What are you giving up for 40 days?

couturesista

Although I'm not Catholic, I'm really interested in Lent and it's meaning. I decided to fast for the 40 days of Lent.So in the spirit of LENT, I compiled a list of things to give up and to do in those forty days...

1. Perform random acts of kindness ( I do this already but I can always do more)

2. No gossiping

3. No swearing

4. Pray alot more

5. No complaining or Whinning

I will try to find the joy in everything and everybody. I know this will be hard but I'm up for the challenge. So what are you giving up for LENT or in the spirit of LENT?

couturesista

I understand. I'm not I very relogious person either, but I like the idea of giving up something that's frivilous in the spirit of starting anew.

SuSana

Not to sound rude but when you give up something for Lent you're not supposed to say what it is or ask other people what they are giving up. I know lots of people talk about what they give up but the reason you shouldn't is because you should keep it to yourself instead of making it seem like oh I'm giving up this & this and it's sooooo hard, etc. (I'm not saying this about you, just in general) When you give up something for Lent it should be to better understand how Christ suffered.

Matthew 6:1-4 explains it. Here's part of it:

3 But when you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doing;
4 your almsgiving must be secret, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

Of course you can ask if you want, this was just FYI
smiles.gif

ClaireAvril

well she's not Catholic so she can share what she wants. You don't know have to be religious to just do something good for yourself or others.. so i appreciate couture with starting this.
I am Catholic and I will share what I am going to give up.. when I think of what it is.. lol

X4biddenxLustX

I'm not Catholic or Christian so I'm not familiar with Lent and I was wondering if there was a rule to what you are suppose to give up or how many things you are suppose to give up for 40 days? Just curious =]

couturesista

I understand Susana and in no way am I trying to offend anyone, I just figured it would be inspiring for someone else to hear of how others are giving of themselves and hopefully they would too, not in a religious aspect but in a humility(sp) kind of way. Again I'm not Catholic but I do believe in G_ D and I am blessed everyday for all that he has done for me.

SuSana

^^Oh I understand, I wasn't offended at all
smiles.gif
You said you are interested in the meaning and that is part of it as well that's why I wanted to throw it out there. Another thing that people give up is their time, so to speak, which they put towards volunteering, etc.

chiquilla_loca

I was raised Catholic, and on Fridays, we are not supposed to eat any type of meat. only fish.
And do fasting on certain days.

ClaireAvril

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4biddenxLustX
I'm not Catholic or Christian so I'm not familiar with Lent and I was wondering if there was a rule to what you are suppose to give up or how many things you are suppose to give up for 40 days? Just curious =]

I really want to just say to you.. no rules. Give something up that is going to better yourself and/or other people.
I really like the idea of giving up your time for volunteering. There are so many distress centres/shelters that need help.. or go through your closet and pull out some things you can give away to charity. There are so many things you can do.
no limitations.. just do what you think will make a difference.

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquilla_loca
I was raised Catholic, and on Fridays, we are not supposed to eat any type of meat. only fish.
And do fasting on certain days.

Oh, this explains a lot to me, thank you! I went to an alternative school during my high school years. The school was called Holy Family Learning and it was originally I guess COMPLETELY run by a Catholic organization. But nowadays it's completely non-religious there, it's still run by the Catholic organization though. But no one there is allowed to talk about certain topics which include religion, politics, drugs, alcohol, etc. But anyways we would always have either cheese pizza or breaded fish on Fridays. Never anything with meat though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireAvril
I really want to just say to you.. no rules. Give something up that is going to better yourself and/or other people.
I really like the idea of giving up your time for volunteering. There are so many distress centres/shelters that need help.. or go through your closet and pull out some things you can give away to charity. There are so many things you can do.
no limitations.. just do what you think will make a difference.

Thank you for explaining this to me! And yes I do agree volunteering is a great and productive way to give up your own time to help others in need. I actually had fun helping out at a soup kitchen and nursing home playing bingo with the older folks.

Fataliya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSana
Not to sound rude but when you give up something for Lent you're not supposed to say what it is or ask other people what they are giving up. I know lots of people talk about what they give up but the reason you shouldn't is because you should keep it to yourself instead of making it seem like oh I'm giving up this & this and it's sooooo hard, etc. (I'm not saying this about you, just in general) When you give up something for Lent it should be to better understand how Christ suffered.

Matthew 6:1-4 explains it. Here's part of it:

3 But when you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doing;
4 your almsgiving must be secret, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

Of course you can ask if you want, this was just FYI
smiles.gif

I would say it depends on the culture. My husband is a member of the Pascua Yaqui Tribe. they are Catholic, but their Indian culture is also part of their religion.

Easter is THE holiday for their tribe, and during the ceremonies, they portray the people that crucified Jesus. They also are voluntarily whipped, sleep in the dirt at the church (on the weekends), eat only what is donated to them, march through the town streets, and many other things that I never understood...like eating and sleeping on the floor at home, abstaining from EVERY form of physical contact with their spouses, etc.

The other part of it, is freely discussing what you are giving up for Lent.
th_wink3.gif

chiquilla_loca

There are many different ways that Lent is celebrated around the world.
My best friend is Filipina,
and here is a link that shows how Lent is celebrated in the Phillipines.
www.pbase.com/japayukid/lent
and some info regarding Lent in Mexico, where my mother & husband are from
gomexico.about.com/od/festivalsholidays/p/mexico_lent.htm

ClaireAvril

I think I am going to give up MAC for lent..
I have lots of things I can donate to charity
Eat better - be more active.
I really hope that I can try to stop thinking the worst of people before I get to know them. and just in general try to be a better person. and go to church more often to give thanks for life and friends/family.

TISH1124

I am not Catholic...

But My family (immediate) has given up Soda and Pork...For Health reasons...

chiquilla_loca

Ash Wednesday

Date: 02/25/2009

In the Western Christian calendar, Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent and occurs forty days before Easter (excluding Sundays). It falls on a different date each year, because it is dependent on the date of Easter; it can occur as early as February 4 or as late as March 10.

purrtykitty

I think I'm going to give up junk food and sloth. My body is a temple, and it's about time I started treating it like one and if I stop being lazy, I'm sure I can do something good for at least one person.