky because you get me for free. LOL I charge a huge grip for even makeup ideas for clients. Of course it's not my prices because I work for a gal who sets up what we charege but none the less...

Yup, any of the gradual ones that just add a hint of color. There's a few out so try what you can. I know Olay makes one and I think L'Oreal just came out with one too. I tried Jergens and I was not impressed...turned me a bit orange. Plus I didn't care for the smell.

As light as you are I wouldn't do an out right self tanner unless you go to one of those spray tan booths.

I would set up an appointment with your regular DR first. Unless you have amazing insurance and you have access to a derm. They totally understand sensitive skin and can even give you oral meds if you are worried about using topical ones. Also keep in mind that many topical meds come in different strenghts.

I'll be PMing you soon with the m/u ideas.
smiles.gif

bluegrassbabe

The MAC foundation you were describing that was greasy sounds like Moistureblend. I tried it for my super-dry skin and it was waaay to greasy and heavy. I always felt like my face was wet when I was wearing it.

If there is an Ulta near you, check them out for the Dermablend. They had some sets with the foundation, powder, and a brush all together. A few weeks ago they were on sale. (sorry, I can't remember the price right now. I remember thinking it was a good price when I saw it)

BTW, in that pic, you don't appear to have acne at all. If that is what it normally looks like, you don't have much to worry about. Maybe your perception of it is worse than it really is.

Latest posts