What can we talk about here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnaFyre

This came up in another thread, but I'm wondering what exactly can be discussed in this forum and what cannot. I also wonder to what extend the original posters intentions in posting in the beauty of color forum play a part in the decision by mods to move posts around. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Shimmer

Perhaps utilizing the "Contact Us" feature found at the bottom of the page might give you a more personalized answer from the site administration.

Shimmer

Quote:
Beauty of Color Beauty of Color is meant for anyone with a deep skintone. Black, Latin, Asian, Pacific Islander, Middle Eastern, or someone with a killer tan! Want to chat about the brands that work for you, or find out what works for others? Do you have a great tip to share? Whether it's Department or Drugstore brands, talk about it here! Please post your recommendation requests in the proper forum.

And I believe Christine explained that she moved the thread because it doesn't only apply to women of color, but I could be mistaken.
smiles.gif

Janice

How about suggestions from those who use this sub forum, what they would like to see from it, and what their current expectations are for it?

Christine did explain herself and why she moved the thread. I have quoted it for you below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperRealGurl
Beauty of Color is meant for anyone with a deep skintone. Black, Latin, Asian, Pacific Islander, Middle Eastern, or someone with a killer tan! Want to chat about the brands that work for you, or find out what works for others? Do you have a great tip to share? Whether it's Department or Drugstore brands, talk about it here! Please post your recommendation requests in the proper forum.

Anyother post should be placed in the proper forum, recs/swatches/tuts/cosmetic discussions/chatter/ect.. ect..

I felt the need to move this thread for the simple fact that this is a ( Cosmetic Discussion)

hyperRealGurl

Janice and Jamie thank you for posting... I would have gotten to this sooner but i was painting.

OnaFyre: On Specktra before entering the forum section.. this include all forum section on this site, You will see an explaination of what type of forum you are entering. This includes things you are able to post about in that particular section.

In this Forum : "Beauty Of Color" I have a Sticky placed around the top portion " A Note To Read.." I put information out there for the members to read so that way our members will know what type of post is exceptable in this forum.

Located Here:

http://www.specktra.net/showthread.p...520#post637520

Anything that does not belong in this section will be moved
I dont move threads for personal reasons, I move or edit threads because they need to be either edited or moved.

For furture reference if u have any problems or issues with this section please take the time to Pm me so we can discuss this in private.
I have no problems taking the time out to clarify things to our members.

OnaFyre

I'll say it again. Seriously, I wasn't asking about that specific thread. If anything my question was spurred by this comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me220
I'm interested in the opinions of other women of color, which is why I posted this is the women of color forum. (What exactly can we talk about in there anyway, because everything seems to get moved?)

which happened to be in that thread. I also saw Christine's response to why the thread was moved, but I still wanted clarification on why so many threads get moved from the Beauty of Color forum.

I've also read the forum guidelines, but I think they don't fit what I'd like to see in the forum. And I'm not sure why this needs to be discussed in private if others have had similar questions.

In terms of what I'd like to see... I wish there would be a little more thought and consideration for the original poster. As Me220 points out, she posted in the beauty of color form because she wanted to hear specifically, but not exclusively, from other women of color. That's mostly why I post certain things there and other things elsewhere. I think it also opens the discussion up to a lot of unnecessary confrontation (my black Barbie thread and the recent lightful thread are examples). I'm sure there would be static about these highly charged issues no matter where they are posted, but I figured I was cutting down on it by posting in the beauty of color thread as opposed to wherever it ended up getting moved to. I can only assume that Me220 had similar thoughts.

The things that get moved to recs are more complicated because there is a clear place for recs, but I still think there’s value in posting about recs that are specific to people of color in the beauty of color thread.

Which I suppose speaks more generally of what I'd like to see. I originally thought that the beauty of color forum would be a clearinghouse for the many threads that touch on issues of beauty and difference. I've never seen any cross listing on Spectra and don't know if it's possible, but it seems like this would fix a lot of the issues with moving posts around.

I’ve also noticed that these discussions on race happen a lot, and I get the message that it’s not appropriate to bring that up in the beauty of color forum. It might be worthwhile to create a forum focused on it so that those that want to play can, and those that don’t can ignore it. Janice, I also wanted to thank you for your comments and understanding about the possibility of race and identity politics not being safe on Specktra, but these are the tools we are given. I wonder if this might be a good way to use these tools.

Honestly, I'm just glad beauty of color exists and will continue to use it (sometimes posting in the wrong place) even if no changes are made.

hyperRealGurl

This section was created to have ladies of all races to discuss what products worked for them. And the share that information with all of our members. All the topics in relation with Recs.. will be moved to Recs... " and majorty of post in here are realted to Recs thats why they were moved. Black Barbie thread had nothing to do with a cosmetics line working for you which needed to be placed in the Chatter section. Either way if the thread was not moved the same reactions would have been posted. I think sometimes our members forget that Specktra is open to all members.. and that means sections forums topics ect. ect.

I dont second guess my moderating skills, i dont second guess moving post around or editing.

Maybe there are things that we can do to make posting in this section easier or clarify what can be posted. But i thought i did that in the sticky. We are always up for sug. for making our site more plesent for our members and for our future members.

OnaFyre

Quote:
This section was created to have ladies of all races to discuss what products worked for them. And the share that information with all of our members. All the topics in relation with Recs.. will be moved to Recs... " and majorty of post in here are realted to Recs thats why they were moved. Black Barbie thread had nothing to do with a cosmetics line working for you which needed to be placed in the Chatter section. Either way if the thread was not moved the same reactions would have been posted. I think sometimes our members forget that Specktra is open to all members.. and that means sections forums topics ect. ect.

I dont second guess my moderating skills, i dont second guess moving post around or editing.

Maybe there are things that we can do to make posting in this section easier or clarify what can be posted. But i thought i did that in the sticky. We are always up for sug. for making our site more plesent for our members and for our future members.

Wow, this post makes me think that suggestions are not at all welcomed or valued. So I'll just shut up. Nevermind, forget I said anything. Sorry for wasting your time.

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaFyre
Wow, this post makes me think that suggestions are not at all welcomed or valued. So I'll just shut up. Nevermind, forget I said anything. Sorry for wasting your time.

1: ur not wasting my time
2: if u read the bottom protion of my post u will see where i stated suj are always welcomed
3: Everything that i stated in my post as for moving post around i stand by 100%

I have guidelines i follow by and i will follow them. All i stated was if a thread is started in here that does not belong in here then i will take whatever steps that needs to be taken.

i said it once and ill say it again...

"We are always up for Suj." You can publicly voice ur suj in a thread... you can Pm me. either way i will take everything into consideration. my job is not to create problems but to try to resolve them and to make "the beauty of color" section or more plesant place to post"

Shimmer

I really feel compelled to point out that this forum (WoC) was created the day it was suggested. Users pointed out an area of weakness in the site and literally almost immediately the administration resolved the issue.

ARmakeupjunkie

To answer the question that Janice had earlier, I would like to see the threads that are directed at Women of Color be posted here and not moved even if someone thinks its a Rec or a Discussion or whatever. When I want to know how a color looks on someone with my skintone, I want to be able to ask in this sub form and it not be moved to Rec or whathaveyou. If I am looking for the opinion of another Women of Color on a cosmetics or skincare product, I would like to be able to post in this sub form.

Shimmer

A recommendation is a recommendation.
A color story/cosmetic discussion is exactly that, that's what those forums are for.
If that's what those forums are for, that's where threads that fall under them are supposed to be moved to.
smiles.gif

prinzessin784

why do we have to be segregated so much? I find a lot of interesting topics in the Beauty of Color section that I sometimes don't feel like I am welcome to comment on b/c I am an NW15.

If you want a color swatched on a particular skin tone, why can't you specify that in the post in the recommendation section? I think that's pretty common. It's not like there is a special NW15 forum or NW25 forum and there doesn't need to be! Why exclude the help you could get from someone who isn't the same color as you?

Beauty Mark

This subsection isn't meant to not include people or only be about other people. I don't know what the OP is about exactly or to what she's referring, but the basic idea of this forum is for the discussion of cosmetics and PoC. It's an organizational tactic, like I separate my lipsticks from my eyeshadows.

I don't know if it's just me, but this forum has always been open and welcome to ANYONE wanting to learn or contribute to the discussion. I've posted once before about wanting know how to do makeup for someone of a different color than I (I'm Asian, btw), and everyone was nice and helpful.

OnaFyre

Quote:
1: ur not wasting my time
2: if u read the bottom protion of my post u will see where i stated suj are always welcomed
3: Everything that i stated in my post as for moving post around i stand by 100%

I have guidelines i follow by and i will follow them. All i stated was if a thread is started in here that does not belong in here then i will take whatever steps that needs to be taken.

i said it once and ill say it again...

"We are always up for Suj." You can publicly voice ur suj in a thread... you can Pm me. either way i will take everything into consideration. my job is not to create problems but to try to resolve them and to make "the beauty of color" section or more plesant place to post"

I did in fact read the bottom of your post, and I felt that everything you said previous totally negated and contradicted it. Janice asked for people oppionions on this forum, I gave mine. But if you don't second guess moving posts around, then you probably won't take most or any of what I said into consideration because most of it had to do with moving posts. So, again, sorry for wasting your time.

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
I did in fact read the bottom of your post, and I felt that everything you said previous totally negated and contradicted it. Janice asked for people oppionions on this forum, I gave mine. But if you don't second guess moving posts around, then you probably won't take most or any of what I said into consideration with the possibilty of making a change based on something I said as most of it had to do with moving posts. So, again, sorry for wasting your time.

Dont tell me how i am or how i perceive things.

and once again you didnt waste my time

claresauntie

I've posted in Beauty of Color and I'm not "of color". I found it to be a very friendly place. I do agree that there may be a benefit to having cosmetics discussions remain in the BoC section, as there are specific issues women of color can help other women of color with. Those who wish to read/view/discuss/assist and aren't women of color should feel free to enter and participate, as many of us do.

I'm one of the folks who is Not of Color (very fair) and we have some things we like to toss around with other pigment-challenged folks. Being fair is not the same as being "of color" in a social, cultural or historical sense, but strictly from a cosmetics standpoint there are similarities. An NC 35 doesn't understand what I go through to find foundation, and I don't have a clear picture of some of the needs of a NW 55. Of course, there are artists "on board" who can chime in on any of these topics. That's the beauty of Specktra!

Could folks post their swatch requests or cosmetics discussions in the "appropriate" forum, then link to that from BoC and discuss the "of color" aspects of it? Just tossing it out, though I think it's silly.

Quote:
I’ve also noticed that these discussions on race happen a lot, and I get the message that it’s not appropriate to bring that up in the beauty of color forum. It might be worthwhile to create a forum focused on it so that those that want to play can, and those that don’t can ignore it...

... Janice, I also wanted to thank you for your comments and understanding about the possibility of race and identity politics not being safe on Specktra, but these are the tools we are given. I wonder if this might be a good way to use these tools.

Would these conversations be appropriate in Deep Thoughts? Chatter?

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
Could folks post their swatch requests or cosmetics discussions in the "appropriate" forum, then link to that from BoC and discuss the "of color" aspects of it? Just tossing it out, though I think it's silly

Actually ur idea is not silly at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts